Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 21 of 91

PPCorella wrote:

People who think organic and locally grown food is just a ruse to get you to pay more money obviously have never had a home-grown tomato, or fresh picked lettuce, or a cucumber.  People tell me they cannot eat cukes because it repeats on them.  And I tell them taste our garden fresh cucumber and tell me later if it repeats on you.  It never does!  I'll stick with my taste buds.  Every single organic fruit or veggie I have tased always tastes better than the conventional.  And let's not even go into milk.  I purchase grass-fed milk.  Wow, now there is a taste difference.  

I have to say that I recently had butter from a local farm that is local and organic and it tastes amazingly different than regular butter.  Even I could tell the difference. Also yes fresh garden tomatoes are a world different.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 22 of 91

I understand what you're saying.  First of all, I take responsibility for my own safety and well being.  We do live in the land of "Let the buyer beware."  That goes for independent groups, non-profits, corporatiions and government agencies.  My belief is that whenever any considerable amount of money is involved, whether it's donations, earnings, salaries and where politics, doctrines, isms, religions are involved, one ALWAYS has to look at all the information very closely and with a certain amount of skeptisism.  Education and knowledge is always in one's best interest, the more and the more diversified, the better.  Personally, I don't buy much organic, mainly because of finances.  At the same time, I have grown tremendous amounts of food in my life that I would consider about as organic and natural as it gets.  Everything in life is a give and take and if pesticides don't kill you, something else will.  I at least wash all fresh stuff I put in my mouth, even the stuff I grow, usually.  I do snap off asparagus stalks from my front yard and chew them down right there without washing.  Almost nothing attacks asparagus.  Many things I soak in a water vinegar solution.  But then again, when I drop food on the floor, it quickly enters my mouth.  We each have to decide what's best for ourselves in our own mind.

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 91

People who think organic and locally grown food is just a ruse to get you to pay more money obviously have never had a home-grown tomato, or fresh picked lettuce, or a cucumber.  People tell me they cannot eat cukes because it repeats on them.  And I tell them taste our garden fresh cucumber and tell me later if it repeats on you.  It never does!  I'll stick with my taste buds.  Every single organic fruit or veggie I have tased always tastes better than the conventional.  And let's not even go into milk.  I purchase grass-fed milk.  Wow, now there is a taste difference.  

Conversationalist

Message 24 of 91

The Environmental Working Groups is run by and funded by a bunch of activits who specialize in scare tatics.

I guess that that leaves us with pick your poision. Neither group is a "disinterested" source. But at least Safe Food and Veggies is up front about what the USDA standards (a disinterested source) are and compare the data on pestiside residue to those standards. The EWG just leaves you in the dark.

I'll take transparancy over a hidden agenda any time.

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/113-environmental-working-group/

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 91

Hmm..the sources that you cite are pro-industry, Monsanto-funded groups.  It comes down to who do you WANT to believe?  Me, I'll go with my gut (pun intended) and my taste buds -- my locally grown organic fruits and vegetables that I purchase in season just simply taste better.  Droppin' the mic...

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 91

Our family looks for the updated EWG "Dirty" & "Clean 15" every year.  We are grounded in science and want this kind of evidence based information. It  helps us target just where we will invest in the more expensive organic options and where we can most wisely and safely save on non-organic choices.

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 91

The form you attached for Alliance for Food and Farming is TOTALLY unrelated to the non-profit organization Environmental Working Group that complies the Clean 15 and the Dirty Dozen.

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 91

The "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" are an annual product put out by the "Environmental Working Group". EWG is a non-profit, non-partisan org dedicated to protecting the environment and human health. They provide this kind of info on everything from produce to cosmetics to household cleaners and most recently public water districts and water quality.

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 91

The "Dirty Dizen" and "Clean 15" are an annual product put out by the "Environmental Working Group". EWG is a non-profit, non-partisan or dedicated to protecting the environment and human health. They provide this kind of info on everything from produce to cosmetics to household cleaners and most recently public water districts and water quality.

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 91

The site

http://safefruitsandveggies.com/sites/default/files/AFF%202016%20CA%20Tax%20Return.pdf

is a 501[c][5] lobbying PAC of a bunch of agribusiness interests, and this is their tax return.

They are entirely supported by big corporate agribusiness interests.  Please try again for a source of disinterested pesticide exposure information.