Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your exercise of choice?

Message 61 of 87

I’m a guy who likes variety and am fortunate enough to do a lot of things.  I had bi-lateral knee replacement 8 1/2 years ago, which took away a lot of pain and enabled me to ski, hike the mountains, bike, play tennis, and golf.  So, my favorite changes with the seasons.  Although not a regular routine, I also enjoy a gym regimen that starts with bike aerobics, floor exercises and weights.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 87

I enjoy taking spin classes and Pilates reformer. I do one or the other every day.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 87

I used to prefer almost any kind of sport to actually working out. I played a lot of competitive tennis and racketball into my 60's until lower body joints made me stop. Now, after two knee replacements and one ankle replacement, serious running is no longer an option. Now I fast walk 4 miles 5-to-6 times a week in the gym pumping 12 lb dumbbells every other mile (changing the type of pump every 10th of a mile - kind of my own interval training thing). I also do stationary upper body weights three times a week and focus on lighter weight workouts for my legs. This is all underpinned with protien shakes to avoid soreness and promote endurance.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 87

¡Caminando con mi esposa!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 87

Cardio dance!

So much fun!

I am a group exercise instructor/personal trainer and I feel exercise does not have to feel like a chore.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 87

Pickleball - it's the fastest growing sport in America.  Courts are going up everywhere.  It's a cross between tennis and ping pong.  No running and the friendliest people.  Check it out on youtube.  It's easy for any age, any athletic ability to learn.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 87

20 minutes on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the stationary bicycle Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 87

You have to have a combination of weights and aerobic. I do a fairly heavy weight set (18 total upper and lower body) about once a week. I do aerobic (usually orbital stepper) at least two days a week. These types of workouts keep up your body's ability to repair itself and keeps the aches and pains at bay.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 87

Yoga is great for flexibilty but also great for strength.  My yoga instuctor makes it mentally challenging as well, which is something I need. You have to focus.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 87

Outdoor cycling. Cycling is a great exercise capable of working not only your legs but your arms and core as well. Besure to include some hills in your route so that you can work out your arms and core via out of the seat cycling. Outside is better than inside since you get the outside environment feel. I do it all year around in the Chicago area, you just need to dress for the weather, i.e., layer up. The hood from my sweatshirt under my helmet keeps my head nice and warm on windy, cold days. Double knit leggings keeps the legs warm. A cycling windbreaker jacket keeps the cold wind out.

Kudos
Views