Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your exercise of choice?

Message 11 of 90

i work a very physical job!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 90

Walking because you do not need special equipment, anyone can do it and you can do it pretty much anywhere. It also enables you to meet and interact with other people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 90

Dance--most recently line dancing. Line dancing is a low impact exercise that requires brain activity along with the physical activity which is a wonderful combination for deterring dementia. https://activities-for-seniors.info/health-benefits-of-line-dancing-as-activities-for-elderly/ 

It is low-impact, it is social, you don't need a partner and the activity between your brain and physical exercise is a real plus.

.I am a professionally trained dancer and recived my certification in Jazzercise when I was 65. I am 76 years old have been teaching line dancing to seniors for the past eight years in California and now in Chicago. I am currently teaching five hours/week (down from 10 hours/week for the past seven years). 

Bdancer

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 90

I love doing Zumba at my gym!  It's an easy way to get over 5,000 steps in just an hour!  Today I was able to take a Zumba class in the morning and another at night.  I accumulated over 20,000 steps!  What I like most about the classes is the social aspect, the music, and the dance moves.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 90

I’ve been riding recumbent bikes for 30 years. They’re great for transportation, exercise, socializing, and just plain fun. The key is variety. I ride them on trails, roads, around town, and take them on trips. Much of my riding is in traffic-free neighborhoods where I put on headphones and listen to podcasts. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 90

I like walking the distance. Walking helps my knees.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 90
@d489295p Contratulations - that sounds like lots of fun. I have a 1st degree (not black) belt in Karate and studied some taekwondo years ago. I'd love to start a "grandma-kwondo" here in our little town at the library which is also our rec center. Any ideas how to go about it? From an 80 year old runner-chicken/goat farmer.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 90

Taekwondo.  I started when I was 52 and now I'm a 2nd Degree Black Belt Granny!    It's liberating and empowering.  And I've made a best friend.  Together we started Momkwondo so we could encourage the other moms to get on the mat !

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 90
Good luck - I hope you make your goal. I've been running for 39 years and never ran fast, just consistently. Best was 18 min 16 sec for a little 2-miler, but the half marathons and 10ks are slow but fun.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 90

Running and Weight lifting.  Really trying to break 45 minutes for the 10k.  7 minute miles will put me at about 43/44 minutes.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season