Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 61 of 91

This article names a "dirty" dozen and then admits that not one rises to the level of dangerous pesticide content after washing. Oh. Never mind... Please, AARP, do not waste my time with hysterical claims that you then dismiss in the very same article.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 62 of 91

I have gone by this list for years. I use it to choose what I want to buy from the organic section.

Info Seeker

Message 63 of 91

I am sorry but if you listen to scientest, self appointed experts and others you would eat, drink or use nothing. While I understand the concern, remember DDT, I do not see the need for hysteria that some want to cause by making outlandish claims.

I buy whatever fruit I want wash it and go on. People who are currently in their late 80" and 90" were never concerned about organic products and seem to be living a very long and happy life.

Conversationalist

Message 64 of 91

I sent my career at EPA/Pesticides and know the careful robust science assessments for decisions to ensure the proper uses of pesticides will protect public health and environment. EWG's annual list  is not relevant to safety. As the article says the amounts of pesticides on these and other crops are well below safe levels (usually parts per billion or near zero).

Info Seeker

Message 65 of 91

The Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen lists have been influencing my purchasing decisions for several years. I print out the lists each year and post them on my fridge. Considering the costs of health care, the added cost of buying organic produce as a preventive measure seems well worth it--but I only buy organic for those in the Dirty Dozen. And yes, I wash fruits and vegetables before eating, cooking or serving them, but you can't see pesticides on produce, so how can you tell if you succeeded in washing them off?

Info Seeker

Message 66 of 91

I'll buy organic when I can but the price differential is often 40-60% or more.  The loss from peeling an apple is less, and as a disabled retiree?  I have the time.

Since many of these fruit are waxed/oiled, you can't "wash" the residue off with a simple water rinse -- you really should mention this.  And the pesticides are designed not to wash off with water, or else the farmers would have to re-apply after every heavy dew or rain shower.  So peeling an apple is really the only safe way to avoid exposure.

Even with organic fruit and veggies they should be washed.  Organic methods allow chemicals you wouldn't care to ingest, and farm workers aren't required to, or allowed access to, the kind of hygeine in handling your food that a supermarket or restaurant worker is trained to and obliged to use.  I grew up in a rural state, I know whereof I speak.  

I have an auto-immune syndrome, and I just try to keep aware of my risks, lol.

Info Seeker

Message 67 of 91

No, this won't change my mind about eatings these items. It's called "wash before you eat." We don't use pesticides in our garden, but it's probably safe to assume most store bought fruits and vegetables should be washed well before using them. Common sense. Not anything new.

Info Seeker

Message 68 of 91

Another AARP  "Scare-um" Report.  Why don't you STOP publishing these things that have more

Scare" features than "Care" features? This article goes on to say that it IS ok to eat

strawberries  and the other fruits/veggies. But you won't find that out unless you read to

the very end.  I have been eating these things for over 80 years. It is more benificial to do so than not.

This is old person appreciates  more happy and uplifting news. I bet a lot

of "four score members" would agree.

Info Seeker

Message 69 of 91

NO, everything is dirty, the air is not clean and the same rain falls on organic food as well as non organic food.  Nothing we can do, MONSANTO rules the agricultural world.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 70 of 91

I certainly don't know how many different varieties of apples there are, but I've learned a lot in the last year.  I now work for a Walmart Neighborhood Market and it certainly appears to me that they must deal with huge cooperatives that have many small farmers on their rolls.  Even the same variety, say Gala, is always slightly different.  I'm thinking many farmers may grow authentic Galas but in a wide range of areas, different climates, different soils, different growing techniques.  And we're always getting something new and different.  We'll get something totally different but only in one big shipment, then never again.  I like that, but I'm thinking Walmart put a lot of pressure on farmers as to pricing.  It's hard for farmers to survive without using pesticides in the current climate of business, but getting a wide variety could be a very good thing, in that it is not always the same grower, the same pesticide, the same apple.  One thing is for sure, the peaches we've been getting for the past month or so from California are some of the best peaches I've eaten in quite a few years and everyone else buying them seems to feel the same.  Hopefully we can get this turned around and get more small farms to growing more variety without harsh chemicals and pesticides create more co-ops, keeping things more local.