How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 41 of 86 (739 Views)

I am pretty surprised by the first page of negative responses, all negative!

well any information from scientific statistics is worth a thought. 

The older you get, the higher your risks are for disease and mental illness. No one can be perfect but I want to be healthy as I possibly can, till the final adios!

so where possible I would adjust my choices, why not.

Info Seeker

Message 42 of 86 (692 Views)
No, won't change my choices. I just turned 80. If I don't have cancer by now, surely I have something that will eat it up.
Info Seeker

Message 43 of 86 (569 Views)

It is not likely that I will change my eating habits due to the dirty dozen list or the clean fifteen list because I really don't have a choice when it comes to this since I live in an assisted living facility where all my meals are provided for me.  I don't have the opportunity to pick and choose what I eat, but I don't eat very much fresh fruit here anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 86 (510 Views)

No, a list isn't going to change my buying habits. I only buy organic for the most part, for food, cleaning supplies and cosmetics. My favorite plumping list gloss has more chemicals than I can count but it makes my lips look awesome so I don't care. Life is like that. You make choices. I have GERD, fibromyalgia, and Chrohns. Havne't had a major flare up since I started drinking alchohol 3 years ago. My huband and I are into the craft cocktail movement and we have a drink every night. Doctors said it was totally off limits for me. They were wrong. Shocking that "experts" could be wrong. There is too much conflicting information about our food, water, "climate change" ( news flash, the climate has been changing for millenia), and the like, to stop eating any food because of a consumer group list (another news flash, everyone has an agenda). Pesticides suck. GMO products suck. Again, all in context. If you're living in a wasteland in Africa and you can eat GMO corn or starve, well, pestices and GMO food not so bad.  Someone commented that clean food is too expensive for the masses. Really, I pay a lot less at the farmer's market for organic than I do at the supermarket for non organic. Something the evil list also doesnt address is quantity. Are you eating 5 strawberries or 50? Sit in traffic behind a bus for 5 minutes and you just took more carcinogens into your body than you got in your slice of strawberry cheesecake. There are just so many other things in this world to worry about or problems to fix than worrying about what fruits to eat. My daughter's friend died in her sleep last week at the age of 16. No apparent reason. Perspective people. Go drop a couple of strawberries into a glass of champagne and enjoy your life.

Info Seeker

Message 45 of 86 (554 Views)

No, the list will not change my eating and buying habits. This shallow article is very much like many other articles these days and has little value. Organizations hire "content providers" to write "expert articles for the common reader" and are told to use "keywords" and base their words of wisdom on spoonfed research done by the "project manager" of the company who heads the "content research department." They are paid low fees and produce as many articles as they can get. I should know, I have done such work (though not for AARP). 

Organic growers cannot guarantee nontoxic fruit. Do you really think you can stop toxins from traveling by air and soil from the nonorganic fields adjacent to the organic fields? Local markets are indeed wonderful, but not because they are cleaner. They are simply fresher and therefore, tastier.

Wash your fruit and hope for the best, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy. Just don't be naive. 

Info Seeker

Message 46 of 86 (502 Views)

This will not impact my eating these fruits. This is a anti-pesticide group and USDA uses the best science available. No evidence that this usual report from them need attention.

Tom

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 47 of 86 (491 Views)

I've gardened my entire life, basically speaking.  The last time I used anything sounding like a poison of any kind was a tomato dust 40+ years ago.  However, I now work in the produce department of a major grocery chain.  Realizing how much fresh food is consumed on a daily basis in this country is impossible to even imagine.  We literally sell into the tons of veggies and fruits a day in one little store in one little town.  That being said, I really can't imagine large agro businesses not using poisons on some level, along with other methods like waxing.  If you think of the whole process from  the farmer getting his ground ready and planting all the way to harvesting, then the distribution network, the haulers, sorters, washers, the big rigs, the coolers, to the big warehouses, then to the smaller ones, then to the stores, then on the shelves.  It's almost inconceivable.  And it's basically all safe.  Maybe it's not the ideal, but how many things are?  If you want close to ideal, you either grow it yourself or you buy it at a higher price from someone specializing in higher quality.  That is out of the question for the masses.  That's just a fact of life.  So washing your fresh produce is of utmost importance, from seeing what I see.  Most of the fresh produce in super markets is not clean.  It may be safe by all measures, but it is probably not clean, which can mean anything.  At least wash with water anything you put in your mouth from the grocer.  There are things that are sealed and claim to have been washed.  They may very well have been, and I trust them.  I'm referring mainly to chopped salads and salad kits.  Of course washing will not remove any pesticide residues or waxes, but it does wash any regular debris from it, making it "cleaner."  Even the greens I grow I soak in a water vinegar solution for several minutes.  I know some things contain vitamins in the skins, but if those skins have been waxed, I peel them, along with many other things that haven't been waxed.  I doubt is the nutrition level in the peelings of most massed produced produce is worth the rick of injesting residual pesticide.  The think is, our bodies are magnificent machines capable of taking care of all the negatives of life, for most of us, for the most part.  Everyone has the right to make their own decision.  Sometimes some people only have one choice due to economics.  The more choices you have, the more you can guarantee yourself good healthy eating.  Grow something, something fresh and organic.  Get together with a few people and each grow something different and share.  Just be aware of alternatives and choices.  Cheap usually costs more in the long run, but sometimes that's your only avenue.  Stay as healthy as possible, because if you don't, older age can start to suck bad.  

Info Seeker

Message 48 of 86 (479 Views)

This will not impact my eating habits. I have a hiatal hernia & silent GERD. Most fruits on the safe list are not recommended for people with GERD. Too acidic. I already don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, etc. I can't eliminate everything from my diet, so at this point it's pick your poison. Alcohol is a Class 1 carcinogen in the same category as cigarettes, but few seem to know that. I'll take my chances with grapes. 

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 86 (447 Views)
Great point. The safest and most nutritious way is to grow your own or buy from a local farmer. Some argue that buying local may be better than buying corporate Organics.
Info Seeker

Message 50 of 86 (390 Views)

AARPTeri wrote:

Have you seen the list of the dirtiest fruits and vegetables by the USDA?  What do you think, would this change your choices?

My grocery shopping has been guided by the dirty dozen and clean dozen/ now 15 lists for years. At this point, I also avoid ordering food in restaurants or bakeries that have produce on the dirty dozen list. It's expensive but not as expensive as cancer treatment.