AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 31 of 86 (429 Views)

as a child of the 50s way before all the hoopla about pesticides and our food all kinds of chemicals were used during the growing process. anyone remember ddt , now that was some bad stuff and it was finally banned, my point is here i am at 66 and still doing fine.just use common sense and wash your fruits and veggies before you eat them . i eat everything listed on the bad food list for having a higher pestisticide level . i just take the precaution of washing thouroughly before eating them

Info Seeker

Message 32 of 86 (475 Views)

I agree with you although I started eating organic much sooner than you did.  And what people do not get is that organic tastes so much better.  My grandson would not eat strawberries .  I purchased a few plants for him and he was growing them in a window box that his father attached to his fence.  Naturally, he was going to taste one since he had cared for them.  Upon eating one he said Nanny, these taste so different.  I like these.  And I thought, of course you like them.  They'e not contaminated with foul-tasting pesticides.  And I find it the same with most produce.  

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 86 (537 Views)

Regarding the dirty dozen changing my eating preferences for fruits and vegetables?  Nope! Won't change a thing for us, mainly because we don't just "rinse" these lovely morsels with water when we get them home.   We thoroughly wash them with WHITE VINEGAR, as we do with all fruits and vegetables before we consume them for ourselves or served to many, many others over the years, with virtually no known or reported health consequences.  v/r   georgie davis, ft. washington, md

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 86 (527 Views)

A few points to consider:

Most pesticides, antifungals, and other chemical cocktails used to produce "pretty" produce are usually unwashable because they are not terribly soluable in water. Everyone thinks these chemicals are applied directly to product you eat. Not at all. Many are sprayed on plants way before any kind of flowers or fruiting bodies are developing, which means they are already in the plant itself. My father's side of the family were farmers. Back in the 1970s, I remember talking to my uncles about this "new" means of controlling pests, etc., they had invested in. This stuff was so toxic that you had to purchase additional equipment (of course!) where the neurotoxic pesticide was literally injected into the soil prior to planting because the aerosolized chemicals were that dangerous to Humans. I asked them whether or not it did not bother them to put them in harm's way of such a dangerous substance. Apparently, they were "assured" by the vendor that as long as they wore some kind of mask, they could not be harmed. (I think they used a wet rag, being good ol' Kansas boys who still remembered the Dust Bowl.) Fast-forward to nowadays. All of them are dead. The last one survived up to ten years ago. All died of non-Alzheimers, non-multi-infarct dementias. In other words, their brains were turned into oatmeal. Including my aunts. My cousins have children with more severe developmental disorders than the usual you hear about (autism, aspergers, ADHD, etc.). I know they had more contact to these pesticides (which have been taken off the market because of their severe toxicity), these chemicals still travel down the food chain and don't just magically disappear from the soil after a few years.

I am very pleased at those who support local organic produce resources. I've done enough organic gardening (reaching as far back as 1967 when there weren't any Whole Foods or Clark's... anywhere) to know that you aren't getting cosmetically pleasing fruits and vegetables. However, you are getting wonderful flavors from breeds that will never make it to the local stores. I never buys strawberries. Not because they are on the Dirty Dozen list. They are tasteless! Worthless! I had alpine strawberries providing erosion support when I was living in Alaska. I traded my excess for huckleberries from my neighbors across the street. And I greedily ate all the salmonberries on our bushes before my husband could get his hands on them. (Rare but probably the most beautiful and tasty raspberry-looking berry I have ever seen. The only fruit I have ever seen that mimics all the colors of the sunrise.)

As for the comment of those who are still living in their eighties right now, you are a very rare sliver of the pie chart. More than likely, you lucked out by accidentally minimizing exposure and having excellent genes promoting longevity. Good for you! But if you check the demographics right now, our personal life expectancies have DROPPED, the first time in... well, maybe ever. Google the dangers of microwaving food and a piece of research done in 1993 in Switzerland. This might be contributing to it. I'm still shocked at all the "healthy" people who have been watching their fats and exercising and doing all the right things having heart attacks in their latter 30s! And not necessarily because of some kind of familial cholesterol diseases.

