Introducing the Problem-Solving Strategy Challenge, the latest interactive brain exercise from Staying Sharp! Get started now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your exercise of choice?

Message 71 of 90

You have to have a combination of weights and aerobic. I do a fairly heavy weight set (18 total upper and lower body) about once a week. I do aerobic (usually orbital stepper) at least two days a week. These types of workouts keep up your body's ability to repair itself and keeps the aches and pains at bay.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 90

Yoga is great for flexibilty but also great for strength.  My yoga instuctor makes it mentally challenging as well, which is something I need. You have to focus.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 90

Outdoor cycling. Cycling is a great exercise capable of working not only your legs but your arms and core as well. Besure to include some hills in your route so that you can work out your arms and core via out of the seat cycling. Outside is better than inside since you get the outside environment feel. I do it all year around in the Chicago area, you just need to dress for the weather, i.e., layer up. The hood from my sweatshirt under my helmet keeps my head nice and warm on windy, cold days. Double knit leggings keeps the legs warm. A cycling windbreaker jacket keeps the cold wind out.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 90

In no particular order of preference, yoga and bowling. I've been taking free lessons at the local library, where I work PT, for two years, and I love it. I've also bowled in one local league or another, since 1978. I'm semi-addicted and constantly watch YouTube videos for how to improve my delivery, and therefore, my scores. I constantly joke that I'll be happy to bowl a perfect game (300, 12 consecutive strikes), then keel over with my body BEHIND the foul line.

I also love swimming, and still bemoan the loss of our backyard pool. Had to fill it in years ago--too much work for the amount of time I actually got to use it, while I was working full time. Still, we got a lot of good use out of it for several years. That was my summer workout. How else can you work out and not feel like you're sweating (although I've read that you actually do sweat while swimming. Hard to believe, unless you're in a warm indoor pool)?

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 90

I’m captain of the men’s rugby team at the home.  We're the Sunrise Living Bulldogs.  Last week we beat the Woodbridge Common Piranas 8 to 3.  Lots of exercise from practice and games!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 90

Image result for clicking remote on the couch animation

My exercise of choice is Yoga.  This is pose #1 -- "Resting Cat."

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 90

I've been running for  39 years except I just broke a bone in my foot so I'm walking a couple of miles in the morning until I heal.   I work on my little farm taking care of the goats and chickens and work in my gardens.  I taught fitness classes including weight lifting for many years, and also taught swimming.  I have a lap pool and swim when the water is warm enough that I don't turn blue when I dive in.  But running is still my first choice for exercise.  No more half marathons or other races, just a morning run while it's still cool outside.  I'll be 80 in July and hope I never have to stop running.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 90

I love to walk and I incorporate it into my day as often as I can. I work from home and when a call comes in, I transfer it to my cell phone and walk around the house. On the treadmill, I’ll watch tv or read a book. Speaking of reading, I will walk around the block with my book in hand. Yes, people stare and comment but I’m getting my steps in. I prefer to walk over taking the car whenever possible. Now if I could cut out chocolate, I can lose weight. Who am I kidding?!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 90

Both my wife and I race 6-man outrigger canoes, with practices  3 times a week starting in February through mid-September.  It is easy on the knees but both aerobic and anaerobic.  Practices are 2-2.5 hours and races are 10-12 miles.  In the off season, we try to get to the gym (we have free membership through AARP's Medicare Plan) 2-3 times a week and bike and hike.  I had open heart surgery (aortic valve) last year and was back paddling (but not racing) in 3 months.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 90

Running has been my exercise of choice for 40 years. I've chosen it as a lifestyle, living in areas where I can run daily in rural/scenic and low-traffic roadways. Running is the base level of fitness for everything else I want to do outdoors: hike, bike, raft, etc. More recently I've added weightlifting three times weekly. It  has helped my running and also boosted my upper body muscle tone. I highly recommend regular stretching exercises after running to avoid injuries and to aid flexibilility. Running for life is my goal.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors