Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

What is your exercise of choice?

What is your preferred way to get exercise/move? How long have you been doing it?

Still looking for ideas on the right activity for you, or maybe a new activity? Check out our new guide on getting moving: https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/get-moving.html

Contributor

I enjoy dancing and gardening for my "exercising" because I enjoy both; dancing is fun.

I love walking--and I actually go to a 24-hour fitness place to get on the treadmill when it is too hot outside (which it is alot here near Tallhassee, FL during the dog days of summer).  When it gets cooler, I will be going to my local high school athletic fields to walk, or go out with my spouse for a hike.  

I love to walk. I adopted a retired greyhound in June and she is great company on walks of any distance. Walking is my exercise of choice because it costs nothing, I don’t have to go anywhere to walk, and it helps keep me healthy.

Conversationalist

I love swimming in my pool, the birds sing, and I dreamily do my exercises, pretending I'm off to Hawaii, going down Kalakaua and around the island. Or, I go on YouTube  to Hasfit.com and listen to two wonderful people that take you on great exercises, chair seated or standing.  They have jokes, they smile and keep you motivated.  They have all kinds of exercises!!

Regular Contributor

I do leg lifts, I lift my legs up on the couch and take a nap

Periodic Contributor

Ever since we retired 6 years ago, my husband and I have been doing aerobics and weight lifting at home.  Mostly we do a Jillian Michaels tape (30 day shred) with different levels.  We try to do it every day, but I would say we definitely do it 6 days a week.  It is all about sticking to a routine.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Walking

0 Kudos

Lake kayaking is my favorite - took it up 3 years ago at 63 and love going 2-3 times a week.  It is so much easier than you think - and you don't get wet!  I have hooked a number of 70+ ladies into going with me! I often walk 2 miles in the foothills around our home, yoga and pilates on DVD, and now the Silver Sneakers 2-3 times a week.

Social Butterfly

My f avo rit e is ju mping j acks. I’ve on l y been doi ng the m for fi ve minu tes, so I ha ve ten mo re min u tes to go...

Bronze Conversationalist

@2Papa   Remember to BR EA THE or  you'll go from 2Papa to "2pooped"! (from a former exercise instructor)

Contributor

I have been retired now for 32 years and have been exercizing almost daily in many forms, but my constant favorite is my  FIFTY + EXERCISING dvd which is a full body exercise strength training program in which I have been using for over 25 years.  Margaret Richards produced this and is available from the National Institute of Health.  I recommend it highly.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

While I enjoy the daily walk with my husband and the dog my very favorite is the Aqua Zumba class I go to twice a week,  The 55 minutes goes fast, The workout is good without putting the stress on my knees, etc. and since you are 75% under water no one can see when you step incorrectly,

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do 60 minutes on a stair climber- 1/4 mile - 1/3 mile intervals when I am in peak form for 13 miles at under a 5 minute mile rate.  I have been doing this since 1988.  I try to do this 2 x a week.  I fall off the wagon from time to time but usually get back in the groove.  I also do push-ups - usually 10 sets of 70 each - also since 1988.  When I first started the push-ups I couldn't do 10.  Just kept adding reps and sets. Add some yoga and stretching.  I used to do weights but kept pulling muscles.  Adding more weight seemed to be my problem.  I plan to keep my routine up as long as I can.

0 Kudos

I ride my bike. I have always ridden a bike but after my x4 bypass 6 years ago I started riding like my life depended on it. I ride 10 miles at a time 3 to 5 days a week. In this time after my surgery I have ridden over 8000 miles and worn out two sets of tires. 20190606_102720.jpg

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am 69 years old & am an expert skier #1(30 days per year), #2 bicycle like a 30-year-old(35-50 miles in 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours on a hybrid bike), #3 work out at the gym(the same workout I did when I was 30 (1 - 1/4 hrs. nonstop with heavy weights), kayak, & hike. Everything I do is full-bore until I'm exhausted. I know I probably over do it, but I'm going to fight old age as long as I can. Am I sore? Tired? Yes, but it is such a routine that when I don't do it, I feel like I haven't done anything. My motto is work out like a 30-year-old & don't let yourself fet out of shape in the first place! If I die, I want to die on the ski slopes in a blaze of glory!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mondays and Wednesdays I take the Silver Sneakers class at the Y, then the Aqua aerobics class. On Wednesdays I also take a beginners Spin class and do the exercise machine circuit for about an hour.  On Fridays I try use the exercise machines and either the stationary bicycle or rowing machine, then I take a Qigong class. On Saturdays and Sundays I also take Qigong classes.

I also walk my dog before heading to the gym -- except in the rain. I'm 68 and have been trying to knock off some extra weight. So far down 75 lbs.

Periodic Contributor

Raising my legs in the recliner (haha!). No, really...lifting weights, using bands, bike, and the elliptical machine.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

68 year old mail here and starting to have hip issues (not bad enough for replacement....yet) so needed to move from my walking regimen to lower impact.

So.............Swimming laps for an hour 3 days a week does it for me.  Good overall body conditioning and aerobic benefits.

Add to that 3 days a week doing "other" stuff (weight machines, stationary bikes.....and have just started getting into the rowing machine to check it out.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I STARTED LIFTING WEIEHTS WHEN I WAS ABOUT 15 YEARS OLD, I'M 86 NOW. WEIGHTS HAVE BEEN A PART OF MY  LIFE ON A REGULAR BASIS SINCE 1959 AN ABOUT 1962 I STARTED JOGGING AND DID THAT UNTIL I WAS 78, 7 TRIP DOING THE PEACHTREE ROAD RACE. NOW I STILL WIFT WEIGHTS ,ABOUT 40 MINUTES AND RIDE THE STATIONARY BICYCLE FOR ABOUT 25 MINUTES ,5OR  6 MILES AFTER WHICH I STRETCH AND WALK FOR ABOUT 20 MNUTES. THROUGH THE YEARS IT HAS BEEN A CONSTANT COMPANION. 

Bronze Conversationalist

@ah41955792 Congratulations on your great exercise routine. I'm 'only' 80, so younger than you, but I've been running for 39 years and taught weight lifting many years ago so still do strength and other exercises. Maybe we'll see each other at a race some day. I'll try to keep up with you!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have a small dog with a retractable leash, and we walk briskley for at least 45 min daily.  We do not walk in the rain, as my dog does not like to get wet!!  We have a nice bike path just down the driveway so it is very easy access.  We walk at 2 steps a second, which is easy to do with a retractable leash.  I am 74 so it is a good exercise for both of us..I also have hand held weight to use inside to keep up my muscle tone.,

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I walk indoors at large stores or malls where it is flat and air conditioned.  Any excuse gets me off my routine, so I try to make sure that I don't have any excuses.  I also walk with my husband so we both benefit from the walk and from talking about recent things we read.  It's a good way to be closer and to stay in shape.  When I can get my daughter in law to join me, I go swimming.  I grew up near the beach and swim like a fish, but here I have to go to the local indoor pool.  Still need to get into that routine too, but I am recently retired, 8 months, and am still adjusting to not having a schedule.  It's nice, but I think that people are right that you need to schedule your exercise just to make sure that you do it.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I retired May 2018....last day of work was a Friday and went and signed up at they gym (thru Silver Sneakers) the following Monday.  I figured if I did not start I would flounder.  Totally agree (at least for me) you need to make it a regular rountine and stick to it.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Walking my two dogs!  They both love the outings, as we walk various routes, and I enjoy the great out doors. We walk for a minimum 1 hour most days of the week. It’s a win, win for us all!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I do the simplest and easiest exercise that can be done - walk, a lot.  On beautiful days, I go out for at least 30 minutes and enjoy the fresh air, and the views!  When the weather is unforgiving, I walk inside (I live in an Independent community with very long halls).  To go from one end to the other is 1/3 of a mile and I just go back and forth.  Since I also volunteer there, I get to walk some more!  I try not to sit too long either, but I have to get up a lot anyway, to prepare our meals, vacuum (good for burning calories!) and other household tasks.  I find most exercising boring and since my knees are no longer forgiving, some of the yoga and other exercises are more painful than helpful.

0 Kudos

I have a 55-60 minute routine at the YMCa that include 20 minutes of arobic and the remainder core strenghtening. I like the recumbent incline machine.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Treadmill and Cybex Arc trainer as a changeup.  Resistance training 2X/wk to keep toned and fend off loss of muscle mass.

0 Kudos

Yoga and Zumba.  Both are a lot of fun. 

Agree - Yoga, Zumba and Water Aerobics are my favorites. I take 3 classes of each a week at the Y.

0 Kudos
Contributor

walking and jogging-- 25 years
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP