Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: What's Your Fitness Age?

Message 11 of 16

I'm not sure that I buy into the concept of 'fitness age', but I have done those calcs before as I work out 5 days a week and monitor my heart rate. I pretty much get my heart rate in the center of min and max (generally around 123 once I get going). The interval training jacks it up to 150+, but that is only about 30 seconds that high.

One of the things about determining heart 'fitness' is how long it takes for heart rate to come back down. I go from 120+ down to resting heart rate (abourt 60) in 90-120 seconds.  Most of the drop is within a minute. So, I'm happy with that. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 16

ASTRAEA wrote:

They don't make this easy; I don't know my heart rate or pulse .. I don't know if I'm fit, but I sure know that I'm not patient! How many people know all these measurements?!

@ASTRAEA

Rhut rho: I knew mine (Think this means I'm obsessed?*) Anyway, here's help in the heart rate department: 

http://www.fitnessmotivators.com/Files/Heart-Rates.pdf

Here's help with the pulse rate: 

http://www.livescience.com/42156-how-to-take-your-pulse.html

* DH and my skew on this is that to become a contender in any sport one must also become obsessed. So I guess this is good news. LOL.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 13 of 16

They don't make this easy; I don't know my heart rate or pulse .. I don't know if I'm fit, but I sure know that I'm not patient! How many people know all these measurements?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 14 of 16

ASTRAEA wrote:

That would have been fun, if the NY Times didn't tell me I'd reached the limit of articles I'm allowed to read, w/o having a subscription! Smiley Sad

@ASTRAEA Argh! Don't you just hate that?

Here, try the fitness age calculator here: http://www.popsci.com/article/science/check-your-fitness-age-research-based-calculator

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 15 of 16

That would have been fun, if the NY Times didn't tell me I'd reached the limit of articles I'm allowed to read, w/o having a subscription! Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted

What's Your Fitness Age?

Message 16 of 16

I stumbled upon this story about Fitness Age posted 2 years ago by the New York Times (link at the bottom), and since I'm looking to improve my physical conditioning, used the Fitness Age calculator to get a meter reading of my present state. Here's a screenshot of the results.

my fitness level.pngMy Fitness Age as of this week (I hope to improve this year)So that's my Fitness Age and VO2 as of this week. I live and train a mile above sea level, a fact that reduces my VO2 by 5% (as compared to my capacity at sea level). I see room for improvement in this, but then I intend to defend my cycling records at the World Senior Games this October, so I'm pretty motivated in that department.

But what motivates you? Grandchildren? A desire to feel better both physically and emotionally? Maybe you wish to reduce medical costs. Perhaps you are to be in a wedding party this summer and want to look great in that dress. Your motivation is yours; however the road to fitness is traveled in the same manner by everyone: one healthy step at a time. 

A selection of excerpts from the NYTime piece, titled What's Your Fitness Age?:

"The concept of fitness age has been developed by researchers at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, who have studied fitness and how it relates to wellness for years.

Fitness age is determined primarily by your VO2max, which is a measure of your body’s ability to take in and utilize oxygen. VO2max indicates your current cardiovascular endurance.

It also can be used to compare your fitness with that of other people of the same age, providing you, in the process, with a personal fitness age. If your VO2max is below average for your age group, then your fitness age is older than your actual age. But if you compare well, you can actually turn back the clock to a younger fitness age. That means a 50-year-old man conceivably could have a fitness age between 30 and 75, depending on his VO2max."

"Does an advanced fitness age mean you will die sooner?"

"...people whose calculated VO2max was 15 percent or more below average for their age— meaning that their fitness age was significantly above their chronological years — had an 82 percent higher risk of dying prematurely than those whose fitness age was the same as or more youthful than their actual age. According to the study’s authors, the results suggest that fitness age may predict a person’s risk of early death better than some traditional risk factors like being overweight, having high cholesterol levels or blood pressure, and smoking."

"Thankfully, fitness age can be altered, said Ulrik Wisloff, professor at the K.G. Jebsen Center for Exercise in Medicine at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, who led the study. His advice if your fitness age exceeds your chronological years or is not as low as you would like? “Just exercise.”"

Read the rest of this article, and use the Fitness Age calculator to find your number at the NYTimes: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/whats-your-fitness-age/