Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Need help with transportation

Hello everyone.  I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but maybe the moderator can move it to the right spot if I've made a mistake.  

Anyway, to make a long story as short as I can, my wife and I are both seniors, I have mental disabilites, and we both just returned to the US after living overseas fof several years.  Actually, I was homeless for a while in California, but after much struggle, my wife and I now have an apartment in North Carolina. This is the first time we've been reunited in many years, and we are both very happy.

However, there is a minor problem.  We live in an unincorporated area of the county, and the public transit buses do not run in our area.  So, now we are having real difficulty getting to the grocery store and to the laundry mat on our own. Sometimes we can get another resident in our apartment complex to drive us, but they want $20.00 - $25.00 for a trip to the store, and they don't want to wail long while we are shopping.  So, now we are desperate to find another way to get around.

I've tried calling the county, but I've just gotten the run around from them.  Someone told me that there is an organization known as the Agency on Aging, but I cannot seem to find them, and I don't know if they will be help to offer any assistance.  

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Bronze Conversationalist

@EricW236758 

I checked out the website for the North Carolina DHHS Aging and Adult Services They are located in Raleigh. They seem to have many programs that may be of help to you. The phone number is (919) 855-3400. One of the services they mention is for transportation. I hope this can help you to get the help that you and your wife can use.

Regular Contributor

Thank you, Bronze.  I will try and contact the North Carolina DHHS Aging and Adult Services tomorrow.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP