ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Time Thinks There Are 24 Things on Restaurant Menus You Should Never Eat

Message 11 of 15

"...What do you avoid when eating out? (Me? I avoid eating out altogether, but I'm a certified weirdo health nut, so you'll have to make allowances for that....".

There is nothing we avoid, when eating out, as far as worrying about getting ill. I think the only times we've had some ill effects were in the early days when creamer was put out on the tables (not in the packets that don't need refrigeration), and being coffee drinkers, became ill from that.

But we just don't eat out much. When we travel, we usually stay in places with kitchens and cook for ourselves and when on the road, we usually 'picnic'.

I'm not sure we're 'weird', just not foodies. Food is fuel, restaurants do not have ambiance, and why pay a lot of money when you're hungry again in a couple of hours?

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 15

@HammH LOL! Sure. Foodie Senior Athlete Health Nuts Unite!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 15

I know we've chatted about this, but I want to put this here so others can consider it.

The way commercial kitchens are run the safest food items are deep fried foods (high heat cooking kills most pathogens). As we all know, those are not the best food items from a nutritional standpoint.

This is why, like you, I avoid eating out. But for the 12-15 times a year when I cannot avoid it, I end up eating deep fried appetizers. I figure the rare instances of eating deep fried foods is less of a risk to my highly active self than the risk of food borne illness from salad.

May I join your weirdo club?

Message 14 of 15

The author lists, among others, raw oysters, shark, sprouts (bacteria), bread with olive oil (way too many calories), water with lemon (bacteria), any entree over 700 calories ...

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Time Thinks There Are 24 Things on Restaurant Menus You Should Never Eat

Message 15 of 15

I think there are more like 2,400. But that's me. Smiley Happy

Time's piece: http://time.com/money/4952388/24-things-you-should-never-order-when-you-eat-out/

What do you avoid when eating out? (Me? I avoid eating out altogether, but I'm a certified weirdo health nut, so you'll have to make allowances for that. Smiley Happy)