Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Senior Housing

Message 11 of 22

I agree, trying to find affordable senior housing is hard. I don't need assisted living. I live in a northern suburb of Detroit, MI  now in a 55 + mobile community. I lease a small 2 bedroom. Almost 900.00 rent plus all utilities. Souch for helping seniors with affordable housing. I'm 65, still working so this is doable (?) For now. Not when I retire. And only get maybe 1800. A month. No pension. 

There are many new senior living places being built. No way could I ever live in these. 1500-4000. A month. 

It's a shame we can't find affordable senior housing in desirable areas.

May have to move any from family and go south. Sad. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

The senior housing I have checked into is $3000 to $4000 per month!  I have too much to qualify for assisstance and not enough to live in the community.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

Wow ! $91 that is a great rent price. I live in senior housing (independent living) and I pay $378. Our building is HUD regulated. Sometimes it is a pain. But the activies are plenty. I myself have a coloring group twice a month. But don't necessarily go to every activity. In order to get our rent amount they subtract our medical cost that we had they the year and them we pay one third of what is left. We are recertified each year. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

You make good points on what list of needs seem best for serving senior housing.  I think a community to be able to say most or all these needs are within a 10 minute drive to 85 or 90% of not only seniors but far majority of the city residents. If a community lacks a good public transportation system, perhaps the new uber ride share  can be done part of the answer.   If a community values it's seniors, efforts are made  accomplish needed services.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

You make good points on what list of needs seem best for serving senior housing.  I think a community to be able to say most or all these needs are within a 10 minute drive to 85 or 90% of not only seniors but far majority of the city residents. If a community lacks a good public transportation system, perhaps the new uber ride share  can be done part of the answer.   If a community values it's seniors, efforts are made compromise needed services.  

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

Luckily we have several kids so we just sold our house and do a round robin of visiting!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22

i'm 65 and in a regular apt complex. the senior housing around me is either assisted living or convelencent. I am looking for a modern upbeat place that offers the same amenities as a reguar apt except affordable. They are building two new senior housing near me but I am waiting to see what they will be.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22
Live in senior housing in So Nevada; rent just went up $91 month, I did not get a raise. Carefree Senior property is greedy.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

I will be in my senior apt 1 year on Aug 8th and I love it.  Of course, it's the first time I've ever been on my own at 68 and I thank God for allowing me to do this at the end.  My journey here wasn't really planned, but it was in God's plan.  Since I was 14, I've always wanted a girl and boy, but didn't consider that I needed a man, and God provided one.  We moved into a 1-1/2 room apt, got married and had my girl and boy and after 8 years, bought a 2 flat and lived there for 10 years and then bought a tri-level house in suburbia to escape the gangs so our children only had to think about education.  After 11 years to the month, my beloved husband passed away and I had to go it alone which was rough because it was no fun without him.  We had planned to grow old together but I guess it wasn't meant to be.  13 years after my husband passed, lost my job (Madoff cause and effect) and I managed to hold onto the house with home equity in arrears for 11 years before foreclosure.  2 years prior I started putting in applications for senior housing based on my due diligence and then my daughter said I was moving with them to TX, so I had all my stuff packed, canceled my applications only to find out that she had faked me out because my son-in-law wanted me to move with them.  6 months before foreclosure, I started looking at trailer homes communities and found one which looked promising and then they started making excuses and showing me trailer homes that should have been torn down.  Then I started looking for hotels that rented by the week and month for short term.  Low and behold, 2 weeks before I had to move out of a home I had lived in for 33 years, I get a call from a senior citizen community which I thought I had canceled.  They told me if I still wanted an apartment, I needed to come in to fill out forms.  2 days before I had to move out, I was moving into a newly decorated senior apartment.  I know God had my back and knew what was best for me and he brought me here right on time and I will forever be thanking him.  Of course I've run across females who will stare at me when I say hello and males will speak no matter what and I see that as those females' problems and not mine.  Bottomline, I am happy and I don't have to worry about cutting grass, water or gas bill and I go grocery shopping once a month as usual.  With the laundromat being on the premises, it's almost like the home I left except my washer and dryer were better but I'm not complaining - just happy, happy. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

I am 77 and have applied to independant senior housing but am still conflicted about leaving my moble home. I am happy in my home but am finding it difficult to maintain it because of lack of help.

How have other people dealt with this situation?  The senior houseing I have applied to has almost all of the available nearby amenities listed in the previous post with the exception of public transportation, but I still like my home and gardens etc. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors