Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

House Rich on Fixed Income? In the USA 54 MILLION spare rooms stand empty. Share Housing!

Regular Contributor

House Rich on Fixed Income? In the USA 54 MILLION spare rooms stand empty. Share Housing!

There are LOTS of public and private home matching programs that are a lifeline to safe secure housemates. 

This is a great option for folks who are house rich on fixed incomes or wanting to age in place successfully.  Our shared housing program in Sarasota has been shuttered but there are lots of other options.  

54 MILLION .png

Trusted Social Butterfly

(1 comment) @ZuZuTheShare , what about SAFETY? So many folks out there with PERFECT background checks but have issues. Issues that could create an UNSAFE environment for others.  👵

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Spring, I don't recommend ANYONE choose a homemate right off the street. Our group advocates for choosing housemates by using an existing network: it's likely your network contains people with a similar background as yourself, and thus would NOT be criminals. Think about your own network. Your church, philanthropy, activities you share with others. Hopefully your own network can provide a good working list for making wise decisions. 

Everyone do their due diligience and THOROUGHLY vet  potential housemates, not just choose the first person who comes along looking for home to share. There are also many programs across the US that offer matching services and do significant vetting to make secure and safe matches. 

Working through the The Blueprint Of We will also provide a very good base for  getting to the core of a potential housemate selection: https://collaborationstore.com/products/housemates-blueprint-of-we-template-collaboration-coaching?v...

Willy-Nilly isn't in the cards in any shared housing scenario, particularly one that hinges on crisis.  Building strong support communities is a process and it's one that I advocate for in order to make successful and safe decisions.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(1 comment) @ZuZuTheShare , I am NOT interested in any roommates. Luv living by myself at age 66 this year 2024. I am an Advocate for the Homeless who are AGE 50 AND OLDER after being homeless myself at age 59.

I will agree to disagree on how safe all this is = respect what you are doing, but do not agree.

Good luck!!!  👵

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Those who choose to will, and those who wish to will find resources available for them to do so

https://nationalsharedhousing.org/program-directory/

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP