AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Senior Housing

Message 21 of 22

Thanks for posting this!

It is difficult to find affordable options - my mother was looking at places in NYC, and the entrance fees + ongoing monthly rates are unbelievably high.

If there was a good transportation option (e.g., regular bus services), and good food available at a residence, would you be interested in living in a lower cost area outside the city?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Senior Housing

Message 22 of 22

It's been a challenge to find AFFORDABLE senior housing for myself in Chicago, IL. Before my last birthday I was looking for 55+ housing and it was nearly non-existent. But now I'm 62 and more options are available. Last year, I'd visited a place I really liked from the outside, got a waiting-list application, and they called recently because they have a unit available. But I have a lease now for my current apartment until August and I'm just not ready to pack up and move again already. This is my first apartment on my own again since 8/2011 and I kinda like it here. However, I am considering the new place for my 80 y.o. mother. She lives in Independent Senior housing now, but the place is basically in the middle of nowhere. My sister found/chose the place and at the time, I did not have the means/transportation to check other options.

The main reason I'm posting about this is to give a heads-up to others like me, who might be looking for Independent Senior housing. I have a short checklist I've been working on and thought others should consider these items. Most are beyond what the property manager will tell you when you take a tour.

* Nearest grocery store? Grocery delivery available?

* Is there a bank branch/ATM for your bank nearby?

* Proximity to public transportation (bus, train)? Taxi service?

* Nearest hospital/Urgent Care facility? Proximity to your doctor's office?

* Closest Pharmacy to get meds and sundry items?

* Closest restaurants for dine-in and/or delivery?

* Closest shopping mall/mini mall?

* Closest dry cleaners? Do they have pick-up/delivery?

* Closest place to worship/church?

* Proximity to other entertainment - Movie theater? Library? Local shopping? Parks? Museums?

* What are the Senior Transportation options if you don't drive/have a car?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Share your best experiences traveling while caregiving.

woman taking selfie with man in wheelchair on the beach

Top Authors