Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Your Top High-Fiber Foods

Fiber is an important nutrient, especially for gut health, and most people don't get enough. Are you getting enough fiber in your diet? This important nutrient can be found in many foods, some of which might surprise you! Watch this video for a fiber primer and earn AARP Rewards points!

What are your favorite high-fiber foods? One of my faves is quinoa. Not only is it high in fiber, but it also is a good source of plant-based protein 💪 Check out this Mediterranean Chickpea Quinoa Bowl recipe, which contains both high-fiber quinoa and chickpeas 😋

Contributor

Cuban Black Beans and Rice made with Brown Rice. Yum!

My favorite snack or even breakfast is a whole sliced apple which I dip into Amazing Grass Green Superfood, sounds wacky but really is delicious. Sometimes when I feel super indulgent I'll add in some peanut powder for protein and just because....peanut butter, YUM!

Social Butterfly

@KathleenS324179  Checked out the product, it sounds like a great supplement.

0 Kudos

Popcorn, berries (all kinds), and sweet peppers of all colors and sizes - all are staple foods for me

Community Manager
Community Manager

I've been eating soo many red and orange bell peppers recently. They've been sweet and tasty!

0 Kudos

I love quinoa and garbanzo beans with avocado.  However, I have struggled with seasoning to my liking.  I am excited to use this recipe to introduce new flavors to my pallet.

Thank you for the recipe.

Community Manager
Community Manager

What types of flavors do you like @DeniseS749682? I've recently started adding nutritional yeast to a lot of things. I like to mix it with dill, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and salt and pepper. Adjust the amounts to your liking!

Periodic Contributor

First - I love that recipe! I have to pick up the jar of peppers, as that is not a pantry staple for me, but most of the rest of the ingredients are. Always happy to add a tasty new healthy recipe to my rotation! 

Second, I love quinoa, chickpeas, avocados, berries, nuts, oats, barley, figs (fresh are the best, but dried if I must), and leafy greens of all types. Just scored some beet greens from a friend who only wanted the roots, so they are part of tomorrow's dinner plan 😉 

Learn something new, walk somewhere beautiful, and be grateful every day,
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad you love the recipe @slywlf54! What did you make with the beet greens?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

A simple saute with garlic and sesame oil, then a light drizzle of rice vinegar, a treatment that I have found works well with most soft leafy greens.

Learn something new, walk somewhere beautiful, and be grateful every day,

Apples, avocados and whole grain bread!

Social Butterfly

@tschrank Yum to all three.  Welcome to the community.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I don't have a fovorite fiber food but I eat a high fiber breakfast. Original Cheerios with Original Fibre One, and 2 dried prunes

Trusted Contributor

Kellogg's All Bran Buds

Social Butterfly

Whole wheat crusted meat lovers pizza!

Conversationalist

Does anybody love hummus like I do?! I make carrot, or spinach or yellow mini pepper, it goes great with sweet potatoes! I make my own without oil and my sons favorite is spinach.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love hummus! How do you make it without oil? Do you add something else?

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

May I say- green vegetables made into a delicious smoothie! I use Kale, cucumber, spinach, parsley,celery and lettuce.

Another favorite of mine is -Limey Love shake- 1 cucumber, 1/2 avocado,1-2 hands baby spinach ( can use regular) ,1-2 peeled limes ( check it after using the 1 lime, because it might be too tart for you), 8-12 ice cubes ( I usually add cold water) and stevia, if want. It tastes so delicious!

Bronze Conversationalist

I enjoy eating rolled oats (oatmeal) sometimes for breakfast, or sometimes for dinner.  I always add diced apples.  Next on my high fiber list are carrots.  I grow my own and pull whatever I need just before I steam or shred them.  Often I make quiche mixing my home-grown carrots with eggs from my chickens.  I add the green fluffy carrot tops, too, for fiber, taste, and nutrition.  They're a good substitute for parsley.  

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mmm quiche! And homegrown carrots! I am also a fan of using the carrot tops as a sub for parsely.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I have whole grain oatmeal for breakfast every morning with a topping of walnuts. Also, the black beans and avocados go well together with whole grain brown rice. Mixed nuts are a great snack with fiber and minerals. Veggies, too! 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Social Butterfly

@MaVolta All sounds good, when should I come over? 😄

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Good afternoon Boys and Girls my favorite is Green Apples high in good Fiber

Racquel Evans
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Perfect timing!  Signed up with a nutritionist for a few sessions, and she told me that pairing protein with fiber, helps to balance blood sugar.  I just got diagnosed last year as pre-diabetic, so this recipe is a winner. Thank you Rachel!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad you found this helpful @Rhymesometimes! Best of luck with your nutritionist. Happy to offer additional recipes if you need them!

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  As always you rock girl!  Always looking for ways to mix things up.  Never want to get into a food rut.  With the kidney stone history, trying anything that is low oxalate.  Of course, so many healthful tasty things seem to be moderate to high oxalate. Strangely, the king of high oxalate foods, spinach is what I miss most.  Great in smoothies, salads, mixed with pasta, etc. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AARPRachelA Prunes 🙄

Social Butterfly

@Anonymous Prunes get such a bad rap, heard some companies  are "rebranding" them as dried plums, which is exactly what they are.😄

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous prunes are tasty! I like to use them as a sugar substitute in cookies sometimes.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP