Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Winter Walking

A lot of us have been finding joy in taking walks. During the winter, it can be harder to motivate ourselves to get outside. Check out these tips to stay active with winter walking.

I recently went on a walk in a park I'd never been to. Along my way, I discovered the park had an old system of wooden bridges that were, unfortunately, no longer in commission. I thought they were really neat as they extended quite high into the air. The kid in me really wanted to bound across them!

winter walk.jpg

What sights have you taken in on your winter walks? Have you spotted any cool animals? Share a photo!

Contributor

I try to walk at least 30 Min, even when it is bittercold here (in the 30 ). I walk in a metro park and see all the deers it is soo beautiful and peaceful. After this walk I always feel great and energized and are happy that I forced myself to get out there!

Social Butterfly

I often walk the nature path in our subdivision.  Last time as I came around a bend, I saw my neighbor's wife passionately kissing a stranger.

Community Manager
Community Manager

😮  scandalous!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I love hiking/bushwhacking in winter. 

I do a lot of searching for 'abandoned history' in Shenandoah NP which was the home of many mountain residents who were displaced when it was designated a national park 90 years ago.    Most traces of any habitation have been reclaimed by Mother Nature, but chimneys and artifacts still exist, as do an estimated 100+ family cemeteries.  Most require arduous off-trail bushwhacks into wilderness, so doing this is only possible during winter months when vegetation is dead.

Here are a couple of photos from the current bushwhacking season.  The first picture was taken on an adventure last month.  The cemetery photos were taken last week.  As you can see, finding or seeing any of this would be impossible during the summer when everything is green.

This abandoned upside-down vehicle was found down an old road trace.This abandoned upside-down vehicle was found down an old road trace.

Many of the family cemeteries were marked with fieldstones -- a headstone and footstone.  They were often uninscribed since the burials were on family property and the family knew who they were.Many of the family cemeteries were marked with fieldstones -- a headstone and footstone. They were often uninscribed since the burials were on family property and the family knew who they were.

This cemetery with approximately nine native stones was accessed by following an overgrown road trace that was once converted into a trail, but long since abandoned.This cemetery with approximately nine native stones was accessed by following an overgrown road trace that was once converted into a trail, but long since abandoned.

Trusted Social Butterfly

If you want something useful to occupy your brain, study the condition of sidewalks to determine which concrete company makes the best sidewalks in your area.  Read the manufacturers' stamps on old sidewalks in good condition.  You won't be able to determine the worst manufacturers because their stamps will have become illegible due to rapid erosion.  Newer sidewalks are whitish because white Portland cement has become popular in the last 20 years.

Thus, I determined that the best concrete company in my area is Robert R Andreas & Sons Inc..  Their stamps are still legible after 60 years.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

What a fun idea! I've never really paid attention to the stamps in the sidewalk cement. I always look at manhole and water covers though.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Concrete is a scientifically fascinating material.  It takes years for concrete to fully harden. The reason that sidewalks are laid in sections is that Portland cement shrinks when it sets. When large sections are laid, as in swimming pools, an expansive ingredient is added to offset the shrinkage.  Also, the less water that is added to the mixture, the stronger the concrete, so an ingredient is added to increase the flowability so water can be reduced.  Also, increasing the air content is supposed to increase resistance to cracking (which I doubt), so there is another ingredient for that too.

Maybe, the best concrete companies are owned by the Mafia because they want their dead bodies to stay buried. Just kidding.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP