From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: You be the expert on health

Message 21 of 58

DH is a noodle lover. He's also from a family of diabetics. (Mind you, he isn't even yet in pre-diabetes, but I aim to keep him that way.) Sooooooo ... I have a problem, don't I?

Here's how I give him his noodle fix, but am careful to make those meals more healthful and nutritious.

I shop Asian groceries for these non-wheat noodles: mung bean, sorgum, millet, buckwheat. And Trader Joes for other non-wheat noodles including: black bean, spelt, quinoa.

Spaghetti squash. I'll put baked squash 'noodles' under pasta sauce under goat cheese and walnuts. He inhales.

For a traditional pasta dish I'll mix whole wheat noodles with semolina noodles, (cooking separately, as the varieties cook differently) which boosts fiber content and reduces the starch content of the dish. 

And of course, all of these meals are created with plenty of fresh vegetables and are part of our active, healthy lifestyle.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 58

Take a Driver Safety Course. I did this last year and learned a number of things about driving defensively as we age. I also will save on my auto insurance for the next few years. Now I'm trying to get DH to complete the course. 

AARP has an inexpensive, easy-to-complete online course. None of these great health tips on this thread will be worth a darned if you end up a traffic statistic.

To learn more about the AARP Driver Safety course, click on this link: http://aarpdriversafety.org

AARP Driving Course.pngRefresh you driving skills.png

For more information, see this Help Guide article: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/aging-well/age-and-driving-safety-tips.htm

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 58

@retiredtraveler wrote:

".....In addition, I use a weak vinegar water to wipe down surfaces. Vinegar is non-toxic to humans, kills 99% of all germs on contact, and it helps freshen the air....".

Copy that!. However, we don't use it 'weak'. I get the cleaning vinegar (6% rather than 5% acid), and use it straight, undiluted. And because it is an anti-bacterial, once we've cleaned a surface with it, we re-spray and let it dry untouched.  It's inexpensive too. Purchase it by the gallon and put into a spray bottle.

You know what? I'm a-scared to go full power vinegar on our hardwood floors or this eclectic mix of Mission and Amish furniture, as it can strip the finish. So I just mix up a 2 gallon bucket of water with a half cup of vinegar in it and go to town without a care.

Vinegar is good stuff, though: I use it to disinfect the hen house, in the laundry room, mixed with baking soda to clear clogged pipes, mixed with salt to clean copper, and sometimes to wage war with a fox that wants to mark the house as its property (he marks the house, I splash vinegar over the scent; repeat, but elsewhere). And of course, I make gallons of various herbed vinegar for culinary use. (A wee bit makes scrambled eggs extra fluffy, for instance.)

Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 58

".....In addition, I use a weak vinegar water to wipe down surfaces. Vinegar is non-toxic to humans, kills 99% of all germs on contact, and it helps freshen the air....".

Copy that!. However, we don't use it 'weak'. I get the cleaning vinegar (6% rather than 5% acid), and use it straight, undiluted. And because it is an anti-bacterial, once we've cleaned a surface with it, we re-spray and let it dry untouched.  It's inexpensive too. Purchase it by the gallon and put into a spray bottle.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 58
  • One of the best things you can do as you age is walk for exercise everyday.  Five years ago when I was 65 I lost 44 lbs walking and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I try for 10,000 steps a day.  I work two days a week also.  Keep busy.  Until recently my 72 yr old husband was volunteering 3-5 days a week and was averaging about 10 miles a day walking.  We try to eat at home more also.  And do not isolate yourself.  Keep in touch with friends and family.  And take your medications!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 58

We do not use chemical air fresheners. Not the spray kind. Not the plug-in kind and not the kind you put behind the couch and forget, either. Artificial aroma agents have been linked to lung problems. (Web MD: http://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20060727/air-fresheners-linked-to-lung-damage) And some say they cause cancer (Maria Rodale's Huff Po piece on the subject: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-rodale/five-mustknows-on-the-dan_b_4737654.html).

Given that inside air is usually more polluted than outside air (especially this time of year), how do we keep our home smelling fresh?

I put orange peels and a stick of cinnamon or a few cardamom pods in a pot on the stove and let it simmer. Sometimes I'll add a few drops of lemon grass oil to the mix.

And we let the master bedroom's bathroom vent run for a couple hours a day.

In addition, I use a weak vinegar water to wipe down surfaces. Vinegar is non-toxic to humans, kills 99% of all germs on contact, and it helps freshen the air.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 58

@pb40374959 wrote:

The old cliched, tried and true, diet and exercise.  Keeping active, yoga, finding a hobby or job that you truly enjoy. I have one rule now. When I worked I had to deal with people that were not always nice, a lot of gossip and jealousy, was not always nice myself. My rule now is, I did not come here to listen to gossip, to be put down or to put others down, I came to help and enjoy. If I no longer enjoy or cannot be of service in some way then I leave and find something new to do.

@pb40374959 Let's hear it for knowing gossip is poison! (Kin to comparison, that poison, sez me) Yay you! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 58

The old cliched, tried and true, diet and exercise.  Keeping active, yoga, finding a hobby or job that you truly enjoy. I have one rule now. When I worked I had to deal with people that were not always nice, a lot of gossip and jealousy, was not always nice myself. My rule now is, I did not come here to listen to gossip, to be put down or to put others down, I came to help and enjoy. If I no longer enjoy or cannot be of service in some way then I leave and find something new to do.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 58

@evelevrae1 wrote:

generally speaking, unless you have some sensitivity, there are no "bad" foods, only bad diets.  and food is only one component of a healthy life. you could eat absolutely "perfect" your whole life and not be healthy due to certain personality characteristics, loneliness, depression, lack of exercise, or exposure to toxins. people who care more for others and don't have the ability to say no have weaker immune systems for instance. "read gabor mate's book "when the body says no" or bruce lipton's book "the biology of belief" or any of bernie segal, md's books. other things that are just as important as food are physical intimacy and forgiveness, and the fountain of youth...exercise. 

@evelevrae1 Agreed: food is only part of it. Lifestyle, DNA, where you live, your job, what you think about, how you relieve stress, the list of components goes on and on, doesn't it? Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 58

generally speaking, unless you have some sensitivity, there are no "bad" foods, only bad diets.  and food is only one component of a healthy life. you could eat absolutely "perfect" your whole life and not be healthy due to certain personality characteristics, loneliness, depression, lack of exercise, or exposure to toxins. people who care more for others and don't have the ability to say no have weaker immune systems for instance. "read gabor mate's book "when the body says no" or bruce lipton's book "the biology of belief" or any of bernie segal, md's books. other things that are just as important as food are physical intimacy and forgiveness, and the fountain of youth...exercise. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season