Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What are your favorite spring seasonal foods?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What are your favorite spring seasonal foods?

Spring provides a wonderful assortment of seasonal foods. What are your favorite things to eat in the spring?

I've been eating a lot of asparagus since the season started. It's a low-calorie food that's packed with nutrients. It's a great source of vitamin K, which helps with blood-clotting and bone health. Check out this yummy asparagus with red peppers recipe.

Another favorite spring vegetable of mine is artichoke, which can help reduce cholesterol and aid in digestion. I've always liked them, and I have fond memories of eating them with my mom when I was a child. I like to roast them with some olive oil, salt, pepper and a clove of garlic tucked into the center. These caesar-stuffed artichokes also sound delicious!

Now, it's your turn! Share what your favorite spring foods are and any recipes you have ⬇️

Super Contributor

Dandelion greens sautéed in bacon grease, lamb's quarter pasta, wild chanterelle mushrooms, queen Anne's lace flower tea, toasted curly dock seeds, and grilled greenbriar shoots.

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Contributor

Are the lab's quarter pasta, and toasted curly dock seeds - also greenbriar shoots - native to only Texas?  I use dandelion flowers for wine, queen Anne's lace tea, radish greens with bacon and some grease, Morell mushrooms.

Conversationalist

Clementines!

A recent haul.A recent haul.

I think they're seasonal. Are they spring-ish? Who knows? Who can tell? Well, I get a 2- or 3-pound net bag of 'em or a — what is it — four, five-pound box and, brother, I eat one after another until these very fingers I'm typing this with are painfully raw from clementine-peel, or citric, acid.

Contributor

as for me, I would have to say apples, doesnt matter what kind,I love them all.

Recognized Social Butterfly

All Fruit 🍉 

Racquel Evans
Conversationalist

I love roasted butternut squash!
I make carrot, or spinach or mini bell peppers hummus and love it on homemade crackers, yum!

I love spinach and make tofu salad with it or smoothies. 
my favorite is asparagus, it’s hard not to eat the whole package.

Contributor

I love aspargus! I will try roasting them, it sounds delicious.

!

Community Manager
Community Manager

I've found that you can't go wrong with roasted veggies @bdoll333. It's my favorite way to prepare and eat most of 'em!

Social Butterfly

Sam Adams brews a fantastic Spring lager!  I look forward to it every year.  🍺

Community Manager
Community Manager

🍻

Trusted Contributor

Do you take artichokes apart before you cook them or you cook them whole?

Disclosure - I have never eaten an artichoke. I intend to eat some after seeing your post. 

Wanjiru Warama
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @WanjirusBits! I cut the stem at the bottom, and then trim each leaf with scissors so the pokey tips are removed. Then I gently open the artichoke with my fingers so it looks like a blooming rose. I put a clove of garlic in the middle, close to the heart. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover my baking dish with tin foil to avoid burning. I roast them at 400 for ~45 mins - 1 hour. When they are done, I like to dip them in a greek yogurt ranch-like sauce I make (full-fat greek yogurt, dill, salt, pepper, a splash of red wine vinegar, other tasty things if you want additional flavors). Growing up, my mom would make curry mayo, which is exactly what it sounds like (curry powder mixed with mayo). It's also quite tasty with artichokes. When you get to the heart, you have to cut away the hairy, pokey part. I find it's easier to do that when the artichokes have been cooked, which is why I roast them whole. Plus, the heart is my favorite part!

Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your detailed recipe. I'm definitely going to try artichokes. So I don't forget, I'll copy your reply.

Thanks again.

P/S

Wanjiru Warama
Periodic Contributor

I have been having a lot of asparagus and strawberries too.  I steam the asparagus and sprinkle ume vinegar on it.  It is salty, not vinegary.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Ooo ume vinegar, I've never heard of that. Will have to add that to my pantry @prsmith27!

Super Contributor

I also love spring asparagus, roasted in a bit of olive oil with salt and pepper  and when done, sprinkled with a bit of balsamic vinegar.  So good!

I'm starting to see summer cherries in the store but they're still expensive.  My all time favorite fruit ~ I swear I must eat at least 20 lbs of them during the summer!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Balsamic vinegar is so good @BertyBGone! And so are summer cherries! They are one of my favorite summer fruits as well 🍒

Contributor

I love Broccoli, with olive oil, lemon, salt/pepper and garlic!.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Yum! Do you roast it @DominiqueR237691?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP