It’s Brain Health Awareness Month! Check out Staying Sharp and its new features designed to support brain health.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Training Advice To Help Older Athletes Maintain Fitness

Message 1 of 9

@Soosie wrote:
Great tips. I use pineapple some times due to a stomach problem and know that it helps.
I used to be an avid walker and was always toned even into my sixties. Then, the thyroid problem made me all crazy for awhile. I stopped a lot of activities and was trying to find out what my problem was. Now that I have my medication in the right dose, I can no longer blame being out of shape on that problem. I am in my seventies, but will fight getting older. I don't act, talk or dress my age. I also keep a list that is titled "Things not to do to keep from becoming an old fart."
I love going to work with younger people and learn so much from them. A fun thing about the dress thing. I went to the junior section to buy a couple of tops because I like the cut of them. They hide my love handles. Problem was, those juniors don't have much of a bust and one of the tops is a tight fit in the bust. After I lose the extra pounds, it will fit better. Old age creeps up, but I will fight the affects.

Soosie

@Soosie LOVE it! You are my kind of woman! Wear what you want, be who you want and never apologize for your individuality! Beautiful. This makes me smile. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9
Great tips. I use pineapple some times due to a stomach problem and know that it helps.
I used to be an avid walker and was always toned even into my sixties. Then, the thyroid problem made me all crazy for awhile. I stopped a lot of activities and was trying to find out what my problem was. Now that I have my medication in the right dose, I can no longer blame being out of shape on that problem. I am in my seventies, but will fight getting older. I don't act, talk or dress my age. I also keep a list that is titled "Things not to do to keep from becoming an old fart."
I love going to work with younger people and learn so much from them. A fun thing about the dress thing. I went to the junior section to buy a couple of tops because I like the cut of them. They hide my love handles. Problem was, those juniors don't have much of a bust and one of the tops is a tight fit in the bust. After I lose the extra pounds, it will fit better. Old age creeps up, but I will fight the affects.

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@Soosie wrote:
Thanks. I know it is going to be hard, but I want to continue to stay healthy. I have a good job and want to keep it as long as possible, I was way past retirement age when they called me for this job. I am sure I will be getting back to you for advice ........probably the best way to stop the burn in the beginning.

@Soosie Awesome goals! And mega congrats on the job! 

We always say that anything worthwhile is hard, so hurrah for those challenging tasks! Here's a few things that help us recover from workouts:

Epsom salt baths to soothe a sore body.

Eat pineapple before and after a hard workout to break up lactic acid that inevitably accumulates in your muscles, causing fatigue and pain.

Eat a banana a day to replace potassium and to assist in sleep.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Also take rest days. One recumbent racer I know who is 70 swears by a 3 day rest between hard workouts. We're in our 50s and currently need 2 days between aggressive training sessions.

I wish you every success.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9
So it is possible to get back into shape. And while exercising is immensely rewarding, it will take a lot of dedication, so let me know if I can help spur you on in any way.

Thanks. I know it is going to be hard, but I want to continue to stay healthy. I have a good job and want to keep it as long as possible, I was way past retirement age when they called me for this job. I am sure I will be getting back to you for advice ........probably the best way to stop the burn in the beginning.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@Soosie wrote:
I can say with pride I finally took my out of shape self to join a 24 hour work out gym. The fact they are open round the clock is good for me. I want to lose the rest of the weight I gained with the low working thyroid. I have dieted and lost some, but seem to be at a set point. Another goal is for strength and balance. I enrolled today and meet with the trainer on Monday to set up my program.

Soosie

Woot woot! Good going!

I had gained 40 pounds a couple years back due to repeatedly injuring my legs (I'm a world class klutz). Menopause didn't help, that's for sure! But I'm happy to say that with increased exercise I've taken it all off. Every. Pound. 

So it is possible to get back into shape. And while exercising is immensely rewarding, it will take a lot of dedication, so let me know if I can help spur you on in any way. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9
I can say with pride I finally took my out of shape self to join a 24 hour work out gym. The fact they are open round the clock is good for me. I want to lose the rest of the weight I gained with the low working thyroid. I have dieted and lost some, but seem to be at a set point. Another goal is for strength and balance. I enrolled today and meet with the trainer on Monday to set up my program.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I'm doing a once-a-week boot camp class using a lot of plyometric. It's a killer!

I bet! (Good for you, though)

I haven't take up this particular type of strength training; it is doubtful I could get through one class without hurting myself. Smiley Happy Seriously. For now I think all the load bearing work I do related to the farm is enough. For now.

For others who might wonder what are plyometrics: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/05/21/beginners-guide-to-plyometrics/

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

I'm doing a once-a-week boot camp class using a lot of plyometric. It's a killer!

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Training Advice To Help Older Athletes Maintain Fitness

Message 9 of 9

It's Friday, and much of the nation is seeing sunny weather, (yay!) so ... for all you weekend warriors ... try to enjoy yourselves without hurting yourselves, ok?

Training Advice To Help Older Athletes Maintain Fitness
Specific exercise training information for older athletes

Older athletes have special exercise considerations due to the effects of aging on muscle and joint tissue, cardiovascular fitness, and other physical parameters. Use these training tactics to build and maintain your fitness as well as your ability to compete as you desire.

Training Tips for Older Athletes

Maintaining Speed as You Get Older
Slowing down seems synonymous with getting older, but you don't have to simply accept it. You can slow age-related declines in athletic speed with these training methods.

• Hill Running or Interval Training can condition both the aerobic and the anaerobic system which result in dramatic fitness improvements.

• Weight training can maintain muscle tone, strength and maintain fast twitch muscle fibers.

• Plyometric exercises increase power and strength

• Creatine supplementation may be helpful for improving performance during repetitive high power output exercise sessions.

Maintaining Endurance as You Age
The common fitness declines that occur with aging include changes in body composition with increased body fat and decreased muscle mass, loss of height (sometimes due to osteoporosis), diminished cardiorespiratory capacity and muscle atrophy. Despite these losses, there are examples of extraordinary physical feats of older athletes.

Older athletes are often able to compete in endurance exercise because they often have higher proportions of slow twitch fibers.

Additionally, it's estimated the much of the physical declines associated with aging aren't inevitable but is due to a detraining or deconditioning effect that comes from a decrease in exercise levels, frequency or intensity. Research has found that seniors make quick improvements when they start exercise.

From VeryWell, where you can read the rest of this piece and find other informative articles: http://www.verywell.com/advice-for-senior-athletes-3120500

Kudos
Views
Replies