Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Conversationalist

Re: sunscreen brands

Message 11 of 19

Alba Botanicals makes an emollient spray (spf 50). While it isn't mineral based, it is free from the potentially harmful hormone disrupting ingredient, oxybenzone. As a former RN, I choose to steer clear of that particular ingredient, considering that our skin is our largest organ and we are covering it in sunscreen. I had skin cancer (posted my story above), and no matter which sunscreens we select, be sure to consider the following for proper protection...
1. cover should be our FIRST line of protection (glasses, hats, shirts with shoulder coverage, umbrellas, shade.
2. Those with highly sensitive (reactionary) skin might find mineral based sunscreens less irritating.
3. Check your brands out against the very reliable information on the Environmental Working Group website. How does your brand/specific product rank? 

4. Know that there are sometimes BIG differences within brands, both in ingredients, concentrations, and effectiveness.

5. NEVER use expired (or even nearly expired) sunscreen. Your skin will thank you.

6. Know that mineral sunscreen is IMMEDIATELY effective, while chemical sunscreens absolutely need 15-20 minutes to begin to be protective.
7. REAPPLY! I know it's a pain, but definitely reapply your product every 60-80 minutes (60 min for fair skinned, sun sensitive, former severe burns, and/or those with history of skin cancer).
As for vitamin D production, it's a hugely important nutrient. Talk to your doc about checking your levels, especially if you spend little time in the sun. Medical opinions vary, but 20 minutes of daily exposure (without sunscreen) is generally considered the balance of safe/effective for vitamin D production.  Hope this info proves helpful to those who might not already be aware.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 19

Which sunscreen do I buy?  Melaleuca Sun Shades® Mineral Plus SPF 30+ Sunscreen, I love all their products.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 19

@ActionForAging   I usually do not take the time to watch videos but this was a very nice presentation.  Thank you for posting.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Conversationalist

Message 14 of 19
I talked about this in sharing my Skin Cancer (on my face) story. If you'd like to know the difference between chemical and mineral sunscreens, which is my own fave and why, I invite you to take a look, and to please give it a thumbs up, so our collective voice, over 50, can be recognized. Peace! ~Toni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDX8EiVtHs
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 19

I've been using Aveeno baby suncreen with a 55 SPF. I'm a redhead (or was. I'm gray now) and my skin tends to be sensitive to chemicals. I do tan, some, a little, sort of. But I'm in the sun a lot. (And I live in Colorado, so you know it is strong sun at elevation). 

DH uses 'whatever' with a 60 or better SPF. He's got darker skin and tans easily. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 16 of 19

Suddenly, after years of using Neutrogena SPF 70+ Beach Defense, just last week I had a huge skin reaction on my arms and chest.  Bumps, huge red itchy bumps, all over. 

Switched immediately to Babyganics Mineral Based Sunscreen and my skin has almost completely healed up.  I have used it every day for 8 days now (I had melanoma in 2007, so I always use sunscreen) and it is working wonderfully.

I would love to find a 'spray' (that doesn't spray out as cream which needs to be rubbed in) that is mineral based but so far am very happy with this product.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 19

Always purchase some offbrand, rather than namebrand. Doesn't seem to matter to us which kind it is. We do a fair amount of travel, and most of that travel is mountain hiking, so we go through a lot of sunscreen. Even being out half a day at 12,000 feet, for days in a row,  has not been a problem with any of the sunscreen we've purchased.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 19

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

sunscreen brands

Message 19 of 19

Which sunscreen brand do you prefer?  I used to use almost anything  from the grocery store as long as it was fairly high SPF, but have recently become more careful about brands.  Last one I bought was Kiss My Face, hoping to avoid some of the more questionable ingredients.  Turns your skin a bit white but that is an advantage for me as I have rosacea.

Astraea I look foward to your input!    I recall how much effort you put into finding a good moisturizer.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors