Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your exercise of choice?

Message 81 of 90

I feel exercise should be viewed like the best food habits - eat the rainbow!  I take Bootcamps through my local parks and rec and through a local high school.  I fast walk as much as possible with my dogs.  At the gym, I alternate every form of cardio plus free weights or the machines, or body weight exercises with or without the Bosu and/or the bands.  I use the TRX, the assisted-pullup machine, the Smith rack and all the other equipment.  Hiking is great for the brain and body too!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 90

For many years, I exercise at home 30-60 minutes every morning after a light to medium healthy breakfast.  Includes (some combination/variation/alternating each day) 10 lb dumbells, yoga, pilates, leg exercises, situps, pushups, large green ball exercises, styrofoam roller exercises, theraband, and rolling tennis balls on my back.  I also take a 25-60 minute bike ride (moderate, mostly flat) 7 to 12 times a month (depending on weather, mood, time, availability, energy level, etc), and I walk about twice that much.  And, of course there's housework!   I eat organic and healthy whenever possible (but not always so much so).  I'm turning 65 next month, and have survived two types of cancer and hep c, and currently have lymphedema (in 1 leg), and spinal stenosis.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 90

I do lots of fast walking, jog and run some 5k races, ride horses, lift hay bales, saddles, sacks of feed and more. All of that covers most muscle groups. I have been riding on and off for most of my life and always walked or hiked. In my 30s and 40s I got serious about running and ran 5k, 10k, half marathons and 2 marathons. I got too busy in my 50s working full time and raising some horses so quit running. 3 years ago a friend talked me into doing a 5k with her and I got hooked again. I am 73, soon to be 74. I think it is good to just keep moving especially doing what you enjoy! The Lord has blessed me with the strength to keep doing these things.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 90

I've been going to Curves about 3 times a week for over 10 years.  Lost 50 lbs by learning to eat and exercise right and have kept it off.  MUCH stronger, with better balance and flexibility.  Made great friends, too!  It works.

Judy in Paradise
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 90

I practice 30 minutes of yoga daily. I also rotate days of playing pickleball and workouts at Planet Fitness.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 90

Exercise Daily for 1 hour at gym.

Do Elliptical, Rowing machine & Weight Lifting.

Also do gardening & eat healthy homemade salads

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 90

2 hours a day at a gym. About an hour of aerobics (step class or treadmill, stepper, stair climber) and about an hour of weight lifting.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 90

I love walking.  I don't mind swimming once in a while but very seldom do I get the urge to go swim.  When I walk, I always enjoy putting on classical music such as piano works by Schubert or a Moart piece with tons of violins and French horns playing.

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 90

Hiking is my favorite. Biking next. Swimming next.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What is your exercise of choice?

Message 90 of 90

What is your preferred way to get exercise/move? How long have you been doing it?

Still looking for ideas on the right activity for you, or maybe a new activity? Check out our new guide on getting moving: https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/get-moving.html

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera