Community Manager
Community Manager

What is your favorite vegetable?

Artichokes.jpg

Ever since I was a wee child, I've always loved artichokes. I feel like they aren't appreciated by enough people!

What about you, what is your favorite vegetable? 🍆🥕🌽🥒🍄🥗🥑🍅

Periodic Contributor

Well, it depends upon how you define vegetable and how you define favorite. In Mexico, corn is a twice daily necessity, to eat with tortillas, which are practically a table utensil. In the States, wheat is what makes bread and pasta, also a daily foodstuff. Rice and potatoes as well, are everywhere. I start nearly all of my cooking with onions and garlic. So by the old-fashioned definition of vegetable — videlicet, Kingdom Plantae, it grows in the ground — those would be the biggies.

But if we eliminate grains, roots, tubers, and nuts, then I guess the tomato. Though technically that’s a fruit. Hmmmmm. Carrots and celery? Great on their own, the mirepoix to start all good sauces, braises, soups and stews, and a nice finely minced addition to tuna salad, egg salad, potato salad, etc. I like very small petit-pois also.

Trusted Contributor

Young okra pods right off the plant. Yum!

www.foragingtexas.com
www.medicinemanplantco.com
YouTube: DrMerriwether
Regular Contributor

My #1 vegetable is green beans. I love home canned green beans that my mom makes. My #2 would be any vegetable raw....there are some that I just canned eat cooked, texture thing, but if you give it to me raw I am your girl!!!

Contributor

1 Kale, 2, carrots, 3 green beans

Regular Contributor

i agree!  when my daughter was young, we used to cook two large artichokes every now and then and we each would have one; we would just eat a little at a time until we got to the best part - the heart!  it was fun and enjoyable.  we had good mother and daughter silly conversation in the process.  🙂

Gold Conversationalist

I love grilling Asparagus and Artichokes seasoned with garlic butter

Bronze Conversationalist

I LOVE artichokes and asparagus both.  I've never considered grilling them and eating them mixed together.  GREAT IDEA!!  Thanks, Oscar!   👍

Regular Contributor

i absolutely love asparagus - especially the way my sweet daughter makes it.

Periodic Contributor
Honored Social Butterfly

Too many to count.  Love veggies more than fruit.   Right now it's in-season tomatoes. 

Recognized Social Butterfly

Potato.

Contributor

broccoli

Periodic Contributor

I like many raw, bok choy and radishes and jicama, but I really do love a crisp, sweet red pepper.

Gold Conversationalist

That's a hard choice but I love grilled eggplant. Any vegetable that's grilled is awesome.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Daybreaker Live! Rock n' Rollin' Spring Fling: A Sock Hop Dance Sponsored by AARP

Saturday, April 17 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. ET

Register Now

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health

Let Us Work for You

AARP is your trusted friend and fierce defender. Membership unlocks powerful benefits to help you in your life. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership