Get the facts you need about your eye health, including updates on the latest treatments, at the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ways to Exercise Hands and Fingers

Message 1 of 11

@valerieo915427wrote:

I do have RA in my fingers,  I do exercise my fingers. finger to thumb, so they won deform anymore, thank for the the tip.

@valerieo915427  Good for yu for exercising your hands! I hope these exercises help you.

I've been doing them nearly daily and I think my hands are more agile because of it. Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

I do have RA in my fingers,  I do exercise my fingers. finger to thumb, so they won deform anymore, thank for the the tip.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

@k759465s wrote:

Thanks Epster! I couldn’t cut and paste the diagram from my phone!  These are considered the gold standard for range of motion exercises for the hands and come from a reputable hand clinic despite the date of the article. I use them myself as I have inflammatory arthritis 

@k759465s  No worries; happy to share that for you.

I used the diagram myself this morning. I don't >have< arthritis in my hands, but do notice stiffness in certain joints after using them certain ways.

I am trying to break the habit of steadying a water bottle with my little finger held under the bottle, supporting the weight. This action stresses the joint. Also I need to watch how I wrap my thumb and forefinger around the water bottle's neck while not drinking from it. That, too, stresses joints. So I'm being proactive by doing the exercises before I develop actual arthritis. I'm thinking this will buy me more arthritis-free years. (HOPING, really. Smiley Happy)

Thanks again for providing the exercises!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Thanks Epster! I couldn’t cut and paste the diagram from my phone!  These are considered the gold standard for range of motion exercises for the hands and come from a reputable hand clinic despite the date of the article. I use them myself as I have inflammatory arthritis 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

@k759465s wrote:

As an occupational therapist, I agree that keeping your hands strong and agile helps you stay independent in your daily tasks. I recommend doing tendon gliding exercises. Here’s a research article that includes a great diagram of these exercises- hope this helps!

https://ajot.aota.org/pdfaccess.ashx?url=/data/journals/ajot/930394/164.pdf

@k759465s  Thanks!  

All,  here's that diagram:

tendon gliding.png

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

Seriously, the best you can do is some very fuzzy x-rays and pictures and an article written in 1987?  This is really sad and totally unnecessary.  Surely you could come up with information and photos or diagrams that are relatively new.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

As an occupational therapist, I agree that keeping your hands strong and agile helps you stay independent in your daily tasks. I recommend doing tendon gliding exercises. Here’s a research article that includes a great diagram of these exercises- hope this helps!

https://ajot.aota.org/pdfaccess.ashx?url=/data/journals/ajot/930394/164.pdf

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@roberts258723 wrote:

I reside in Skokie Illinois and I stretch and move my Fingers on a daily basis

This keeps my Fingers strong and flexible. I can feel the difference when I carry groceries home

@roberts258723   I know Skokie! I was born on the north shore. Smiley Happy

You continue to share tidbits with us that show what a great example you are! It is awesome that you walk to the grocery store. Purely awesome!  Do you do that year-round?

I don't carry groceries home, as we live 5 miles up the hill from the nearest grocery store (besides I prefer the organic store across town, which is 7 miles away). But I do park in the stall furthest from the store's front door, and I do carry my bags to the car.

Not that that is giving me strong hands. My hands are not as strong in terms of the grip test they did on other senior athletes. So I'm looking to improve them. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

I reside in Skokie Illinois and I stretch and move my Fingers on a daily basis

This keeps my Fingers strong and flexible. I can feel the difference when I carry groceries home

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

So what do you think about these exercises? Are they useful? Have you tried them?  What other ways do you know to keep hands and fingers strong?

Kudos
Views