Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What are some home remedies for coughing?

Periodic Contributor

What are some home remedies for coughing?

I have been coughing for 3-4 days, however I'm unable to visit my doctor now because he's not in on weekends. What are some sensible home remedies for coughing?

Contributor

A good squeeze of fresh lemon with honey in a 1/4 of bourbon
Contributor

I'm with Argentina, honey and lime or lemon juice (without the onion, though).

My mother used this home remedy on my Son to cure him from Asthma and till this day, my Son has not suffered, NOT ONE Astma Attack, therefore I swear by this home remedy...

2-Egg Whites

1-Tsp. Pure Honey

In a small bowl whip the 2 egg whites till completely foamy then place this small bowl

unto a bigger bowl whereas you can tilt it, place it upon a window ledge inside your home

making sure that it is facing the SUN, allowing the SUN to hit this Foam and you will begin

to see the Oil from the White of the Egg begin to drip down into the bigger bowl, once all

the Oil has been secreted from the Whipped Egg Whites, place the secreted Oil into a small

bottle and add the Teaspoon of Pure Honey then shake, shake, shake well and drink 1 Teaspoon

4X a day and as you begin to cough up congestion, your cough will diminish and you shall be cured

NOT healed...CURED, there's a difference...Healed is temporary, CURED is PERMANENT!!!

May GOD be with You and Everyone โค๏ธ

Contributor

I gargle with warm salt water. I also drink tea with honey it soothes the throat. Of course cough drops. If a bad cough nasty old cough syrup. I have to use the DM kind because I'm on thryoid medication.

Contributor

Hi..

Very Nice Article..

Get More Details Check Here

Periodic Contributor

Thank you ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ˜Š this is very important, because we can help others people to have a very healthy life.
Contributor

Growing up, we used a tablespoon of Olive oil once or twice a day. 

Contributor

I use the' Traditionaal Medicinals Seasonal Herb Tea Sampler  ' teas a box with an assortment for Gypsey Cold care. Echinaces Plus, Throat Coat (very helpful) and Breathe Easy --not unpleasant tasting and they have worked very well for me and my adult children even use them!!  Caffeine free, no side effects!! at some grocery stores, Sprouts and health food stores.   If you want to check your pantry good old lemon, honey and brandy is a great fall back and may help with sleep....a vaporizer warm or cool mist --  moisture in the house air is the benefit--if no vaporizer just put some pans of water in your bedroom near the bed--you pets will love the extra water bowls...

Periodic Contributor

Honey tea. A popular home remedy for coughs is mixing honey with warm water. Ginger. Ginger may ease a dry or asthmatic cough, as it has anti-inflammatory properties. Fluids. Staying hydrated is vital for those with a cough or cold. Steam. Marshmallow root. Salt-water gargle. Thyme.

Green tea is a powerful antioxidant too. 

I use in Spanish they call FLOR DE JAMAICA OR JAMAICA FLOWER, itโ€™s full of vitamin C and good for many others things.

I hope that this can help you. LOVE & PEACE โ˜ฎ๏ธ 

Contributor

I am a physician with expertise in Functional medicine 

Best cough remedies :

Slippery Elm powder : dissolve in hot water : it forms a gel which helps soothe cough 

Zinc Cough Lozenges :zinc is fabulous for cough avoid chemical additives in the cough drops 

Quercitin : is a plant based remedy that works as effectively as Zyrtec or Benadryl

Honey and lemon in warm water or tea

The best OTC cough medicines contain diphenhydramine ( aka Benadryl) or Guanefisin ( in robitussin ) 

mold fashioned steam humidifier with eucalyptus or lavender or both

Periodic Contributor

Wow this is amazing, thanks for your recommendations. Natural remedies are the best.
Contributor

If the cough is from a cold, i make a tea of 3 cups water, 5 crushed garlic cloves, including skin, juice of 1 lemon  and the juiced lemons, 1/2 tsp. cayenne, 3 T. honey, 1 thumb of ginger diced. Simmer it for 15 minutes; then off the stove for 15 minutes. Strain. Discard peels, etc. Drink 1/4 cup of juice every few hours.

Periodic Contributor

1-) I use lemon, honey, and red onion but if you don't like the red onion you make without it.

this is very good for coughs, congestion, and its antibacterial.  

2-) Ginger tea is excellent and it has many properties. Ginger is my favorite root, I love it. 

3-) Clove tea is amazing for the phlegm.

I love nature and natural plants are divine. Just try and you won't regret it.

I hope my recommendation can help everyone around the world and you can have a beautiful and healthy life. Love & Peace

Argentina 

Regular Contributor

I am not expert, and I do not like to use medicine, so in saying that I will tell you what works for me.  I use Elderberry juice, it isn't a fast cure (it took me about 5-7 days to heal when I started it), but you drink a small amount several times a day until your cough passes, then you continue to drink a little every morning and night to help your immune system, so you don't catch it again.  They have several remedies you can purchase at Whole foods or a health food store, just ask the clerk to explain the differences to you.  I started with the Sambucus brand when I was sick, they have several to choose from.  Let us know what you do and how it works for you.  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP