From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Water, an unappreciated nutrient.

Message 1 of 10

Fluoride is also in toothpaste. We all switched to Baking soda ( Sodium Bicarbonate) for body washing and for brushing teeth. It's a gift. Google search for Dr. Mercola's article on how good it is.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

Kudos in growing your own organic food. Best investment.

Water is definitely life. A good Filtration system will go a long way,and is a good investment.

I had the Aqualistic system installed to cut out chlorine, fluoride, and also a reverse osmosis system under my sink. I feel safe knowin it cuts 90% of the toxic stuff out. A quick look at your city's water report will scare you.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@CarryAnne wrote:

@Epster I have cheaper options, but they are only valid locally. You have to figure out the lowest cost, safest water in your locale on your own. 

However, you're right. It is expensive! For decades I trusted a good under the  counter water filtration system. I changed the filter every 6 months, and it did reduce the F in my water, but apparently not enough. With kidney and liver problems, and worsening arthritis, I went back to spring water and eliminated my health problems in 9 days. 

I figure my choice is pay for water or pay the doctor. It's less than $10 a week for spring water for everything, even to brush my teeth. Once I get the fluoride (and ammonia) out of my city water, I'll go back to a filtration system. 

See: http://momsagainstfluoridation.org/sites/default/files/pdf-documents/FluorideChloramineLead_2_2.pdf

Yeah, see, I'm just thinking that it has been widely reported that most bottled water is tap water. I understand that you have found some that are not. Anyway, the bottles are a huge cost to the earth.

But, if you have seen a huge improvement in your health, then that is clearly the way to go. So yay you for finding out what works for you. And right: that's why I raise my own organic fish at a cost of nine bucks a pound (and make my own organic herbal medicine, and raise my own organic chicken, et cetera, ad nauseum Smiley Happy) : sure it is spendy, but so is ill health. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@Epster I have cheaper options, but they are only valid locally. You have to figure out the lowest cost, safest water in your locale on your own. 

However, you're right. It is expensive! For decades I trusted a good under the  counter water filtration system. I changed the filter every 6 months, and it did reduce the F in my water, but apparently not enough. With kidney and liver problems, and worsening arthritis, I went back to spring water and eliminated my health problems in 9 days. 

I figure my choice is pay for water or pay the doctor. It's less than $10 a week for spring water for everything, even to brush my teeth. Once I get the fluoride (and ammonia) out of my city water, I'll go back to a filtration system. 

See: http://momsagainstfluoridation.org/sites/default/files/pdf-documents/FluorideChloramineLead_2_2.pdf

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@CarryAnne OK, thanks for that.

Seems like a lot of cost to your pocketbook and to the earth to be shipping water frm Norway. What alternatives are there?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@Epster You can't go by brands, as the same national brand can be sourced from different springs with different F content.

• Most distributors have the content of their water on their websites, although I can tell almost immediately if the F level is above my tolerance level, i.e. .3 ppm. In Canada, the individual bottles list F content, which is a delight. In the US, it says zero fat and carobhydrates - how stupid. 
  • If I'm eating out, I trust Pelligrino from Italy and Voss from Norway. At home I have 3 brands I know I can trust that I can buy more cheaply. 

See this thread for lots of F info: http://community.aarp.org/t5/Brain-Health/Fluoride-Demand-AARP-Take-Action/m-p/1528688

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@CarryAnne What water do you drink? (Sorry if you have said elsewhere.)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

I drink about 3 liters of water a day. On top of that, I eat pasta, rice and soup reguarly. I'm very interested in what else is in my water, besides water. I simply cannot consume tap water, and even high quality filtration systems cannot remore the harmful  and unnecessary chemicals added to our water.

1. Fluoride is optional, and only works on teeth topically anyway. It doesn't belong in water. Fluoridation chemicals are invariably polluted with aluminum, arsenic, lead, and other toxins. When fluoride is added to municipal water, it requires the addition of additional chemicals to balance the pH.
  2. We need to disinfect our water, but the best process is filtering out the organic matter, using ozone and then adding a minimum of chlorine, as necessary. The cheap way is to ignore the organic pollution and add ammonia along with chlorine (aka chloramine.) This increases the risk of various water borne diseases not currently regulated by the EPA and requires periodic "chlorine burns" which invariably increase pre-term births among pregnant women. 

Expert in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “Iodine is the key that turns on the thyroid’s energy engine, but fluoride intake causes thyroid cells to pick up fluoride instead, causing the thyroid to become more sluggish. Studies show that ingesting only 2.2 mg fluoride daily, as from drinking 2 liters of fluoridated water daily (3 liters at .7 ppm), can slow thyroid function.” - Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, MD (2016)

Expert in Water Regulations: “Chloramine is the duct tape of the water industry, a temporary cheap ass trick.” - Robert Bowcock (2016)

See citations: http://momsagainstfluoridation.org/sites/default/files/pdf-documents/FluorideChloramineLead_2_2.pdf

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Good stuff as always, @fwarren1. Smiley Happy

One more point about water: it's generally free at restaurants. So it not only saves your waistline, your skin, helps purge your body of toxins and keeps your muscles from cramping, it'll save you money. Smiley Happy

Dear Hubby and I try to drink at least 4 litres of water daily. But we're competitive senior athletes who workout and/or train an average of 2.5 hours a day. Also we live a mile above sea level. Water is basically all we drink (a few cups of coffee in the morning, sometimes hot or cold herbal tea, on rare occasion half a beer). 

On our 70 mile cycling days (like yesterday) it is likely that I'll drink 20-25 cups of water.  Believe me, I sweat much of that out. 

Thanks for continuing to post interesting and usable content!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Water, an unappreciated nutrient.

Message 10 of 10

fwarren
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season