Trusted Contributor

🏑 11 Senior Housing Options for Every Level of Care (AARP)

πŸ‘‰  Any comments? πŸ€”

πŸ‘‰  DATE OF ARTICLE: November 18, 2022 By Deborah Schoch, AARP.

πŸ“‹ Housing ranks among the biggest monthly expenses, but few older adults consider the most appropriate home settings for their needs until a family member or other caregiver presses for a move or an accident necessitates it.β€― 

β€œSome people are in such denial and think they can live where they are forever,” says Robyn Golden, codirector of the Center for Excellence in Aging and chair of the Department of Social Work at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.

πŸ‘‰

LINK TO ONLINE AARP ARTICLE 

➑️To reply to this post, click on REPLY BUTTON at bottom of this post, enter your text, then click REPLY BUTTON again.⬅️

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“FROM THE ARTICLE

5. House sharing. Golden Girls, a 1980s sitcom about four older women who become housemates, made this option famous. And boomers are embracing the idea.  

Gray divorce has left many older people single. Sharing a home with friends or strangers helps reduce costs while adding companionship. The arrangement can involve buying or renting a home together, or one person owning the home and the others paying rent.  

Housemates can be of similar age or entirely different generations. In fact, taking on a much younger housemate who can provide some caregiving and transportation assistance in exchange for a reduced rent is one way for an older person to continue living in their own home.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰Any comments? πŸ€”

Housing ranks among the biggest monthly expenses, but few older adults consider the most appropriate home settings for their needs until a family member or other caregiver presses for a move or an accident necessitates it.β€― 

β€œSome people are in such denial and think they can live where they are forever,” says Robyn Golden, codirector of the Center for Excellence in Aging and chair of the Department of Social Work at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.

πŸ‘‰

➑️To reply to this post, click on REPLY BUTTON at bottom of this post, enter your text, then click REPLY BUTTON again.⬅️

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I’ve been trying to put  together a place similar to a Golden Girls format in the Los Angeles area for a long time. I’ve tried posting in various places in Facebook Groups, etc. it’s very hard to find the right target market. But when push comes to shove most people want a β€œtoo good to be true” deal or they’re unwilling to do any of the leg work. Finding like minded people is very difficult, especially as we age and become less flexible with our willingness to compromise! I guess I need help!! Anyone out there??

Trusted Contributor

@MissyZ528418 , do you have a LOA (local office of aging) in your area. I have found them an awesome resource in my life. They also have events throughout the year. Maybe you can attend them and network. Unlike you, no more roommates for me. The last one when I was in my 20's took off without paying her landline long-distance phone bill. Phone was in my name. Please stop by again when you can πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“  FROM THE ARTICLE

4. Cohousing. Designed to encourage socializing with neighbors, these communities may be multigenerational and typically feature attached or semidetached single-family homes. Because residents participate in joint activities such as cooking and recreation, cohousing is best suited for older adults who enjoy living close to their neighbors, says Golant at the University of Florida. Neighbors typically share the cost of maintaining communal areas, such as gardens, recreational spaces and parking, but not the individual dwellings, he says. β€œIn some communities, the neighbors might share the cost of hiring a temporary independent caregiver,” Golant says. But in general, he adds, cohousing is for active seniors who don’t require continual self-care.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰Any comments? πŸ€”

Housing ranks among the biggest monthly expenses, but few older adults consider the most appropriate home settings for their needs until a family member or other caregiver presses for a move or an accident necessitates it.β€― 

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would love to find a Co-housing anywhere in the LA County, Ventura County or Orange County. I’m 72, lower income.

Trusted Contributor

πŸ“FROM THE ARTICLE

1. Accessory dwelling units (ADUs). These small apartments, often called granny flats or mother-in-law suites, may be an addition to a family member’s house or a separate home on the property. β€œIt’s an easy way to take care of Mom,” says Yvonne Cudney, community outreach and education coordinator at the University of Michigan Health Housing Bureau for Seniors. More jurisdictions in Sun Belt states and metropolitan areas are making it easier to add ADUs. Their popularity has increased in the past two decades, especially in the most unaffordable housing markets in the country, says Stephen M. Golant, a professor of geography at the University of Florida who specializes in housing for older adults.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰Any comments? πŸ€”

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ‘‰1/7/23 10:30pm ESTπŸ‘ˆ

πŸ“ Accessory dwelling units (ADUs).

So glad Osceola County in Florida "allows" these. Hoping to move back to Florida this year 2023 or next year 2024. Living in Cave Spring, Virginia. Anyone from Florida or Virginia? I retired July 2020. Thanks, Nicole πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Virginia is a beautiful state. My wife would never agree to Florida. Hurricanes, heat, and, most of all, HUGE bugs are her reasons.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
ShowΒ Β onlyΒ  | Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP