Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Who walks/runs more .. men or women?

Message 1 of 8

@AARPTeri - I've noticed too that more men run, while more women walk .. although a lot of women walk too. I've never enjoyed running or jogging, even when I was in good enough shape to walk 4 - 8 miles daily.

I used to date a runner, and got the impression that some men think it's "wimpy" for them to walk, but OK for women! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

What a great question!  I am unable to run currently and am avid about running or walking daily.  In my neighborhood there are a lot more men that run than women. There are women who walk often so it would really be tied - more men running and more women walking!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

We see equal gender representation out exercising. On bikes, in running shoes, on rollerblades. The active exercisers here are both male and female. They are seniors by great percentage, but they are both male and female. This held true even for yesterday's bike race: participants were male and female, equally. (At least what we saw, I didn't tally the entry forms)

Those pushing strollers in this area are more often than not women. Those pulling trailers with kids and dogs (either while running or biking) are generally men.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

Around here, it's women. Our boot camp and other high-impact classes are all taught by women at the gym. The various races around here have more women running in them, a great many of them older.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

I used to walk on the boardwalk, starting in Spring Lake .. and in the heat of the summer when it got light early, you'd see people walking & running there even as early as 5 AM! It's a beautiful view, and easy to walk on the lit boardwalk, without any cross streets for about 5 miles north.

I wound up switching to my own neighborhood, to save the 10-15 minute drive each way, having to carry more ID for the car, and because my neighborhood is hilly & presents a better work-out!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

When I go on my daily early morning walk around 6:30,I rarely see another person walking at that hour. Its usually runners,mostly women,a couple guys.I see Michael, a neighbor,who lives down the street from my apt complex,is usually out taking his 2 small dogs for their 1st walk of the day. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8
If you walk or run in your area, what sort of people do you see out walking/running?

@Astrae........I don't walk in my area, but I do go to a 24 hour workout gym. What I have observed there is the women come in and use the machines they want for their workout. I see more men just sitting at the machines using their smartphones. Once in awhile after going by a machine I want to use 3 times and the man is still sitting, I will ask in a nice way if he plans to use the machine. That usually gets them up. I can hear part of their conversation and it goes like, "Yeah, I'm at the gym." Trouble is they are using no muscle other than around their mouth. I saw one young man who looked to be around 14 or 15 just move from machine to machine and he didn't seem to use any of them. He was a chubby young man and I thought his parents may have paid and sent him so that he could lose some of the weight. I know they will be disappointed. I get tired, muscles sometimes hurt, but I have some goals and I have paid to use this equipment.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Who walks/runs more .. men or women?

Message 8 of 8

I went out for a nice walk around my neighborhood about 8:30 this morning (Sunday). I probably passed 7 other walkers .. all of them women! I did see a couple of men outside; one buffing his car, and another planting in the garden with his son/grandson.

If you walk or run in your area, what sort of people do you see out walking/running?

Kudos
Views
Replies