Community Manager
Community Manager

What are you pickling/jarring?

Do you pickle or jar/can things? How do you make your garden bounty last?

Lately, I've been making pickled red onions. I'm obsessed with them. They are so flavorful and the color is 😍

pickled red onions.jpg

Check this out for easy techniques to preserve your fruits and veggies!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Pickling burdock root using the pickled okra recipe from the canning book put out by Ball! Growing up in Minnesota, burdock was everywhere but here in Houston I have to buy it from a local Asian market.

www.foragingtexas.com
www.medicinemanplantco.com
YouTube: DrMerriwether
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Does pickling red onions make them sweeter?  You mentioned they were very flavorful.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, pickling them does make them sweeter as I add sugar to the vinegar. Takes the onion-y bite out. I've followed this recipe in the past and they are so good: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-quickpickled-red-onions-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193247

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Daybreaker Live! Rock n' Rollin' Spring Fling: A Sock Hop Dance Sponsored by AARP

Saturday, April 17 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. ET

Register Now

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health

Let Us Work for You

AARP is your trusted friend and fierce defender. Membership unlocks powerful benefits to help you in your life. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership