From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: You be the expert on health

Message 41 of 58

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"....The habit of picking up stray shopping carts, likewise, helps to clear the lot, which in turn reduces everyone's risk of shopping cart dings on their car.....".

Yeah. We started that decades ago. It wasn't for the fitness. More for protection of the car.  We also think it's ridiculous, and we always see someone doing this when at a mall, driving around in circles so they can get closer to the door. Of course, we've parked in the 'back 40', watch them circle, and usually are in the door while they're still driving.

Good on ya.

I'd say this habit, aside from being a 'good citizen' behavior, is unlikely to produce much physical conditioning for a guy who, like you, has never lost it and who continues to workout. But it is an easy way to get exercise if you are someone who has let the years add dress sizes and if you are uncertain what might be a worthwhile life adjustment toward a goal fitness.

I does seem silly to spend gas and time on a closer stall. Maybe I should have mentioned that driving immediately to the far edge of the parking lot might save gas money as well as time. I often stride past those who circle around like you say, after having parked my car far away and grabbed a cart. Typically, I do enter the store ahead of them, but I figure my 32" inseam has a little something to do with that.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 58

"....The habit of picking up stray shopping carts, likewise, helps to clear the lot, which in turn reduces everyone's risk of shopping cart dings on their car.....".

Yeah. We started that decades ago. It wasn't for the fitness. More for protection of the car.  We also think it's ridiculous, and we always see someone doing this when at a mall, driving around in circles so they can get closer to the door. Of course, we've parked in the 'back 40', watch them circle, and usually are in the door while they're still driving.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 58

Here's a sneaky way to get more exercise: always park in the stall farthest from the front door. 

This may add a mere 50 steps, but if you do this every time you park in a public spot, you can add hundreds of extra steps each day.

Another sneaky way to turn a parking lot into your personal exercise area is, after you've parked in the north forty, to grab a stray shopping cart and push that all the way to the store. This adds a bit of resistance to your trek across the parking lot and thus burns a few more calories.

There are other benefits to these behaviors: usually the farthest away parking spot is open, so in seeking that spot immediately, you'll find you don't have to spend as much time looking for an open stall as you do with the nearer ones. Also, since there are fewer people parking in the north forty, your vehicle is more protected from door dings and the like.

The habit of picking up stray shopping carts, likewise, helps to clear the lot, which in turn reduces everyone's risk of shopping cart dings on their car.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 58

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - I know some people who just don't like vegetables; I feel sorry for them!

@ASTRAEA I puzzle this question as well. We're not vegetarians --we actually raise 50% of our own meat-- but are conscious about meat consumption. This week alone we enjoyed meatless dinners 3 times.

* as of 2 years ago, that's down from raising 99% of our own meat, as we shift gears and prepare for retirement 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 58

@Epster - I know some people who just don't like vegetables; I feel sorry for them!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 58

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - Sweet potatoes are delicious just baked or steamed plain .. or with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice!

This may sound like an odd combination, but I love diced avocado, diced mango, and finely diced red onion, with a little balsamic vinegar. Also great with fish or shellfish, for the non-vegetarians.

@ASTRAEA Doesn't sound strange at all: I do the same when mangos are in season (can use peaches as well).

When our pears were just ripe I made roasted pears and sweet potatoes at least once a week. More than once we ate that as dinner. So yummy. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 58

@Epster - Sweet potatoes are delicious just baked or steamed plain .. or with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice!

This may sound like an odd combination, but I love diced avocado, diced mango, and finely diced red onion, with a little balsamic vinegar. Also great with fish or shellfish, for the non-vegetarians.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 58

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - Three of my favorite foods! Smiley Happy

@ASTRAEA Rock on!

We started getting serious about consuming these three foods a couple of years back. We eat probably 6 avos a week (splitting them, so 3 each); a banana a day (has helped us both get better sleep); and sweet potatoes at least once a week. 

Usually the bananas we eat out of hand, but the avos either accompany poached eggs and hot sauce atop whole wheat bread or poached eggs atop a savory oatmeal (generally fixed with sauteed greens, onion and tomato) for breakfast. Sweet potatoes prepare nicely in a wide variety of ways, however last time I served them (Monday) I tried a new recipe: hassleback sweet potatoes baked with a spicy honey mustard sauce and topped with chopped pecans and parsley. That was pretty special. A lot of times I just steam them: sweet potatoes don't really need anything done to them.

Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 58

@Epster - Three of my favorite foods! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 58

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I've been hoping that the radioactivity in bananas would turn me into a superpower. Has not happened yet. (yes, all bananas are radioactive due to an unstable isotope in the potassium).

Image result for radioactive bananas cartoon

Giggling.

Yes, this is true. So are bricks. Potatoes. You. Me. The sun. 

Still, I'm more concerned about the slight chance of bringing home a tropical spider in a bunch of bananas than the fact that potassium, an essential mineral, contains a low level of radioactivity. Smiley Happy

PS Sorry about your bad banana supply, though. My near daily consumption of bananas has turned me into a super power. (Shhh! Don't wake me, I'm dreaming)

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera