Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Turmeric: is this spice a wonder drug?

Honored Social Butterfly

Turmeric: is this spice a wonder drug?

Over the years turmeric has been 'accused' of wielding some amazing power. According to Web MD, this traditional east Indian spice has been used to fight everything from skin conditions to Alzheimer's.

Seriously. Look at this list! Web MD: "Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), joint pain, stomach pain, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, bypass surgery, hemorrhage, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems, Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection, stomach ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gallbladder disorders, high cholesterol, a skin condition called lichen planus, skin inflammation from radiationtreatment, and fatigue.

It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, itchy skin, recovery after surgery, and cancers. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer's disease, swelling in the middle layer of the eye (anterior uveitis), diabetes, water retention, worms, an autoimmune disease called systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), tuberculosis, urinary bladder inflammation, and kidney problems.

Some people apply turmeric to the skin for pain, ringworm, sprains and swellings, bruising, leech bites, eye infections, acne, inflammatory skin conditions and skin sores, soreness inside of the mouth, infected wounds, and gum disease.

Turmeric is also used as an enema for people with inflammatory bowel disease."

That's an impressive spice!*

Too much of a good thing can bring on side effects, so read this Web MD page about specific conditions and side effects before ordering a truck load of turmeric.

OK. You've checked the side effects, you've talked with your doctor and you are thinking about adding turmeric to your healthy living arsenal. So, how much turmeric does it take to cure a person of practically every disease known to man, or at least help fight inflammation? (Which has been implicated as a gateway condition for many diseases.)

Here's what this site says about turmeric dosage: "What's an appropriate dosage to avoid the side effects of turmeric? According to the medical community, about 2,000mg is the maximum amount of standardized turmeric curcumin you should take per day.

When cooking with ground turmeric powder, the University of Maryland recommends 1 to 3 grams per day. One gram of ground turmeric powder is about ½ teaspoon. Three grams is about 1½ teaspoons of ground turmeric powder.

According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, there is no recommended dose for children. For adults, the general recommended dose is 400-600mg of standardized curcumin powder 1-3 times per day. The NIH suggests you can take up to 500mg up to 4 times per day."

Need more data? Alrightythen. 🙂 Check out the Authority Nutrition site, which posted this article titled 10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin:  https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

Did that win you over? Let's get to it!

There are many ways to ingest turmeric besides mustard and curry, though those are good avenues as well. I prepare a spice blend consisting of powdered turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, clove, allspice, cardamom, cayenne plus freshly ground nutmeg and vanilla bean. I sprinkle this onto oatmeal, yogurt, into hot tea, a cup of warm milk. I won't detail all the health benefits of these spices here, but you're on the Internet: you can research them easily enough. I'll just say that this is an excellent health supporting spice mix.  I don't have a written recipe, though those ingredients are listed in order of volume.

In addition to the liberal use of my spice mix, I sprinkle a bit of plain turmeric into scambled eggs, frittatas, brown rice. It melds beautifully into chicken soup, stir fries, and many Asian dishes. Turmeric adds a healthy golden glow to drop biscuits and pancakes.

Bon Appetit has more ideas for cooking with turmeric:   http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/turmeric-recipes

As does Eating Well:  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/21646/ingredients/herbs-spices/spices/turmeric/

And The Kitchn: http://www.thekitchn.com/7-ways-to-eat-drink-turmeric-198696 Twice!: http://www.thekitchn.com/19-delicious-turmeric-recipes-to-spice-up-your-life-223795

Two questions for those already cooking with turmeric: How do you use this spice? Have you additional tips to offer others? Please do so!

*Just to be clear: Web MD is saying turmeric is effective against some of these ailments, while they feel more study is needed regarding its benefit against others.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Hi @Epster ! Great article on Turmeric! It is a seriously special ingredient! I have a great Turmeric Smoothie recipe over at my blog Healthy Smoothie HQ. Why is this smoothie so special? Let’s start with the key ingredient, turmeric. Inflammation is the root cause of myriad diseases and health issues. Turmeric is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatories found in nature. It was discovered that turmeric can stop inflammation at a biochemical route level. Meaning it addresses inflammation where it originates. It also prevents the deposition of amyloid plaque in the brain, which is what causes Alzheimer’s disease. 

0 Kudos

Can it be grown at home?  If so where can I purchase the seeds or plant. As my new years is that I plant so I know what I am eating. 

I just started taking turmeric pills but I want to grow it. 

