Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 51 of 86 (170 Views)

Scientific American is a deservedly well-respected magazine.  Please read this article - it might help you reconsider your attitudes towards "organic" foods.  Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming

Info Seeker

Message 52 of 86 (436 Views)

It's appalling that so many AARP readers are unaware of the scientific evidence showing how very dangerous agricultural poisons are to our health in so many ways.   If you are in your 80's, you lived half your life before most of them were invented and before they became a prime reason why America spends more than twice per capita on health care than any other nation, yet ranks only thirtieth among them in our health status.   AARP does a great public service in listing the ten best and worst produce items.  Apparently, that service needs to be extended by an article or sidebar linking to the many excellent sources on the internet of real education on why and how to protect your health from poisoned food.

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 86 (462 Views)

Not likely my produce purchasing will change. However, it'd be nice if your story included tips on washing produce properly.

Info Seeker

Message 54 of 86 (495 Views)

I just don't believe that any level of pesticides is safe. I have turned to organic fruits & veggies because they are safer although these days there is risk of drift even to those plants. Big Ag (corporate) farming is dangerous to us all and we would be safer to avoid it.

Info Seeker

Message 55 of 86 (494 Views)

Pesticides have nothing to do with mold on strawberries. Strawberries carry a high mold count. That's why people who are supposed to be on a low yeast diet don't do strawberries. I have to agree with the above comment that all food is exposed to dangerous chemicals, especially after that Japanese nuclear power plant with kaput. It's depressing, but hey, that's life in the New Millennia. And just because the fruit or veg is on the happy list, it doesn't mean that it might have been handled properly. Better to grow it yourself or have a nearby, trustworthy friend do it for you.

Info Seeker

Message 56 of 86 (467 Views)

This article names a "dirty" dozen and then admits that not one rises to the level of dangerous pesticide content after washing. Oh. Never mind... Please, AARP, do not waste my time with hysterical claims that you then dismiss in the very same article.

Info Seeker

Message 57 of 86 (497 Views)

I have gone by this list for years. I use it to choose what I want to buy from the organic section.

Info Seeker

Message 58 of 86 (504 Views)

I am sorry but if you listen to scientest, self appointed experts and others you would eat, drink or use nothing. While I understand the concern, remember DDT, I do not see the need for hysteria that some want to cause by making outlandish claims.

I buy whatever fruit I want wash it and go on. People who are currently in their late 80" and 90" were never concerned about organic products and seem to be living a very long and happy life.

Conversationalist

Message 59 of 86 (524 Views)

I sent my career at EPA/Pesticides and know the careful robust science assessments for decisions to ensure the proper uses of pesticides will protect public health and environment. EWG's annual list  is not relevant to safety. As the article says the amounts of pesticides on these and other crops are well below safe levels (usually parts per billion or near zero).

Info Seeker

Message 60 of 86 (577 Views)

The Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen lists have been influencing my purchasing decisions for several years. I print out the lists each year and post them on my fridge. Considering the costs of health care, the added cost of buying organic produce as a preventive measure seems well worth it--but I only buy organic for those in the Dirty Dozen. And yes, I wash fruits and vegetables before eating, cooking or serving them, but you can't see pesticides on produce, so how can you tell if you succeeded in washing them off?