AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 41 of 91

I really don't know how to tell if you've washed the pesticide residue off your veggies and fruits.  I don't know if that's even possible without using some sort of solvent, which could be just as bad as the pesticides.  I did a fruit salad recently with about 8 different fruits.  I filled the sink with water and poured in some apple cider vinegar and let everything have a turn at soaking for at least 5 minutes.  I don't know if vinegar is close to a solvent but it is something more than plain water and it'll definitely get rid of any bacteria.  I still peeled the peaches and apples and mangoes.  Personally, I figure is crops are sprayed, at some point some of that poison is getting into the soil and thus is being taken up into the produce, so it can't be washed off.  That's just something we'll have to live with.  That's where organic makes the real difference I believe.  I've also used baking soda in water as a soak.  At the produce market I work at, we have something called a vegatable wash that we use when we're preparing fruit to be given out as samples.  So, there must be something out there that can be purchased that could be made to remove the pesticides.  I'm going to have to look into that and see what the ingredients are.  I've also been reading about hydrogen peroxide and how it is used for many things, including industrial cleaning of many things.  Food Grade 35% H2O2 is the only HP that is acceptable for internal use and then it needs to be diluted to 2% to 3% and can be added to water and used as a disinfectant.  I'm going to study that possiblility more also.  We all need to take personal responsibility and try to correct the problem as much as we possibly can, for in the long run it seems it would be well worth the effort and cost.  I would think that pesticide residues might build up over time in your system and your body being such a magnificent machine, could take years of abuse before showing up.  Possibly soaking in a lemon juice water solution would do the trick as lemons seem to have somewhat of a solvent property.  Maybe some combination of the above ingredients.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 42 of 91

No way will that misinformation change my choices!

I was expecting AARP to protect and inform seniors away from such nonsense. Instead they help spread misinformation that encourages seniors to buy more expensive food options. Many seniors have tight budgest this is just wrong.

The Environmental Working Group is well known to misrepresenting food risks. Here is just a few examples:

-https://www.acsh.org/news/2003/09/05/environmental-working-group-a-scare-a-day

-https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensavage/2017/03/14/is-conventional-produce-dirty-no-but-the-market...

-https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2017/03/15/environmental-working-groups-dirty-dozen-pesticide-foo...

In the U.S. our supermarket food is safe. Don’t let the EWG scare you.

Info Seeker

Message 43 of 91

I'm not changing, although I may eat less.  I grew up in New Orleans, LA drinking tap water that started in the Mississippi River close to the delta and teaming with gunk from far north on down.  If I ain't sick or dead yet from that I'll keep taking my chances.   I'm 64 and still kicking.

Thanks for the info.

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 91

Yup -- already did about 15 years ago.  Was tired of apples tasting like medicine, so I started buying organic produce and haven't stopped.  And I've never believed that organic is significantly more expensive, not when you weigh it against the cost of health care.  Sure, maybe I would have never experienced the damaging effects of eating pesticide residue, but why chance it?  It's not like I have another birthday suit at home hanging in the closet...!

And I agree with those who say we've been altering our food since we started walking on our hind legs, so GMO doesn't bother me.  I also deplore food fads, like gluten-free without having the medical condition that requires it.  I like Michael Pollan's approach: Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants. 

Info Seeker

Message 45 of 91

You are correct!! --and you hit the nail on the head!!! The anti GMO bands are a farce. Organisms have been changing since forever. The grains we eat, the grasses cattle eat, are not the same as were 5000/10000 years ago. One has to be prudent in the choices one makes. There are pesticides in the air we breathe, water we drink and the dirt we play in! If we were to avoid all of these, we would end up living in a bubble--REMEMBER POLIO? That is a disease caused by being so clean that the body cannot fight the germ. Albeit we found a cure. Next on the list is man-made climate change--If it weren't for Global Warming, we would be living in a swamp in the tropics and in the tundra above the Tropic of Cancer/ or below the Tropic of Capricorn!

Info Seeker

Message 46 of 91

I am pretty surprised by the first page of negative responses, all negative!

well any information from scientific statistics is worth a thought. 

The older you get, the higher your risks are for disease and mental illness. No one can be perfect but I want to be healthy as I possibly can, till the final adios!

so where possible I would adjust my choices, why not.

Info Seeker

Message 47 of 91
No, won't change my choices. I just turned 80. If I don't have cancer by now, surely I have something that will eat it up.
Info Seeker

Message 48 of 91

It is not likely that I will change my eating habits due to the dirty dozen list or the clean fifteen list because I really don't have a choice when it comes to this since I live in an assisted living facility where all my meals are provided for me.  I don't have the opportunity to pick and choose what I eat, but I don't eat very much fresh fruit here anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 91

No, a list isn't going to change my buying habits. I only buy organic for the most part, for food, cleaning supplies and cosmetics. My favorite plumping list gloss has more chemicals than I can count but it makes my lips look awesome so I don't care. Life is like that. You make choices. I have GERD, fibromyalgia, and Chrohns. Havne't had a major flare up since I started drinking alchohol 3 years ago. My huband and I are into the craft cocktail movement and we have a drink every night. Doctors said it was totally off limits for me. They were wrong. Shocking that "experts" could be wrong. There is too much conflicting information about our food, water, "climate change" ( news flash, the climate has been changing for millenia), and the like, to stop eating any food because of a consumer group list (another news flash, everyone has an agenda). Pesticides suck. GMO products suck. Again, all in context. If you're living in a wasteland in Africa and you can eat GMO corn or starve, well, pestices and GMO food not so bad.  Someone commented that clean food is too expensive for the masses. Really, I pay a lot less at the farmer's market for organic than I do at the supermarket for non organic. Something the evil list also doesnt address is quantity. Are you eating 5 strawberries or 50? Sit in traffic behind a bus for 5 minutes and you just took more carcinogens into your body than you got in your slice of strawberry cheesecake. There are just so many other things in this world to worry about or problems to fix than worrying about what fruits to eat. My daughter's friend died in her sleep last week at the age of 16. No apparent reason. Perspective people. Go drop a couple of strawberries into a glass of champagne and enjoy your life.

Info Seeker

Message 50 of 91

No, the list will not change my eating and buying habits. This shallow article is very much like many other articles these days and has little value. Organizations hire "content providers" to write "expert articles for the common reader" and are told to use "keywords" and base their words of wisdom on spoonfed research done by the "project manager" of the company who heads the "content research department." They are paid low fees and produce as many articles as they can get. I should know, I have done such work (though not for AARP). 

Organic growers cannot guarantee nontoxic fruit. Do you really think you can stop toxins from traveling by air and soil from the nonorganic fields adjacent to the organic fields? Local markets are indeed wonderful, but not because they are cleaner. They are simply fresher and therefore, tastier.

Wash your fruit and hope for the best, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy. Just don't be naive.