Go figure.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 35 of 86 (571 Views)

I feel relatively confident in our scientific community and to be honest with yourself, surely you would have to say that ignoring any and all precautions about pesticides on your food would be foolish.  Remember, the body is a magnificent machine that can rejuvenate itself quite efficiently, for many years, all depending on your overall state of health.  I think they are giving us a worse case scenario and it is up to us to use their info and go from there.  As far as very old people, you surely realize that the first half of their life was probably spent eating mostly non poisoned food.  Like you said though, most of us have been eating fresh stuff for many years and only rinsing it off with straight water and most of us are still alive.  Some people are able and truly desire to take ever precaution they can as to what they injest and the scientists are giving them the info they're looking for.  Ultimately, each of us are responsible for own bodies and have the right to do as we please.  It's all something to certainly think about.  We all know that big businesses are in business for 1 sole reason and that is money, as much of it as possible at as little cost as possible and is poisons make for more beautiful produce at less cost, then that's the way it will be produced.  We all have a right to know what we're dealing with so we can make our own decision as to how to deal with it.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 36 of 86 (563 Views)

I really don't know how to tell if you've washed the pesticide residue off your veggies and fruits.  I don't know if that's even possible without using some sort of solvent, which could be just as bad as the pesticides.  I did a fruit salad recently with about 8 different fruits.  I filled the sink with water and poured in some apple cider vinegar and let everything have a turn at soaking for at least 5 minutes.  I don't know if vinegar is close to a solvent but it is something more than plain water and it'll definitely get rid of any bacteria.  I still peeled the peaches and apples and mangoes.  Personally, I figure is crops are sprayed, at some point some of that poison is getting into the soil and thus is being taken up into the produce, so it can't be washed off.  That's just something we'll have to live with.  That's where organic makes the real difference I believe.  I've also used baking soda in water as a soak.  At the produce market I work at, we have something called a vegatable wash that we use when we're preparing fruit to be given out as samples.  So, there must be something out there that can be purchased that could be made to remove the pesticides.  I'm going to have to look into that and see what the ingredients are.  I've also been reading about hydrogen peroxide and how it is used for many things, including industrial cleaning of many things.  Food Grade 35% H2O2 is the only HP that is acceptable for internal use and then it needs to be diluted to 2% to 3% and can be added to water and used as a disinfectant.  I'm going to study that possiblility more also.  We all need to take personal responsibility and try to correct the problem as much as we possibly can, for in the long run it seems it would be well worth the effort and cost.  I would think that pesticide residues might build up over time in your system and your body being such a magnificent machine, could take years of abuse before showing up.  Possibly soaking in a lemon juice water solution would do the trick as lemons seem to have somewhat of a solvent property.  Maybe some combination of the above ingredients.

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 86 (191 Views)

No way will that misinformation change my choices!

I was expecting AARP to protect and inform seniors away from such nonsense. Instead they help spread misinformation that encourages seniors to buy more expensive food options. Many seniors have tight budgest this is just wrong.

The Environmental Working Group is well known to misrepresenting food risks. Here is just a few examples:

-https://www.acsh.org/news/2003/09/05/environmental-working-group-a-scare-a-day

-https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensavage/2017/03/14/is-conventional-produce-dirty-no-but-the-market...

-https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2017/03/15/environmental-working-groups-dirty-dozen-pesticide-foo...

In the U.S. our supermarket food is safe. Don’t let the EWG scare you.

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 86 (615 Views)

I'm not changing, although I may eat less.  I grew up in New Orleans, LA drinking tap water that started in the Mississippi River close to the delta and teaming with gunk from far north on down.  If I ain't sick or dead yet from that I'll keep taking my chances.   I'm 64 and still kicking.

Thanks for the info.

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 86 (671 Views)

Yup -- already did about 15 years ago.  Was tired of apples tasting like medicine, so I started buying organic produce and haven't stopped.  And I've never believed that organic is significantly more expensive, not when you weigh it against the cost of health care.  Sure, maybe I would have never experienced the damaging effects of eating pesticide residue, but why chance it?  It's not like I have another birthday suit at home hanging in the closet...!

And I agree with those who say we've been altering our food since we started walking on our hind legs, so GMO doesn't bother me.  I also deplore food fads, like gluten-free without having the medical condition that requires it.  I like Michael Pollan's approach: Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants. 

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 86 (723 Views)

You are correct!! --and you hit the nail on the head!!! The anti GMO bands are a farce. Organisms have been changing since forever. The grains we eat, the grasses cattle eat, are not the same as were 5000/10000 years ago. One has to be prudent in the choices one makes. There are pesticides in the air we breathe, water we drink and the dirt we play in! If we were to avoid all of these, we would end up living in a bubble--REMEMBER POLIO? That is a disease caused by being so clean that the body cannot fight the germ. Albeit we found a cure. Next on the list is man-made climate change--If it weren't for Global Warming, we would be living in a swamp in the tropics and in the tundra above the Tropic of Cancer/ or below the Tropic of Capricorn!