Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

[ Edited ]
Message 21 of 86 (998 Views)

Our family looks for the updated EWG "Dirty" & "Clean 15" every year.  We are grounded in science and want this kind of evidence based information. It  helps us target just where we will invest in the more expensive organic options and where we can most wisely and safely save on non-organic choices.

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 86 (622 Views)

The form you attached for Alliance for Food and Farming is TOTALLY unrelated to the non-profit organization Environmental Working Group that complies the Clean 15 and the Dirty Dozen.

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 86 (581 Views)

The "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" are an annual product put out by the "Environmental Working Group". EWG is a non-profit, non-partisan org dedicated to protecting the environment and human health. They provide this kind of info on everything from produce to cosmetics to household cleaners and most recently public water districts and water quality.

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 86 (510 Views)

The "Dirty Dizen" and "Clean 15" are an annual product put out by the "Environmental Working Group". EWG is a non-profit, non-partisan or dedicated to protecting the environment and human health. They provide this kind of info on everything from produce to cosmetics to household cleaners and most recently public water districts and water quality.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 86 (504 Views)

The site

http://safefruitsandveggies.com/sites/default/files/AFF%202016%20CA%20Tax%20Return.pdf

is a 501[c][5] lobbying PAC of a bunch of agribusiness interests, and this is their tax return.

They are entirely supported by big corporate agribusiness interests.  Please try again for a source of disinterested pesticide exposure information.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 26 of 86 (521 Views)

Just who exactly is it that proclaims it's all safe and nutritous?  Who are their bosses and who pays their salaries?  Of course all information needs to be taken with a grain of salt and studied and looked into.  The first thing to always look into is where the money trail leads to.  Every "believer" and every "nonbeliever" that is professing something as part of their job should be eyed with a certain bit of scepticism.  To try to profess that all pesticides on all of our food is safe beyond question is a downright lie.  We all know there are many people that believe that if a little works pretty good, more will always work that much better, which is absolutely false.  I would much rather have fresh produce with no residues of any kind on them than otherwise, no matter how safe it is proclaimed to be.  People need to learn to wash their veggies and fruit and the fact of the matter is, many people do not even rinse a lot of fresh produce.  If putting a little scare in them gets them to at least wash their food before putting it in their mouth, they've succeeded.   Many of the food related illnesses we've been hearing about over the past few years are a direct result of contaminated food not being washed to an acceptable degree.  Big Ag virtually has to use pesticides and waxes.  The demand for fresh is almost incomprehensable.  There's no way around it.  Each individual has the right to grow their own food if they choose, but that is highly impractical for the masses.  The real problem is that big ag business has stymied smaller operations with the ability to produce more nutritious food.  When vast amounts of money are involved, one better be careful what they put into their mouth.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 27 of 86 (501 Views)

ahhh, but how much better you might feel later on and how many more years you may live if not for those residues winding up in your body.  I too was a child in the 50s.  The body is a magnificent machine that can take a lot of abuse for many years.  We've all seen cig smokers that are 100.  The thing is, it pays to stay informed and make changes along the way whenever possible if it seems in your best interest.  I did many "stupid" things over many years and survived just fine.  That doesn't mean I could continue down those same paths and expect to do fine.  One can always do better for themselves, or not.  They used to burn cane behind our house in the 50s.  We only had an attic fan and left our windows open at night, in the very deep south.  Every morning there'd be soot, ashes and burnt cane on our window sills and obviously in our lungs.  I survived.  Of course I had asthma till I finally moved away when I went into the army and have had sleep apnea for the past 20 years.  Maybe the burning cane had something to do with that.  Maybe not.  Just glad all the cane fields close by are gone now.  Little things to add up usually, even if it takes 50 or 80 years.  Why suffer any more than necessary?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 28 of 86 (502 Views)

hahaha.  I don't know if you were talking to me, but if you were, you must be old.  I can remember back to about 1954 eating a tomato my mom grew and how good it was.  She never used any kind of pesticides and washed everything in vinegar water.  Organic and homegrown always taste so much better.  Most people wouldn't believe how much.  I grew my first bananas last year, some kind of short fat sweet little babies.  I've never eaten bananas in my whole life that could compare to those, not even close, and I eat a lot of bananas.  I quit eating raw tomatoes for the most part about 20 years ago because of gout and never had a flare up till last year when I had some growing right out my front door.  I couldn't help myself.  They were some of the best cherry tomatoes I've ever eaten and I was eating about 3 or 4 every single morning for a month and WHAM!!!!  My feet like to have blown off.  I quit immediately and it all went away in a couple of days.  I've grown food my whole life, sometimes way more than other times, but always something.  Lately I've been growing lots of different varieties of lettuce, kale, arugula, all kinds of greens and I can tell you, they're outrageous.  You can't buy that kind of food in a store.  Grow it, pick it, wash it and eat it.  My plum tree just started bearing this past year and I can't remember a plum being so good since I was a kid.  I truly believe that pesticides cause fresh produce to go bad much faster than organically grown stuff.  We get stuff in at our produce dept. that comes in covered in mold sometimes.  Strawberries really are the worst.  Sometimes they'll be beautiful and look like they were picked at the right time and they'll last a long time.  Other times they'll come in and within a day or two they start deteriorating badly and just look weird.  Raspberries are even worse I think.  They're so soft and delicate to begin with.

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 86 (488 Views)

First the USDA doesn’t put out a “dirty” list. The EWG publishes that misleading characterization. AARP would better serve seniors on warning them away from the EWG. They prey on people’s fears and steer them toward more expensive options. Many seniors are on tight budgets.  AARP should be looking out for us, not spreading such information.

The next time EWG publishes their fear-mongering you could counter with the Pesticide Residue Calculator.

Here is an example for strawberries:

>>A child could consume 181 servings of Strawberries in one day
without any effect even if the Strawberries have the highest pesticide residue recorded for Strawberries by USDA.<<

From the calculator page:

>>Health experts and scientists say produce, grown either conventionally or organically, is safe to eat for you and your children. Not only are conventionally and organically grown fruits and vegetables safe and nutritious, Americans should be consuming more of these, not less, if they hope to reduce their risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.<<

http://safefruitsandveggies.com/pesticide-calculator

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 30 of 86 (476 Views)

You're one of the intelligent ones, but most people might do a quick rinse and figure that's good.  I've done it.  I'm like you for the most part though, water with vinegar added and soak.  I work in a produce dept. and I see people all the time take a small fruit and just pop it in their mouth.  That's just stupid.  We get food in sometimes and right off the truck some of it is covered in mold.  Sometimes we rinse some things and you can see the dirty water flow off.  Everyone needs to assume fresh produce is dirty.  Like you, I'm figuring vinegar has the ability to wash away any type of residues, including pesticide, and if not totally, at least it'll reduce it or possibly neutralize it to some extent.  The thing is, even if you don't see any ill effects, that really does mean nothing.  It's the cumulative effects that build up over decades that have the potential of finally showing up.  Our miraculous bodies can take care of a lot of stuff for a very long time before being adversely affected.  Just saying.  And I know, something is going to kill us anyway.