From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your exercise of choice?

Message 1 of 90

@OmegaB474651   Age alone is NOT a barrier to 'heavy exercise'.  It's health, physical conditioning, and attitude.  The last two can be changed, and often doing exercise will improve one's health in all areas, not only the heart.  I still run, swim, work out, garden, shovel the chicken and goat yards, trim trees, and more.  I'm 80 years old young.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 90

Exercise is very much beneficial for the heart at any age. Yoga is a best way to keep our heart healthy rather than heavy exercises which are not possible for old people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 90

Walking! I use Leslie Sansone's walking videos on You Tube—she has so many and all are excellent: from 15, 20, 30 to 45 minutes; and she works the whole body. Plus I just started yoga and I absolutely love it! I did Tai Chi last year, for about 6 months. I have also done water aerobics and it is wonderful—but it involves two things that are "harmful" (LOL!) to exercise: some type of gym membership, ergo $$$$, and distance. So walking is still my exercise of choice. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 90

"Classical Stretch" with Miranda Esmond-White is a 30 min program on PBS in NC at 5:30 a.m. M-F.  I have been doing this on average 4 times a week for 18 months.  It is FABULOUS!  NO IMPACT cardio, stretching, strengthening and destressing all in one workout.  There are seasons on video but I prefer getting my day started with the TV.  The programs are recorded with her on beaches or verandas in the Caribean, Mexico and perhaps even the Bahamas.  You can see the trees or water in the background.  Lovely scenery.  Occasionally wildlife in the background.  Doesn't require a fee, finding shoes or keys or even equipment.  Just bare feet on the living room floor!  I have MUCH better range of motion in my hips and shoulders as well as better posture!  Can't recommend it enough.  I do however, keep the volume down because she does talk alot but  most of what she is talking about it helpful into about physiology, kinesiology, etc.  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 90

I am a member of GrowYoungFitness.com.  I started doing their seated exercises first. Do a workout every other day with the goal of working out every day (except Sunday). It’s geared toward senior citizens. I have come such a long way in improving my health thanks to GYF. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 90

20 minutes on rowing machine,

6 weight machines x 30 reps each

stepping machine. X 20minutes

4 weight machines

treadmill x 20 minutes at 3.9 mi/ he

4 weight machines

MWF

other days just weight machines

66yo white female 5’6 @122lbs and severe osteoporosis

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 90
Thank you!
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 90
Good for you. You're a great example for all ages, particularly the younger generation who sometimes consider us 'old folks' to be unable to do exercises as you're doing.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 90

I'm 77. My favorite activity is hiking. I try to go every week, typically a 10 mile or so hike in the mountains. I am blessed to live near several wilderness areas, and boost my whole essence by immersing myself in nature.I hike with my dog(s), a great hiking companion. In between I try to walk the dog every day, good for both of us. In order to keep my body willing to hike, I participate in several classes at the gym. One is a muscle endurance class using weights (Les Mills Body Pump, one hour full body workout), one is a one hour mixed-martial arts based aerobics (Les Mills Body Combat) and one is a half hour focused on the core, hips - shoulders (Les Mills CX Worx). The latter is really the most important, because a strong core makes the other classes easier, in fact helps with everyday tasks, and prevents a lot of falls that never happened. I discovered my core embarrassingly late in life, and I love it!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 90

I turned 74 today and I move my body in activities that are the most fun.  A wise person once said "the best exercise in the world is the one you will do".  I have an outdoor basketball goal and love to shoot baskets.  In the Rec Center gym after Silver Sneakers I can still shoot 3 pointers.  I like to walk and ride my bicycle and garden until winter.  Silver Sneakers is fun because of the music and upbeat instructor.  I quit playing soccer in my 50s.  And yes, I was one of those young women who after playing sports in junior high was told that girls couldn't participate in sports or phys ed in high school.  Just because we were female.  I've made up for it ever since!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season