AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 51 of 91

This will not impact my eating these fruits. This is a anti-pesticide group and USDA uses the best science available. No evidence that this usual report from them need attention.

Tom

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 52 of 91

I've gardened my entire life, basically speaking.  The last time I used anything sounding like a poison of any kind was a tomato dust 40+ years ago.  However, I now work in the produce department of a major grocery chain.  Realizing how much fresh food is consumed on a daily basis in this country is impossible to even imagine.  We literally sell into the tons of veggies and fruits a day in one little store in one little town.  That being said, I really can't imagine large agro businesses not using poisons on some level, along with other methods like waxing.  If you think of the whole process from  the farmer getting his ground ready and planting all the way to harvesting, then the distribution network, the haulers, sorters, washers, the big rigs, the coolers, to the big warehouses, then to the smaller ones, then to the stores, then on the shelves.  It's almost inconceivable.  And it's basically all safe.  Maybe it's not the ideal, but how many things are?  If you want close to ideal, you either grow it yourself or you buy it at a higher price from someone specializing in higher quality.  That is out of the question for the masses.  That's just a fact of life.  So washing your fresh produce is of utmost importance, from seeing what I see.  Most of the fresh produce in super markets is not clean.  It may be safe by all measures, but it is probably not clean, which can mean anything.  At least wash with water anything you put in your mouth from the grocer.  There are things that are sealed and claim to have been washed.  They may very well have been, and I trust them.  I'm referring mainly to chopped salads and salad kits.  Of course washing will not remove any pesticide residues or waxes, but it does wash any regular debris from it, making it "cleaner."  Even the greens I grow I soak in a water vinegar solution for several minutes.  I know some things contain vitamins in the skins, but if those skins have been waxed, I peel them, along with many other things that haven't been waxed.  I doubt is the nutrition level in the peelings of most massed produced produce is worth the rick of injesting residual pesticide.  The think is, our bodies are magnificent machines capable of taking care of all the negatives of life, for most of us, for the most part.  Everyone has the right to make their own decision.  Sometimes some people only have one choice due to economics.  The more choices you have, the more you can guarantee yourself good healthy eating.  Grow something, something fresh and organic.  Get together with a few people and each grow something different and share.  Just be aware of alternatives and choices.  Cheap usually costs more in the long run, but sometimes that's your only avenue.  Stay as healthy as possible, because if you don't, older age can start to suck bad.  

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 91

This will not impact my eating habits. I have a hiatal hernia & silent GERD. Most fruits on the safe list are not recommended for people with GERD. Too acidic. I already don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, etc. I can't eliminate everything from my diet, so at this point it's pick your poison. Alcohol is a Class 1 carcinogen in the same category as cigarettes, but few seem to know that. I'll take my chances with grapes. 

Info Seeker

Message 54 of 91
Great point. The safest and most nutritious way is to grow your own or buy from a local farmer. Some argue that buying local may be better than buying corporate Organics.
Info Seeker

Message 55 of 91

AARPTeri wrote:

Have you seen the list of the dirtiest fruits and vegetables by the USDA?  What do you think, would this change your choices?

My grocery shopping has been guided by the dirty dozen and clean dozen/ now 15 lists for years. At this point, I also avoid ordering food in restaurants or bakeries that have produce on the dirty dozen list. It's expensive but not as expensive as cancer treatment.

Info Seeker

Message 56 of 91

Scientific American is a deservedly well-respected magazine.  Please read this article - it might help you reconsider your attitudes towards "organic" foods.  Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming

Info Seeker

Message 57 of 91

It's appalling that so many AARP readers are unaware of the scientific evidence showing how very dangerous agricultural poisons are to our health in so many ways.   If you are in your 80's, you lived half your life before most of them were invented and before they became a prime reason why America spends more than twice per capita on health care than any other nation, yet ranks only thirtieth among them in our health status.   AARP does a great public service in listing the ten best and worst produce items.  Apparently, that service needs to be extended by an article or sidebar linking to the many excellent sources on the internet of real education on why and how to protect your health from poisoned food.

Info Seeker

Message 58 of 91

Not likely my produce purchasing will change. However, it'd be nice if your story included tips on washing produce properly.

Info Seeker

Message 59 of 91

I just don't believe that any level of pesticides is safe. I have turned to organic fruits & veggies because they are safer although these days there is risk of drift even to those plants. Big Ag (corporate) farming is dangerous to us all and we would be safer to avoid it.

Info Seeker

Message 60 of 91

Pesticides have nothing to do with mold on strawberries. Strawberries carry a high mold count. That's why people who are supposed to be on a low yeast diet don't do strawberries. I have to agree with the above comment that all food is exposed to dangerous chemicals, especially after that Japanese nuclear power plant with kaput. It's depressing, but hey, that's life in the New Millennia. And just because the fruit or veg is on the happy list, it doesn't mean that it might have been handled properly. Better to grow it yourself or have a nearby, trustworthy friend do it for you.