How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist

Re: What Does a 90 Y-O Do After Setting a New World Record? Keep Running.

Message 1 of 5 (154 Views)

Its telling that her siblings have gotten ill but she has not. Hope I'm in half as good of shape at 90 .

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5 (257 Views)

What you can do, or dream you can, begin it,
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
Only engage, and then the mind grows heated, —
Begin it, and the work will be completed!”

This quote is often attributed to Goethe, but may actually have been penned by Irish poet John Anster. No matter, Imma gonna mess with it anyway. Smiley Happy

Whatever your fitness plans, begin it. Exercise has genius, power and magic in it! 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 3 of 5 (258 Views)

Epster wrote:

Hands down the most important part, IMHO:

"I never have taken any medication, except once for some allergy, and it went away. In fact, I’ve never had a headache. I had seven siblings, and none of them are with us now. A lot of them developed osteoporosis as they got older. There’s been cancer and some dementia too. Compared to them, I’ve been healthier. I guess running has helped me." --Dottie Gray, senior athlete

I guess running has helped her. I can only hope recumbent trike racing will help me.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 4 of 5 (280 Views)

Hands down the most important part, IMHO:

"I never have taken any medication, except once for some allergy, and it went away. In fact, I’ve never had a headache. I had seven siblings, and none of them are with us now. A lot of them developed osteoporosis as they got older. There’s been cancer and some dementia too. Compared to them, I’ve been healthier. I guess running has helped me." --Dottie Gray, senior athlete

What Does a 90 Y-O Do After Setting a New World Record? Keep Running.

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 5 (299 Views)

Dottie Gray, 91, St Louis, MissouriDottie Gray, 91, St Louis, Missouri

Go, Dottie! Go!

When Dottie Gray signed up for the first national sports competition for seniors in 1987, she had no idea how far the road ahead would stretch. In fact, before she was 54, the petite powerhouse had no idea she would even become a runner, or that her example would inspire many others to pursue fitness.

Dottie had no competitive sports history growing up, burning energy riding her bike all over south Saint Louis instead. She kept active with the task of raising six kids until she picked up tennis with the help of her husband at 44. Ten years later, she entered a local road race on a whim, training alone at a nearby junior high school track. She ran the race and went home. A friend called to tell her she had won her age group and to come back for the trophy. Dottie joined the St. Louis Track Club and never looked back.

The St. Louis Senior Olympics, one of the first of its kind in the country, captured her fancy, and in 1987 she eagerly entered the first National Senior Games (then called the National Senior Sports Classic) held in the Arch City. Dottie became one of eight athletes who have competed in all National Senior Games over three decades.

2015 was a special year as Dottie turned 90 and had three different birthday parties thrown by her family, her senior living center and her track club. Family members also ran in a race with her to celebrate. The big sports moment came when she established a world record as the first 90-year-old woman to complete a 5,000-meter race, which was held at the Huntsman World Senior Games, NSGA’s Utah qualifying games. CBS Sunday Morning captured her in action for a 2016 feature story.  Watch Here.  

For Dottie Gray, it’s literally been a great run, and there’s a lot more road ahead as she continues to pursue her Personal Best. We have no doubt she’ll keep running, and inspiring others to keep moving, for many more years to come.

Dottie with her awards and medalsDottie with her awards and medalsQ. You’ve inspired many personally, and now you’ve inspired a lot more people you don’t even know.

A. I think I’m healthy because of my running. My kids and everybody else thinks so too. I do encourage people to exercise or run.  A lot of people, even some men, tell me they have started running because of me. I feel really good about that.

I just think that running is so great for you. its good exercise. And it’s easy to do. You can just put on your shoes and go out the door, you don’t need a racquet or any equipment. You don’t have to jump up and run. Just start walking, and every day try to go a little farther and a little faster. Pretty soon, you’ll be doing a 5K. You have to practice, and it’s really important to have good running shoes.

So, I keep active and I have no health problems. I never have taken any medication, except once for some allergy, and it went away. In fact, I’ve never had a headache. I had seven siblings, and none of them are with us now. A lot of them developed osteoporosis as they got older. There’s been cancer and some dementia too. Compared to them, I’ve been healthier. I guess running has helped me.

Read the entire interview with Dottie here: http://nsga.com/health-wellness/2016-04-20-13-52-56/personalbest/go-dottie-go