Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 61 of 86 (595 Views)

I'll buy organic when I can but the price differential is often 40-60% or more.  The loss from peeling an apple is less, and as a disabled retiree?  I have the time.

Since many of these fruit are waxed/oiled, you can't "wash" the residue off with a simple water rinse -- you really should mention this.  And the pesticides are designed not to wash off with water, or else the farmers would have to re-apply after every heavy dew or rain shower.  So peeling an apple is really the only safe way to avoid exposure.

Even with organic fruit and veggies they should be washed.  Organic methods allow chemicals you wouldn't care to ingest, and farm workers aren't required to, or allowed access to, the kind of hygeine in handling your food that a supermarket or restaurant worker is trained to and obliged to use.  I grew up in a rural state, I know whereof I speak.  

I have an auto-immune syndrome, and I just try to keep aware of my risks, lol.

Info Seeker

Message 62 of 86 (534 Views)

No, this won't change my mind about eatings these items. It's called "wash before you eat." We don't use pesticides in our garden, but it's probably safe to assume most store bought fruits and vegetables should be washed well before using them. Common sense. Not anything new.

Info Seeker

Message 63 of 86 (572 Views)

Another AARP  "Scare-um" Report.  Why don't you STOP publishing these things that have more

Scare" features than "Care" features? This article goes on to say that it IS ok to eat

strawberries  and the other fruits/veggies. But you won't find that out unless you read to

the very end.  I have been eating these things for over 80 years. It is more benificial to do so than not.

This is old person appreciates  more happy and uplifting news. I bet a lot

of "four score members" would agree.

Info Seeker

Message 64 of 86 (741 Views)

NO, everything is dirty, the air is not clean and the same rain falls on organic food as well as non organic food.  Nothing we can do, MONSANTO rules the agricultural world.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 65 of 86 (750 Views)

I certainly don't know how many different varieties of apples there are, but I've learned a lot in the last year.  I now work for a Walmart Neighborhood Market and it certainly appears to me that they must deal with huge cooperatives that have many small farmers on their rolls.  Even the same variety, say Gala, is always slightly different.  I'm thinking many farmers may grow authentic Galas but in a wide range of areas, different climates, different soils, different growing techniques.  And we're always getting something new and different.  We'll get something totally different but only in one big shipment, then never again.  I like that, but I'm thinking Walmart put a lot of pressure on farmers as to pricing.  It's hard for farmers to survive without using pesticides in the current climate of business, but getting a wide variety could be a very good thing, in that it is not always the same grower, the same pesticide, the same apple.  One thing is for sure, the peaches we've been getting for the past month or so from California are some of the best peaches I've eaten in quite a few years and everyone else buying them seems to feel the same.  Hopefully we can get this turned around and get more small farms to growing more variety without harsh chemicals and pesticides create more co-ops, keeping things more local.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 66 of 86 (727 Views)

I'm certainly no expert and I seriously doubt that organic foods are 100% free from all pesticides.  However, it would be my belief that all the poisons sprayed on crops not only coats the outsides of the fruit but must also leach into the soil, thus get taken up by the root systems of all the plants.  If that is the case then merely peeling the fruit only gets rid of the surface poisons.  What happens to the genetic makeup of the fruits that are heavily sprayed?  I know there's little we can do other than cut the risk by eating only organic or growing it ourselves in a pesticide environment.  Personally, I've grown tremendous amounts of food most of my life and like my mom taught me, I never use any sort of pesticides.  But the pesticides are everywhere, in the water and in the air.  On strawberries, I work in a grocery and the level of mold on them and the delicacy of that fruit is appalling and I'm thinking it has something to do with the pesticides.  My mom was always a firm believer in soaking everything in a vinegar water solution and I've tended to go in that direction more and more.  She did it to get rid of parasites.  I'm thinking it might help with the residue.  Water alone will not wash off the oily poisons but I'm thinking the vinegar could possibly do somewhat better without it being some sort of "bad" solvent.  I have been peeling more fruits lately and growing more fruits myself.  

Info Seeker

Message 67 of 86 (1,265 Views)

Good comment about the FDA and the CDC.  Monsanto, in particular, has such a powerful lobby and seems to win every suit brought against it from farmers who have had "drift" on their crops and have been forced to use their seeds and Roundup spray.  Eat as much organic produce as you can, wash and peel as necessary.  Support local farmers. This is a problem that is not going to go away anytime soon because of BIG AG and its BIG MONEY.Take note: Drones are being developed that will spray downward, directly on crops, instead of spraying high up in a wide spray, which causes the wind to drift spray on organic farms.

Info Seeker

Message 68 of 86 (1,269 Views)

Back in the day when we thought we could save/change the world, we were very concerned about what Dow, Monsanto, etc., was selling farmers to spray on their crops. All were "wonder" solutions to disease and bugs. So, someone said just peel your vegies and fruits before cooking or eating, or both. Some said that's where all the vitamins/minerals are so don't peel. My logical brain told me that peeling was the only way (for me) to go and I did. I still peel. That can be time consuming, but well worth the effort. A friend told me she rinses all her fruit and vegetables in a solution of apple cider vinegar and water. I need to checkout the chemistry of that. The degreaser works, but then you have degreaser on your food. If you peel, you can then either feed your composting worms or your composting pile. Now that makes me wonder if the worms are affected by this. I'll have to check that out, too. Good conversation.

Info Seeker

Message 69 of 86 (1,306 Views)
Also Potatoes are really pesticide Contaminated!! I only BUY ORGANIC POTATOES!!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 70 of 86 (1,482 Views)

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It consists of the Office of the Commissioner and four directorates overseeing the core functions of the agency: Medical Products and Tobacco, Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, and Operations.

www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transparency/basics/ucm192695.htm