Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your favorite dish to make when inviting friends over for dinner?

Message 1 of 10

I  have 2 favorites:  1)  My great aunt's recipe for sweet & savory baked beans.  Sorry!  No can reveal!  2) My nyummy trifle using jam or preserves, pound cake, vanilla pudding &, of course, rum.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

Here's one for wild food lovers: tonight I'm making a wild greens calzone. It's not for company, but it sure could be. Smiley Happy

Tonight I'm putting in just foraged nettles, dandelion and yellow dock leaves (AKA curly dock) along with diced onion, garlic, a few cherry tomatoes (note: I actually used sun dried tomatoes instead) and sliced mushrooms, plus a little cheese. 

This can be served with pasta sauce for dipping.

Another dish that presents well.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10
In a slow cooker I put one can of Campbell French Onion soup and a can of cream of celery and beef meat chunks. Cook all day and serve over noodles or rice. I add a salad and warm yeast rolls. 
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

My chicken goulash is absolutely rave but the recipe is top secret.  Sorry!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

I make a wicked pasta salad I created myself when I was catering. So in my case Pasta salad with baked basil chicken that has been marinated over night.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@AARPTeri Another suggestion before I zip off to my meeting: shish kebob.  I'll fix some ground bison or wild boar, lots of mushrooms, pineapple, onion, bell peppers and a trio of grains, say a bowl of quinoa, another of cous cous and a third of brown rice. This allows folks to tailor their meal according to their dietary needs, and it presents beautifully. Also: dipping sauces! Mustards, curry, whatever you  and your guests like.

I've had great success mixing ground bison with turkey, spicing (and adding a bit of oatmeal), making meatballs, wrapping those in prosciutto for the shish kebobs. Moist, flavorful, inexpensive-ish. Voila! Smiley Happy

No matter what menu you choose: have a great time!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@AARPTeri  Since you enjoy pasta, may I suggest preparing one of your fave dishes using an exotic/unusual meat and/or cheese?  If you've a Sprouts nearby you can pick up ground wild boar, elk, bison, sometimes emu, and so forth.  And if you've a Trader Joe's, you can find all manner of cheese to go with. Have fun!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

I'll prepare sushi for some of our bunch and elk burgers for others. I tend to prepare the fancier menus for just the hubster and me. I know we appreciate the effort, you see. Smiley Wink

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

My friends don't usually have people over for dinner, but if I'm invited to a pot luck, I'll make carrot salad with chunks of pineapple & large chunks of walnuts. Instead of mayo, I'll use plain Greek yogurt, pineapple juice & pumpkin pie spice for some zing. At least it's something where I won't feel guilty eating the leftovers! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What is your favorite dish to make when inviting friends over for dinner?

Message 10 of 10

I love to make new things so don't always have a go to dish, usually it would be pasta or lasagna.  Do you have a go to recipe you can share with us?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies