Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your exercise of choice?

Message 41 of 90

I ride my bike. I have always ridden a bike but after my x4 bypass 6 years ago I started riding like my life depended on it. I ride 10 miles at a time 3 to 5 days a week. In this time after my surgery I have ridden over 8000 miles and worn out two sets of tires. 20190606_102720.jpg

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 90

I am 69 years old & am an expert skier #1(30 days per year), #2 bicycle like a 30-year-old(35-50 miles in 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours on a hybrid bike), #3 work out at the gym(the same workout I did when I was 30 (1 - 1/4 hrs. nonstop with heavy weights), kayak, & hike. Everything I do is full-bore until I'm exhausted. I know I probably over do it, but I'm going to fight old age as long as I can. Am I sore? Tired? Yes, but it is such a routine that when I don't do it, I feel like I haven't done anything. My motto is work out like a 30-year-old & don't let yourself fet out of shape in the first place! If I die, I want to die on the ski slopes in a blaze of glory!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 90

Mondays and Wednesdays I take the Silver Sneakers class at the Y, then the Aqua aerobics class. On Wednesdays I also take a beginners Spin class and do the exercise machine circuit for about an hour.  On Fridays I try use the exercise machines and either the stationary bicycle or rowing machine, then I take a Qigong class. On Saturdays and Sundays I also take Qigong classes.

I also walk my dog before heading to the gym -- except in the rain. I'm 68 and have been trying to knock off some extra weight. So far down 75 lbs.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 90

Agree - Yoga, Zumba and Water Aerobics are my favorites. I take 3 classes of each a week at the Y.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 90

Raising my legs in the recliner (haha!). No, really...lifting weights, using bands, bike, and the elliptical machine.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 90

I retired May 2018....last day of work was a Friday and went and signed up at they gym (thru Silver Sneakers) the following Monday.  I figured if I did not start I would flounder.  Totally agree (at least for me) you need to make it a regular rountine and stick to it.  Good luck.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 90

68 year old mail here and starting to have hip issues (not bad enough for replacement....yet) so needed to move from my walking regimen to lower impact.

So.............Swimming laps for an hour 3 days a week does it for me.  Good overall body conditioning and aerobic benefits.

Add to that 3 days a week doing "other" stuff (weight machines, stationary bikes.....and have just started getting into the rowing machine to check it out.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 90
@ah41955792 Congratulations on your great exercise routine. I'm 'only' 80, so younger than you, but I've been running for 39 years and taught weight lifting many years ago so still do strength and other exercises. Maybe we'll see each other at a race some day. I'll try to keep up with you!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 90

I STARTED LIFTING WEIEHTS WHEN I WAS ABOUT 15 YEARS OLD, I'M 86 NOW. WEIGHTS HAVE BEEN A PART OF MY  LIFE ON A REGULAR BASIS SINCE 1959 AN ABOUT 1962 I STARTED JOGGING AND DID THAT UNTIL I WAS 78, 7 TRIP DOING THE PEACHTREE ROAD RACE. NOW I STILL WIFT WEIGHTS ,ABOUT 40 MINUTES AND RIDE THE STATIONARY BICYCLE FOR ABOUT 25 MINUTES ,5OR  6 MILES AFTER WHICH I STRETCH AND WALK FOR ABOUT 20 MNUTES. THROUGH THE YEARS IT HAS BEEN A CONSTANT COMPANION. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 90

I have a small dog with a retractable leash, and we walk briskley for at least 45 min daily.  We do not walk in the rain, as my dog does not like to get wet!!  We have a nice bike path just down the driveway so it is very easy access.  We walk at 2 steps a second, which is easy to do with a retractable leash.  I am 74 so it is a good exercise for both of us..I also have hand held weight to use inside to keep up my muscle tone.,

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors