Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

What is your exercise of choice?

What is your preferred way to get exercise/move? How long have you been doing it?

Still looking for ideas on the right activity for you, or maybe a new activity? Check out our new guide on getting moving: https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/get-moving.html

Contributor

MY exercises are walking /jogging, and abs exercises

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been a paddler since I was 11 years old. I first paddled canoes on calm rivers and lakes. I graduated to tandem canoe whitewater when I was 45 and my wife and I ran (played, really) major whitewater rivers in the East and Mountain West. When we moved to Southern California in 2006, where there is a lack of whitewater anywhere close (and most of the rivers are meant for whitewater kayaks or rafts), we transitioned to 6-man outrigger canoes.  I coach novice (first year paddlers no matter the age) and race outriggers on the open ocean, having raced the National Championship--the Catalina Crossing--8 times, medaling 4 times. Can't do whitewater canoe anymore (you have to kneel in a whitewater canoe--the knees can't take it anymore), but I plan to coach and race 6-man outrigger this year. I will be 74, and I am happiest with a paddle in my hand. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) I luv to explore by walking. I get "bored" walking same route more than "once" = forget walking trails. I park and explore. Love your response @ip3285 , @OmegaB474651 , @mb35544229 and @MaryR211725 ! Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have a few. My number one is league bowling. I had a pretty decent average, in the lower 150's several years ago, but last year, I had an Achilles tendon sprain, which definitely has caused me to change my mechanics. Upon my return in December 2022, my average dropped to 118 (yuck!), but it's on its way back up; I'm presently at 136. I'm nerdy about it to the point of watching YouTube tutorial videos, which do help.

I also like to swim and do yoga, again modifying the poses to accommodate my tendon recovery.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Walking! I use Leslie Sansone's walking videos on You Tubeโ€”she has so many and all are excellent: from 15, 20, 30 to 45 minutes; and she works the whole body. Plus I just started yoga and I absolutely love it! I did Tai Chi last year, for about 6 months. I have also done water aerobics and it is wonderfulโ€”but it involves two things that are "harmful" (LOL!) to exercise: some type of gym membership, ergo $$$$, and distance. So walking is still my exercise of choice. 

"Classical Stretch" with Miranda Esmond-White is a 30 min program on PBS in NC at 5:30 a.m. M-F.  I have been doing this on average 4 times a week for 18 months.  It is FABULOUS!  NO IMPACT cardio, stretching, strengthening and destressing all in one workout.  There are seasons on video but I prefer getting my day started with the TV.  The programs are recorded with her on beaches or verandas in the Caribean, Mexico and perhaps even the Bahamas.  You can see the trees or water in the background.  Lovely scenery.  Occasionally wildlife in the background.  Doesn't require a fee, finding shoes or keys or even equipment.  Just bare feet on the living room floor!  I have MUCH better range of motion in my hips and shoulders as well as better posture!  Can't recommend it enough.  I do however, keep the volume down because she does talk alot but  most of what she is talking about it helpful into about physiology, kinesiology, etc.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Contributor

I am a member of GrowYoungFitness.com.  I started doing their seated exercises first. Do a workout every other day with the goal of working out every day (except Sunday). Itโ€™s geared toward senior citizens. I have come such a long way in improving my health thanks to GYF. 

20 minutes on rowing machine,

6 weight machines x 30 reps each

stepping machine. X 20minutes

4 weight machines

treadmill x 20 minutes at 3.9 mi/ he

4 weight machines

MWF

other days just weight machines

66yo white female 5โ€™6 @122lbs and severe osteoporosis

I'm 77. My favorite activity is hiking. I try to go every week, typically a 10 mile or so hike in the mountains. I am blessed to live near several wilderness areas, and boost my whole essence by immersing myself in nature.I hike with my dog(s), a great hiking companion. In between I try to walk the dog every day, good for both of us. In order to keep my body willing to hike, I participate in several classes at the gym. One is a muscle endurance class using weights (Les Mills Body Pump, one hour full body workout), one is a one hour mixed-martial arts based aerobics (Les Mills Body Combat) and one is a half hour focused on the core, hips - shoulders (Les Mills CX Worx). The latter is really the most important, because a strong core makes the other classes easier, in fact helps with everyday tasks, and prevents a lot of falls that never happened. I discovered my core embarrassingly late in life, and I love it!

Bronze Conversationalist

Good for you. You're a great example for all ages, particularly the younger generation who sometimes consider us 'old folks' to be unable to do exercises as you're doing.
Contributor

Thank you!
Contributor

I turned 74 today and I move my body in activities that are the most fun.  A wise person once said "the best exercise in the world is the one you will do".  I have an outdoor basketball goal and love to shoot baskets.  In the Rec Center gym after Silver Sneakers I can still shoot 3 pointers.  I like to walk and ride my bicycle and garden until winter.  Silver Sneakers is fun because of the music and upbeat instructor.  I quit playing soccer in my 50s.  And yes, I was one of those young women who after playing sports in junior high was told that girls couldn't participate in sports or phys ed in high school.  Just because we were female.  I've made up for it ever since!

Contributor

i work a very physical job!!!

Periodic Contributor

Walking because you do not need special equipment, anyone can do it and you can do it pretty much anywhere. It also enables you to meet and interact with other people.

Contributor

Dance--most recently line dancing. Line dancing is a low impact exercise that requires brain activity along with the physical activity which is a wonderful combination for deterring dementia. https://activities-for-seniors.info/health-benefits-of-line-dancing-as-activities-for-elderly/ 

It is low-impact, it is social, you don't need a partner and the activity between your brain and physical exercise is a real plus.

.I am a professionally trained dancer and recived my certification in Jazzercise when I was 65. I am 76 years old have been teaching line dancing to seniors for the past eight years in California and now in Chicago. I am currently teaching five hours/week (down from 10 hours/week for the past seven years). 

Bdancer

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I love doing Zumba at my gym!  It's an easy way to get over 5,000 steps in just an hour!  Today I was able to take a Zumba class in the morning and another at night.  I accumulated over 20,000 steps!  What I like most about the classes is the social aspect, the music, and the dance moves.

Contributor

Iโ€™ve been riding recumbent bikes for 30 years. Theyโ€™re great for transportation, exercise, socializing, and just plain fun. The key is variety. I ride them on trails, roads, around town, and take them on trips. Much of my riding is in traffic-free neighborhoods where I put on headphones and listen to podcasts. 

Contributor

I like walking the distance. Walking helps my knees.

Contributor

Taekwondo.  I started when I was 52 and now I'm a 2nd Degree Black Belt Granny!    It's liberating and empowering.  And I've made a best friend.  Together we started Momkwondo so we could encourage the other moms to get on the mat !

Bronze Conversationalist

@d489295p Contratulations - that sounds like lots of fun. I have a 1st degree (not black) belt in Karate and studied some taekwondo years ago. I'd love to start a "grandma-kwondo" here in our little town at the library which is also our rec center. Any ideas how to go about it? From an 80 year old runner-chicken/goat farmer.
Contributor

Running and Weight lifting.  Really trying to break 45 minutes for the 10k.  7 minute miles will put me at about 43/44 minutes.

Bronze Conversationalist

Good luck - I hope you make your goal. I've been running for 39 years and never ran fast, just consistently. Best was 18 min 16 sec for a little 2-miler, but the half marathons and 10ks are slow but fun.
Contributor

Walking and Gym ...

Contributor

While I try to mix several types of activity, the activity I fall back on, especially when pressed for time is our NordicTrack Ski machine. We have consistently used this machine during every season for more than 25 years. It required some replacement parts along the way, but I can't think of a better way to get in some easy to serious activity all year round.

Periodic Contributor

I love to walk with my dog Midnight! we usually travel about 13,000 to 15,000 steps a day and my doctor tells me all the time, keep moving and keep your heart healthy!

Walking I do at least 15,000 steps a day if not more like 20,000.

Contributor

I'm an old gym teacher who has been trying to practice what I preached for the last 40 some years. I lift weights twice a week and try to average 40 minutes of arobic activity per day. That usually is walking and bicycling. Walking and biking are a wonderful way to enjoy nature at a pace where you can actually see, hear, and feel whats going on around you. 

Social Butterfly

I do 12 oz curls.

Bronze Conversationalist

@2Papa:  I hope you're doing those 12 oz. curls with a bottle in each hand.   We need to keep balance in our lives!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP