If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Walking / Hiking activities with friends or groups.

Message 1 of 10

Hi, Yes walking and hiking with others is a good motivator to stay active. Once your body craves the walk, you can explore solo walking/hiking. A mindfulness experience.

Dami Roelse
Walk! Your Life Depends on It!
http://www.transformation-travel.com
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10
The nature of Meetup.com is that people join many groups that interest them but participate in a very few. The groups I organized have about 1,000 cyclists. The typical group that show up to bike or hike are about 15-20 per meetup. I would say that each groug has maybe 50 active participants. Yes, Meetup.com has challenged bike clubs and traditional membership models. Both groups are highly successful. They are financially stable not charging for meetups. Both use the "chip in" feature of Meetup and only remind members once or twice a year. The cycling meetup has a yealy cycling retreat that builds in a profit to fund the group. The concept of meetups started in the tech world in Silicon Valley and has exploded. It is preferred my the younger. Society today does not want to have obligations like club membership. It is the evolving social networking nature of society.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@BearonaBicycle wrote:

I am a big fan of Meetup. Over the past 8 years I have been active in many. I was one of the organizers of a large cycling and hiking meetup. I moved 2 hours away. I see none in my area. I am tempted to start one in my new location. I find that people in these meetups are generally very good people. My advice too is to join one or start one.

There are close to a zilion cycling meetups along the Colorado Front Range. One for every stripe of rider. Old, slow, young, racers, uprights mixed with trikes, trikes only .... I understand that if the group has a few hundred participants (really online subscribers rather than folks who show up at each event) the organizer must pay a fee to meetup. They in turn ask participants to pay a small fee to cover those monthly costs. One local cycling group I am aware of disbanded last summer because there were so many 'ghost' participants, meaning there were about 400 online subscribers, however there were fewer than 20 weekly cyclists. So the organizer/owner disbanded the group. I think those 20 cyclists went on to organize a new group.

Like @BearonaBicycle, I find the people in these groups to be interesting and fun.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10
meetup.com has something for everyone! Give it a look.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

I'll have to look into this.
Don't recall hearing of this MeetUp group....

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I avoid meetups that are obvious attempts to build up a person's business and not help the group. I belong to a photography meetup run by a professional that charges a small amount per meetup. It is worth  it. He gives expert advice and guidance and is cheaper than any organized class. You definitely need to investigate these type of meetups and leave when they appear to be only money machines for the organizer. I o find them to be few and far between. Good luck!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

I've experienced 2 types of Meet-Up groups. One is where someone just wants company doing a particular activity, and there are no costs beyond what the activity itself costs. Another is where someone is a quasi-professional, and uses Meet-Up to develop a network of interested participants .. at which point the sessions require payment.

I just signed up for a spiritual group with a Meet-Up that's twice a month; I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

I am a big fan of Meetup. Over the past 8 years I have been active in many. I was one of the organizers of a large cycling and hiking meetup. I moved 2 hours away. I see none in my area. I am tempted to start one in my new location. I find that people in these meetups are generally very good people. My advice too is to join one or start one.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

@Mike05 - You might want to mention the state you're in, because there are "Beaver Counties" in Pennsylvania, Utah, and Oklahoma.

Good luck finding like-minded walkers! Have you checked for Meet-Up groups in your area? www.MeetUp.com. Even if there isn't a group now, you can sign up with your interests, and they'll e-mail you with a group if one starts .. or you can start your own group!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Walking / Hiking activities with friends or groups.

Message 10 of 10

I would enjoy walking / hiking and be with groups in the Beaver County, Western Pennsylvania area, at both Parks and Recreation locations for exercise and to get out with others. Thanks.

Mike
Kudos
Views
Replies