Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What is your healthy habit?

Do you have a daily healthy habit you can share with others?  I have started drinking warm lemon water every morning in lieu of going straight for the coffee.  What is your's?

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Have to adapt my exercising.

Avoid any close contact with people

Do some rearranging in the house to accommodate my indoor exercising

Nutritional protein shakes.

Try to avoid Sat fats, too much salt, n too much sugar; whenever possible.   Taste is another consideration.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I eat plenty of high fiber food and drink lots of water try to get enough sleep and walk

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I drink a meal replacement called ProFIber Food. Helps keep me full and has stabilized my blood suagr pretty well.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Wondering if you tried some other brands?  Any other recommendations?  Lean protein shakes?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've tried a bunch, but this works best has a lot of protein plus fiber. Keeps me full for 5-6 hours and don't have to worry about snacking

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Thank you.

appreciate the info

0 Kudos

I keep a food log including everything I eat and how much water I drink each day.  It keeps me mindful of what I take in

0 Kudos
Contributor

1. I start my day with my all in one nutritional drink. It gets me going early in the morning.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I use my juicer every morning I Juice frui rd and vegetables just about everything.especially greens

0 Kudos

1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinigar, 1 teaspoon of honey in 1/2 cup of water every day.

Helps with bloating

Weight loss

Arthritis 

I wash my face with soap and water every night, do not use any product other than Albolene on my face.  I also walk my dogs every day.

0 Kudos

I drink a small glass of my sister's homemade Kefir mixed with cherry juice. I take medications that cause constipation, and this yummy treat is far preferable to more pills.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I drink a lot of water, because I do not like sodas or teas. Water with ice is the perfect drink for me.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I do a routine of exercises each morning before getting out of bed, mostly leg, back, and lower muscle exercises.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am almost 80 and this health tip was from my grandfather. It works for me. He always said "The best exercise is push yourself away from the table".

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live in a condo and my storage room (where I keep bottled water as well as the usual junk found in storage rooms) is housed in the garage, a total  of 15 stairs up to our actual condo. At any rate I drink a lot of water, running out very quickly. So every few days I make a water run to the garage - put 10-12 bottles in a canvas bag and set the bag down at the foot of the stairs. Then, one by one, I carry the bottles to the top of the stairs, right outside my condo door!!! So I usually climb a minimum of 150 stairs each time. I do this after grocery shopping also, or for anything I need from the car or storage - carry individual items up the stairs one at a time. (Sorry that was so wordy ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ - but I AM 70!!!๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช)

0 Kudos

I watch what I eat and my weight by planning my meals and keeping track of what I eat and weigh. I try to do some form of workout each day as in exercises, stretches, lifting wieghts and walking or any combination of those and I also keep track of those too. I think that keeping track kind of keeps me accountable to myself to stay on my plan. This one's kind of simple but I always park as far away as I can instead of searching for a close spot, not only is it more exercise, it also helps me feel better about myself by helping those less fortunate to a close spot.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Push myself to exercise on a regular basis.  Sometimes it is not an easy thing to do.  But got to do what you got to do.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Three actually: I try to do at least one meaningful task a day like a home repair or other one time only thing - laundry or loading the dishwasher donโ€™t count; I watch what I eat and weigh by planning my meals and tracking what I eat; and I lightly exercise every day, including a daily 60 min walk and weight lifting m-w-f at my church family center.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I allow myself one indulgence a day.  That could be a sweet such as one or two cookies or a glass of good red wine. The glass of good red wine usually wins out.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bronze Conversationalist

I think my healthiest habit is to ignore the latest advertising hype about what's good for a person to eat and what's not, and eat a healthy, whole foods diet.  This, of course, is in addition to exercising my body as well as my brain.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I keep my alcohol consumption down to two a day!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do something  for someone else. Can't think of something simple, just draw a funny cartoon and put it on their porch.  I begin, before I begin my morning walk with a rollin' walker, with a simple little card with a funny joke or a funny face and the word SMILE on it somewhere and leave it for one of my 77 neighbors.  On special occasions, I do 77 hand drawn cards, cartoons, and leave one with a mini candy bar for each and everyone and I smile HARD! and I walk faster and longer and smile the whole way.  My whole being feels good and lucky and happy.  Some of the people don't even know who I am WHO CARES, maybe they'll smile and the cartoon or the Smiley face or just getting a piece of mail, WHO CARES, as long as they SMILE. 

Contributor

You are a beautiful soul!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Two thoughts:

1. Play a sport.  I play tennis.  Started in my late 40s.  It works out your body, your mind, and it's very social. 

2. Get rid of junk food in your house. Willpower is used up over the course of a day, and by around 8 p.m., mine is gone when it comes to eating junk. Removing it enabled me to lose 15 pounds over a period of two months, and I have kept it off for two and a half years by using this healthy trick.

Jan Cullinane, author, AARP's The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I pray and read my Bible every day.

Tom Higgins
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I might score in the minus for this category.  I used to swim laps 2 or 3 times a week but I voluntarily stopped driving and colder weather made walking to the rec center an obstacle.  Excuses, I know.

0 Kudos

I drink at least one full gallon (64 oz) of water each and every ay, beginning with the moment I wake up, but finishing no later than 3 p.m.  If you also drink other "liquids" (coffee, tea, or other things), they do NOT count as water and would be on top of pure filtered water.  This get you going and helps to clear out all of the toxins in your body.  ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I currently do 10 minutes of chair exercises several health issues won't allow walking far. I make sure I get my fiber, fish and legumes. A soda once a month if that often. Don't smoke or use drugs. Afraid of opiods so arthritis hurts constantly aleeve does not help but is prescribed by y primary care for fear of kidney failure.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP