Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What and how much do fit, active, seniors actually eat?

What and how much do fit, active, seniors actually eat?

I'm the family cook, and my husband and I are both active, fit, over 65's. When I study what experts say we should be eating, it's completely out of line with what we do eat as far as calories, protein, fat, and carbs. Are there any studies of fit active seniors that track what they actually eat? You'd need to account for male/female, age, height, maybe BMI and % muscle mass, and than track their macros. The readouts from our local gym say we should be eating more calories, and way more protein, but it would be tough given how much we already eat at a meal. Most studies are focused on making changes to diet for people who have problems and don't look at people who are getting it right. Comments?  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Some studies have shown that older adults should aim for a higher protein intake than younger people, as this can help maintain muscle mass and prevent muscle loss. A general recommendation is to consume around 1.2 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.

As for overall calorie intake, this can also vary depending on individual factors and activity level. It's important for seniors to consume sufficient calories to maintain energy levels and support their physical activity, but not to overeat and risk weight gain and associated health issues.

While there may not be specific studies tracking the dietary habits of fit and active seniors, it's important to listen to your body and consume balanced meals that include a variety of nutrient-dense foods.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP