Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What are the top 5 reasons you hate going to the doctor?

Message 61 of 66
1) COST
2)WANT TO RUN TEST EXTRA COST
3) SOME WILL IGNORE YOU AND GIVE YOU A PRECONCEIVED OPINION
4) RUN MORE TEST EXTRA MONEY
5) take this prescription. Usually no noticeable difference OR MAKES YOU FEEL WORSE.
   I usually take med. for 3-6months.if no difference, I take myself off it.
   if it makes me feel worse, I usually don't  even take it that long
++ went to a  neurologist had MRI done on head. no problem. ran  different test said  I was having minor seizures. take a prescription. totally screwed up my head.
  went to hospital 1 month later found brain tumor. kept me on med.
after 3 doctors and several different prescriptions. I still had  very limited mental comprehension with severe mental spells.
Took myself  of the prescriptions. Mental comprehension 80% improved, severe spells 80% less frequent, 80% less severe. been Doing better without seizure med for the last 18 months
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 66
1.  No diagnosis
2.  No explanation of potential side effects of prescription medications
3. No answers to my questions
4. Wait 1-2 hours for 90 seconds of physician time
5. Not being shown results of tests

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 66
I thought I was the only one who hated to go to the doctors. I'm glad to see that  I am NOT alone.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 66
In Response to What are the top 5 reasons you hate going to the doctor?:
Here are just a few of mine: 1.  Always waiting whether you are early or late. 2.  The cost of the visit. 3.  Will catch a cold from germs left there. 4.  Blood pressure always higher when there. 5. The doctor won't find anything wrong with your complaints.
Posted by AARPTeri

1.  The only reason I go is to get a renewal of my simvastatin prescription -- I just don't have other medical problems except for periodic trauma resulting from 100 days a year of snow-boarding. 

2.  By choice, I live way out in the Big Thicket in East Texas and have an hour drive to get to my doctor's office.  (There are some local doctor's but they all have signs on the door saying "Walk-ins Welcome."  My wife says she wouldn't go to a hair dresser with a sign like that.)

3.  I have blood work-up to support the simvastatin and to watch for some family history of diabetes, and I never hear the results without calling and asking for a copy of the report.

4. Nowadays, the nurses don't actually time my pulse -- they use an electronic monitor to report pulse and blood pressure.  I can voluntarily slow my pulse to under 50 beats a minute.  I do that and they think something is wrong with their machine.  they check all the connections and move the contact around.  Usually, they'll go get another machine before they check manually.  I'll keep it down for the second machine and then raise up to something over 60 when then they give up and check in person.  My doctor is on to this and usually will have a joking aside -- something like, "Well, the new nurse thinks that you are dead, so I'll guess that you aren't having any cardiac problems."

5. The doctor can't do anything about important problems such as the fact that my snow-white hair is getting very thin and my wife's libido is slipping below noticable -- he just says that those things aren't really problems at my post 70 age.
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

What are the top 5 reasons you hate going to the doctor?

Message 65 of 66
Here are just a few of mine:

1.  Always waiting whether you are early or late.
2.  The cost of the visit.
3.  Will catch a cold from germs left there.
4.  Blood pressure always higher when there.
5. The doctor won't find anything wrong with your complaints.
AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What are the top 5 reasons you hate going to the doctor?

Message 65 of 66
Here are just a few of mine:

1.  Always waiting whether you are early or late.
2.  The cost of the visit.
3.  Will catch a cold from germs left there.
4.  Blood pressure always higher when there.
5. The doctor won't find anything wrong with your complaints.
AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies