Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿก 11 Senior Housing Options for Every Level of Care (AARP Article)

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿก 11 Senior Housing Options for Every Level of Care (AARP Article)

โ–ถ๏ธโ€ŒTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

READ comments, ADD comment.โ€Œ

๐Ÿ—ฃ  November 18, 2022 By Deborah Schoch, AARP.

โ€Œ๐Ÿ‘‰โ€ŒLink to information๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

Nicole ๐Ÿก (Housing Forum)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone live in one or would like to? ๐Ÿค” They are too "pricey" for me! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

โ–ถ๏ธAge-restricted communities.โ—€๏ธ

By law, at least 80 percent of the homes in these communities must include one resident age 55 or older, but most set that percentage threshold even higher. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone living in these or would like to? ๐Ÿค” I have not and have zero interest. 

โ€Œโ–ถ๏ธโ€ŒSenior apartments.โ—€๏ธ

These rental units are typically restricted to people 55 and older and may include age-friendly features, such as limited stairs and grab bars.

Nicole โ€Œ๐Ÿกโ€Œ (Housing Forum)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone living in one or would like to? ๐Ÿค” I have never but would like to.

โ€Œโ–ถ๏ธโ€ŒAccessory dwelling units (ADUs).โ—€๏ธ

These small apartments, often called granny flats or mother-in-law suites, may be an addition to a family memberโ€™s house or a separate home on the property. 

Nicole โ€Œ๐Ÿกโ€Œ (Housing Forum)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

All of the suggestions are great! And I have thought of all of them. However, I presently live in Las Vegas. My plan is to move back to the Los Angeles area. I have no one to put flyers in senior centers or super markets in the various areas I wish to live. Iโ€™m completely alone. I will probably need to interview with property owners on a live video chat. And see the properties that way. Most people who say they really want to find like minded people to rent with are really saying they will not be the one to go look at the actual property once it seems appropriate to rent. They wonโ€™t make phone calls or do the leg work. Most people want a deal thatโ€™s too good to be true and someone else should do all the research.That is why, in my opinion this great idea has never come to fruition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Cohousing. Designed to encourage socializing with neighbors, these communities may be multigenerational and typically feature attached or semidetached single-family homes. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Iโ€™ve been trying to put  together a place similar to a Golden Girls format in the Los Angeles area for a long time. Iโ€™ve tried posting in various places in Facebook Groups, etc. itโ€™s very hard to find the right target market. But when push comes to shove most people want a โ€œtoo good to be trueโ€ deal or theyโ€™re unwilling to do any of the leg work. Finding like minded people is very difficult, especially as we age and become less flexible with our willingness to compromise! I guess I need help!! Anyone out there??

Periodic Contributor

May I suggest making a flyer to post at Senior Centers in your area? Some of us are not active on "social media" for various reasons. Some supermarkets have a bulletin board near the bathrooms that you can post on. Look on meetup.com for senior groups, join them and "market" your idea to folks you meet there.... Think of where your "target market" might go regularly: coffee, shopping, movies, laundermat, library, church/temple, salad bar, yoga, etc. Figure out a way to reach them. Plan a meeting, pick a space to meet, date/time, and publicize it; make sure to say What it's about, Who it's for, Where and When to meet, How the housing will work, and Why people might be interested...and an email and phone # to contact you with. (I suggest setting up a special email and Google Voice # just for this, forwarded to your regular email/phone if you want.) Good luck!

I've been away from L.A. for a long time. What area are you looking to do this in? Just curious.

Periodic Contributor

Iโ€™m very flexible as to where I would be willing to live .Iโ€™m willing to live in the LA County area( my first preference), San Gabriel Valley, Orange County or Ventura County. I raised my family in Thousand Oaks and would love to live in the Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks/Camarillo areas. But Orange County or the San Fernando Valley is great too. As I said, Iโ€™m very flexible but most people are not. They will say they must live in a Beach Community but will not pay more than $600 per mo. For a private room. Well, for those locations I wouldnโ€™t live in a place that only cost $600 per month. If it sounds too good to be true it is!! So donโ€™t expect miracles. They wonโ€™t appear in LA area rentals!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

โœ…๏ธโ–ถ๏ธSenior apartments.โ—€๏ธ

These rental units are typically restricted to people 55 and older and may include age-friendly features, such as limited stairs and grab bars.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would love to find a Co-housing anywhere in the LA County, Ventura County or Orange County. Iโ€™m 72, lower income.

Anonymous
Not applicable

โœ…๏ธโ–ถ๏ธAge-restricted communities.โ—€๏ธ

By law, at least 80 percent of the homes in these communities must include one resident age 55 or older, but most set that percentage threshold even higher. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

โœ…๏ธโ–ถ๏ธAccessory dwelling units (ADUs).โ—€๏ธ

These small apartments, often called granny flats or mother-in-law suites, may be an addition to a family memberโ€™s house or a separate home on the property. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Virginia is a beautiful state. My wife would never agree to Florida. Hurricanes, heat, and, most of all, HUGE bugs are her reasons.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP