Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Senior House Sharing

Has anyone tried house sharing? How did you get started and how did it work out?

Regular Contributor

I'm so excited about this forum!

I've been involved with organizations working to elevate the shared housing concept for the past 12 years. Sharing truly is a worldwide phenomenon that  eases financial burden, eliminates isolation and can help with aging in place. Good to see this concept becoming a lifestyle choice!

There are several resources around that can make choosing a housemate a success, not a nightmare. The one that comes to mind is Sharing Housing, a deep resource for home sharing aimed at our demographic. Annamarie Pluhar is an authority on shared housing and has lots of incredible advice, a Q & A she conducts and lots of forms to help in finding the perfect housemate.

I am on Facebook as The Share, interested in the concept of sharing and community. I've also started a webpage and a youTube channel that features authors, authorities and interviews with folks who are experts in sharing housing.

Let me know if you've found a successful match and if you know others who successfully share housing and want to be interviewed. I am always looking for ways to help others view shared housing as a positive lifestyle choice.

Zoe

Zoe email signature digital nomad.png

Periodic Contributor

I have a home to share!  It is in Woodstock, Il.,  truly "A Little Piece of Heaven on 4 acres".  It has a creek running through it, a pond, huge oak trees, making it a glorious peaceful haven. The house has 3700 sq. ft., completely furnished. You have a very large private bedroom, private bath, a very large family room with shared rest of the house. I am looking for a lady, compatible with me to share.

Woodstock is a very active town and has tons of activities It is the place for the filming of Ground Hog Day, The Home of "Dick Tracy" a very beautiful Town Square with a huge Gazebo in the center that touts loads of summer concerts, entertainment, and information.  There is always something happening. If you would like more information, please contact me.

Are you still looking for someone? I would love a place like that. Leanne 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Some folks in Woodstock NY just rolled out a program & are looking for homeowners.

https://www.timesunion.com/hudsonvalley/news/article/homeshare-woodstock-affordable-housing-18327680...

0 Kudos

Is this Still available?

Contributor

Senior house/lot sharing is something I am also considering.  Or using my RV set-up as an airbnb.   Feedback from anyone who has perhaps done this?

Periodic Contributor

I actually have both. I have 4 acres....plenty of space for RVS as well as a large home, 3700 sq. ft. to share. Ay thoughts, p;ease contact me.  Joni

Honored Social Butterfly

There is an article, on this website, that discusses this issue.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Periodic Contributor

Help me out...I could not find it!

Thanks

Honored Social Butterfly

Go into the main AARP screen on this website (just click on AARP logo in upper left of the screen).

In the search box (upper right on screen), key in 'shared housing'. You will find links to a number of articles.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Trusted Social Butterfly

@sr93832254 

Hello SR,

I've never tried it myself, but my mother did.  But we need to take into consideration that she passed away 20 years ago this month.  

She ran newspaper ads for room for rent in paper, she had a rental agreement with a deposit for renter to sign, allowed them to us a section of refrigerator/freezer for food which was initialed, charged them to wash their clothes weekly, they were responsible for there own personal items and detergents for washing, responsible for keeping room clean & vaccumed (her vacuum)/no eating in room, weekly, bi-wkly or monthly rent payments from renters,etc.  

Two story house with (2) bedrooms and full bath upstairs for renters

I'd try it myself but different kind of people in the world today, even seniors.  I'd really need to know them well, or get a background check.

I hope this gives you some ideasSmiley Happy

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP