Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Unsafe: High Resting Heart Rate Cheap Fix: Exercise

Message 1 of 6

My tip for getting a cardio workout: Get a mini-trampoline. They can be inexpensive, don't take up much room, travel well, and offer a fun cardio workout. I burn 600-800 calories on mine in 45-60 minutes; of course a person can get in a cardio workout in half that time.

Another advantage of the mini-trampoline is that you don't have to go outside. (winter is coming)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@Epster wrote:

And now the question I meant to ask : what are you doing to ensure a healthy heart and arteries?  Any tips for the rest of us?

I eat oats, walnuts, olive oil, fatty fish and avocado to help keep my arteries clean.

I get 30 minutes of cardio exercise M-F. That's not including strength training or cycling. On weekends I usually ride with this crazy crew that thinks nothing of a 75 mile bike ride Smiley Tongue

My tip: take the stairs. You'll work your heart and build muscles at the same time

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

And now the question I meant to ask : what are you doing to ensure a healthy heart and arteries?  Any tips for the rest of us?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Walk. Bike. Climb stairs. Do something good for yourself today! Smiley Wink

Go!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

There was a health station at the Huntsman World Senior Games cycling events. Most of the recumbent racers went and had their pulse, blood pressure and oxygen saturation checked a few minutes after we'd raced the 20K time trial. Every one of those athletes had textbook perfect vitals. Every one. We are not all skinny. We are not all exercising to the tune of 900 minutes a week, either. But we do exercise, every one of us. And our vitals reflect that.

Consider this another plug for getting out and exercising today, tomorrow and the day after, the day after that. Because no matter how much time you have left on this planet, I'm sure you join me in the hope that it will be joyful and as pain-free and healthy as possible. Smiley Happy

hwsg post ttJPG.jpgHalf of the multi-gold medal crew at HWSG.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Unsafe: High Resting Heart Rate Cheap Fix: Exercise

Message 6 of 6

heart-monitor-500.jpg

High Resting Heart Rate Unsafe

A resting heart rate greater than 80 beats per minute is a strong predictor for future heart attacks, diabetes and even cancer. From 1974 to 2002, 53,322 healthy people were followed at the Cooper Clinic in Dallas, Texas. Those with a resting heart rate lower than 60 beats per minute were far less likely to suffer heart attacks or to die than those with a resting heart rate greater than 80 beats per minute (Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 12/12/2013).

Another study found that men with resting heart rates greater than 73 beats per minute are 140 percent more likely to die from cancer than those with resting heart rates of less than 60 beats per minute (PLoS ONE, published online August 03, 2011). Among 6,101 French men who were followed for 25 years, the chances of developing cancer rose with increasing heart rates. Compared to the group with resting heart rates of less than 60 beats per minute, those with:

• 60-73 beats per minute increased cancer risk by 60 percent
• Greater than 73 beats per minute increased cancer risk 140 percent.

arteries.gifExercise and proper diet can help clean plaque from arteries.

Doctors often prescribe drugs to slow a rapid heartbeat, but the best way to lower your resting heart rate is by exercising to make your heart stronger. A stronger heart pumps more blood with each beat so it does not have to beat as often. The harder you exercise, the more you can lower your heart rate.

keep it simple.jpgTake steps to strengthen your heart. Today!

Read the entire article and learn more at: http://www.drmirkin.com/heart/high-resting-heart-rate-unsafe.html

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season