@Epster wrote:

Over the years turmeric has been 'accused' of wielding some amazing power. According to Web MD, this traditional east Indian spice has been used to fight everything from skin conditions to Alzheimer's.

Seriously. Look at this list! Web MD: "Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), joint pain, stomach pain, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, bypass surgery, hemorrhage, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems, Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection, stomach ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gallbladder disorders, high cholesterol, a skin condition called lichen planus, skin inflammation from radiationtreatment, and fatigue.

It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, itchy skin, recovery after surgery, and cancers. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer's disease, swelling in the middle layer of the eye (anterior uveitis), diabetes, water retention, worms, an autoimmune disease called systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), tuberculosis, urinary bladder inflammation, and kidney problems.

Some people apply turmeric to the skin for pain, ringworm, sprains and swellings, bruising, leech bites, eye infections, acne, inflammatory skin conditions and skin sores, soreness inside of the mouth, infected wounds, and gum disease.

Turmeric is also used as an enema for people with inflammatory bowel disease."

That's an impressive spice!*

Too much of a good thing can bring on side effects, so read this Web MD page about specific conditions and side effects before ordering a truck load of turmeric.

OK. You've checked the side effects, you've talked with your doctor and you are thinking about adding turmeric to your healthy living arsenal. So, how much turmeric does it take to cure a person of practically every disease known to man, or at least help fight inflammation? (Which has been implicated as a gateway condition for many diseases.)

Here's what this site says about turmeric dosage: "What's an appropriate dosage to avoid the side effects of turmeric? According to the medical community, about 2,000mg is the maximum amount of standardized turmeric curcumin you should take per day.

When cooking with ground turmeric powder, the University of Maryland recommends 1 to 3 grams per day. One gram of ground turmeric powder is about ½ teaspoon. Three grams is about 1½ teaspoons of ground turmeric powder.

According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, there is no recommended dose for children. For adults, the general recommended dose is 400-600mg of standardized curcumin powder 1-3 times per day. The NIH suggests you can take up to 500mg up to 4 times per day."

Need more data? Alrightythen. 🙂 Check out the Authority Nutrition site, which posted this article titled 10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin:  https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

Did that win you over? Let's get to it!

There are many ways to ingest turmeric besides mustard and curry, though those are good avenues as well. I prepare a spice blend consisting of powdered turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, clove, allspice, cardamom, cayenne plus freshly ground nutmeg and vanilla bean. I sprinkle this onto oatmeal, yogurt, into hot tea, a cup of warm milk. I won't detail all the health benefits of these spices here, but you're on the Internet: you can research them easily enough. I'll just say that this is an excellent health supporting spice mix.  I don't have a written recipe, though those ingredients are listed in order of volume.

In addition to the liberal use of my spice mix, I sprinkle a bit of plain turmeric into scambled eggs, frittatas, brown rice. It melds beautifully into chicken soup, stir fries, and many Asian dishes. Turmeric adds a healthy golden glow to drop biscuits and pancakes.

Bon Appetit has more ideas for cooking with turmeric:   http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/turmeric-recipes

As does Eating Well:  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/21646/ingredients/herbs-spices/spices/turmeric/

And The Kitchn: http://www.thekitchn.com/7-ways-to-eat-drink-turmeric-198696 Twice!: http://www.thekitchn.com/19-delicious-turmeric-recipes-to-spice-up-your-life-223795

Two questions for those already cooking with turmeric: How do you use this spice? Have you additional tips to offer others? Please do so!

*Just to be clear: Web MD is saying turmeric is effective against some of these ailments, while they feel more study is needed regarding its benefit against others.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi @donnat881769  Yes! It can be grown at home. Turmeric is a root, so there's a bit more involved in growing and prepping your own than finding an appropriate spot for the plant. Here's a gardening blog that talks about growing turmeric at home: http://www.gardeningblog.net/how-to-grow/turmeric/

I wish you every success. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I've used turmeric a long time. I make that warm milk with turmeric and other spices. It's good stuff. Good sleep aide. Good article.
Super Contributor

Tumeric is a spice with many healthy properties and highly praised in Asian coultures. Personally, I don’t care for the taste, but I add it to my diet due to a cancer condition in my life. It is highly recommended for cancer patients. Another good spice for cancer patients is cinnamon. Yum! I like cinnamon !

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here's another turmeric recipe. This fish recipe is slated as preventing cancer (not beating, preventing): http://community.aarp.org/t5/Healthy-Living/Cancer-Preventing-Recipe-from-UCHealth/m-p/1854570

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP