ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Time Thinks There Are 24 Things on Restaurant Menus You Should Never Eat

Message 1 of 15

nyadrn wrote:

I do not have fitness goals except to maintain healthy weight and flexibility to enable me to walk about as much and whenever I want.  I am in good shape health wise.  Just had a series of check ups. No meds no issues and I would like to keep it that way.  

@nyadrn Rock on! That's an excellent goal. Congrats for not being on meds and for not having any issues. That's truly excellent work! Keep it up! Smiley Happy

I'm the same and maybe going overboard trying to keep it that way, but my DNA stinks to high heaven. Ev-er-y one of them is ill, all of them with multiple issues. I'm older now than Dad ever was. And his sister died of diabetes when I was in grade school. I'm on a mission to fall verrrrrry far from the tree. Smiley Happy Very very very far.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 15

Epster wrote:

@nyadrn  I don't know if it makes a bit of difference, though it might be good to note that I am now far less muscular than I used to be. We've purposefully reshaped my body. I lost plenty of fat, sure, but also slimmed down my thighs from speed skater-esque powerhouses to the longer, leaner muscles used in cycling. Same with my torso.

So you know, it all depends upon your goals. Mine is to see what is possible. How fast can I cycle? How much can I improve as a cyclist? Will less flab but a bit more, appropriate, muscle translate into a better power to weight ratio? Can I pedal more efficiently? And my current Senior Games mantra: how many of the men can I beat? Smiley Happy It's all about finding out what is inside of me. Smiley Happy

I do not have fitness goals except to maintain healthy weight and flexibility to enable me to walk about as much and whenever I want.  I am in good shape health wise.  Just had a series of check ups. No meds no issues and I would like to keep it that way.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 3 of 15

Epster wrote:

Patience and dedication to the goal has been working. One thing I did that kept me feeling good about progress was that I didn't start out saying I was going to lose 50 pounds. I told myself I'd take off 3. Then when I did that, I'd set a new goal of 3 more. And so on. 

It's been close to 3 years. Right now I'm 3 pounds from my goal. Hahaha! Smiley Happy

That is quite a story.  Congrats on all that you have accomplished and overcome.  Best wishes for your continuing success!

Message 4 of 15

@nyadrn  I don't know if it makes a bit of difference, though it might be good to note that I am now far less muscular than I used to be. We've purposefully reshaped my body. I lost plenty of fat, sure, but also slimmed down my thighs from speed skater-esque powerhouses to the longer, leaner muscles used in cycling. Same with my torso.

So you know, it all depends upon your goals. Mine is to see what is possible. How fast can I cycle? How much can I improve as a cyclist? Will less flab but a bit more, appropriate, muscle translate into a better power to weight ratio? Can I pedal more efficiently? And my current Senior Games mantra: how many of the men can I beat? Smiley Happy It's all about finding out what is inside of me. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 5 of 15

@nyadrn Food Safety Mgr is the lowest level of certification one needs to work in a commercial kitchen. I needed one while I was catering and then when making and selling certain value added farm goods. (honey, fruit butters, the like).

In some ways it's a bummer to be sensitive to food additives. Makes it hard to get a real day off, you know what I mean? But the results, I tell myself, so ... blah blah blah. 

I have all manner of electric appliances, and carefully plan our away menu. Then I travel with a 'pantry' and a cooler, even a table sometimes, depending on available accommodations. It's maybe a bit insane. Certainly takes commitment. (So far not the rubber suit type... ahem.)

My commitment to regaining my physcial conditioning came about through the perfect storm of menopause, repeated athletic injury forcing a change of sport, a bout of near-clinical depression (I really loved my former sport!) and a dream that I was falling off the health cliff. About in that order.

I was a mess. During this time I swear I was able to gain weight if a food truck drove by. Ugh and major ugh! I was the heaviest I'd ever been and was beginning to feel the consequences in terms of getting out of breath easier, not being able to work as hard, jowls, that sort of thing. While my vitals were still good, I felt I was on the bitter edge of health collapse, and didn't want to end up like the rest of my DNA set with multiple 'lifestyle' diseases and limited mobility, so forced myself to get moving, and then (slowly at first) forced myself to move longer, faster, blah di blah until finally my metabolism sped up, at which point conditioning advances became far easier. 

Patience and dedication to the goal has been working. One thing I did that kept me feeling good about progress was that I didn't start out saying I was going to lose 50 pounds. I told myself I'd take off 3. Then when I did that, I'd set a new goal of 3 more. And so on. 

It's been close to 3 years. Right now I'm 3 pounds from my goal. Hahaha! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 15

Epster wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

>>I think this is absolutely true!  I suspect the high use of commercially processed foods (not to mention low grade oils) used in commercial kitchens makes us ill in large part because we simply do not eat like that at home. The restaurants that we successfully eat at use a prodigious amount of fresh ingredients. An aside: last time I had my food safety manager certificate renewed, the curriculum showed that the USDA now basically pushes restaurants into using ready-to-heat fare rather than fresh.

Right now the bulk of our travel is to Senior Games competitons. We cannot afford to get sick before a race, so we travel with a kitchen and avoid social eating until after our events. Once we are traveling in an RV and I'm no longer cooking in a hotel room, watch, I'll start catering team meals, LOL. 

Actually yes I do believe it is true.. but then I dont have to worry about making it to a competition, I just have to make it to my desk each day : )   

So what is a "safety manager certificate"?  and how do you travel with a kitchen?  It is apparent that you are very serious about your compitions as no doubt you should be.  What got you started?

Message 7 of 15

nyadrn wrote:

Epster wrote:

@nyadrn @retiredtraveler You guys are lucky. DH and I get sick just about any time we eat at a restaurant other than the few we've vetted carefully (a local creole place, Chipotle, a local Thai place). Otherwise we pay with digestive issues. We ate at the Italian place the local C of C recommended while at the Nebraska Senior Games and had issues for days. We don't even eat out once a month.

But then we really are food snobs. At least we know it. Smiley Happy

I have eaten street food from New York to New Orleans. You have to build up a tolerance. Ha 

I think this is absolutely true!  I suspect the high use of commercially processed foods (not to mention low grade oils) used in commercial kitchens makes us ill in large part because we simply do not eat like that at home. The restaurants that we successfully eat at use a prodigious amount of fresh ingredients. An aside: last time I had my food safety manager certificate renewed, the curriculum showed that the USDA now basically pushes restaurants into using ready-to-heat fare rather than fresh.

Right now the bulk of our travel is to Senior Games competitons. We cannot afford to get sick before a race, so we travel with a kitchen and avoid social eating until after our events. Once we are traveling in an RV and I'm no longer cooking in a hotel room, watch, I'll start catering team meals, LOL.

Message 8 of 15

Epster wrote:

@nyadrn @retiredtraveler You guys are lucky. DH and I get sick just about any time we eat at a restaurant other than the few we've vetted carefully (a local creole place, Chipotle, a local Thai place). Otherwise we pay with digestive issues. We ate at the Italian place the local C of C recommended while at the Nebraska Senior Games and had issues for days. We don't even eat out once a month.

I have eaten street food from New York to New Orleans. You have to build up a tolerance. Ha 

Message 9 of 15

Message 10 of 15

retiredtraveler wrote:

>>   But we just don't eat out much. When we travel, we usually stay in places with kitchens and cook for ourselves and when on the road, we usually 'picnic'.

I'm not sure we're 'weird', just not foodies. Food is fuel, restaurants do not have ambiance, and why pay a lot of money when you're hungry again in a couple of hours?

That is interesting.  We too usually stay condo's or places where we can cook but  we always try a local restaurant to see what their favs are esp if it is in an area different from ours.  New Orleans for instance has a wonderful selection of restaurants and I cannot imagine not wanting to sample the food that you will not find anywhere else including the local ingredients.  I don't worry much about the food safety and in all my years have maybe one occasion where something was not right.  So then that is why we have to get out and see what is going on to exercise off those pounds.