Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 11 of 86 (5,486 Views)

I will definitely change the fruits I buy based on this report.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 86 (1,572 Views)

I have been buying more and more organic products for the past few months, and always for the the items concidered the the dirty dozen.  I believe strawberries that are not organic or grown yourself are like just taking poison.  My mom was an extreamly healthy 84 year old active women, she has always eaten well and eaten an abundance of strawberries throughout her life.  She now has pancreatic cancer and I believe there is a correlation between the two.   So in regards to changing my choices for me and my family YES!  

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 86 (1,619 Views)

You got that right.  Personally, sweet peppers are some of my favorites.  I've grown dozens of different varieties and there is nothing like picking a beautiful bright red pepper and devouring it right there on the spot.  You can't buy that in any store.  Time is of essence.  The sooner after picking you can eat it, the better it's going to taste and the nutritional value is probably also at its highest.  Growing ain't all that easy, but the reward is more than worth it.  Since I started growing asparagus a few years back, I have to say, that is so good to snap a stalk off and put it in your mouth like you'd be putting a tree limb in a shredder.  

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 86 (1,171 Views)

I agree with locally grown. I love my local Farmer’s Market. But for me it is freshness that has the most impact not how it is grown. Same for home grown. That fresh out of your own garden is hard to beat and the taste is fantastic.

The big business agriculture that fills our supermarkets with organic and convention produce are pretty much the same. The science is clear that on both safety and nutrition the difference if any, are negligible.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 86 (1,169 Views)

jc137594 wrote:

I understand what you're saying.  First of all, I take responsibility for my own safety and well being.  We do live in the land of "Let the buyer beware."  That goes for independent groups, non-profits, corporatiions and government agencies.  My belief is that whenever any considerable amount of money is involved, whether it's donations, earnings, salaries and where politics, doctrines, isms, religions are involved, one ALWAYS has to look at all the information very closely and with a certain amount of skeptisism.  Education and knowledge is always in one's best interest, the more and the more diversified, the better. >>

This is definiately true..  everyone should read and research themselves.. it is hard to find a  neutral source.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 86 (1,164 Views)

PPCorella wrote:

People who think organic and locally grown food is just a ruse to get you to pay more money obviously have never had a home-grown tomato, or fresh picked lettuce, or a cucumber.  People tell me they cannot eat cukes because it repeats on them.  And I tell them taste our garden fresh cucumber and tell me later if it repeats on you.  It never does!  I'll stick with my taste buds.  Every single organic fruit or veggie I have tased always tastes better than the conventional.  And let's not even go into milk.  I purchase grass-fed milk.  Wow, now there is a taste difference.  

I have to say that I recently had butter from a local farm that is local and organic and it tastes amazingly different than regular butter.  Even I could tell the difference. Also yes fresh garden tomatoes are a world different.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 17 of 86 (1,159 Views)

I understand what you're saying.  First of all, I take responsibility for my own safety and well being.  We do live in the land of "Let the buyer beware."  That goes for independent groups, non-profits, corporatiions and government agencies.  My belief is that whenever any considerable amount of money is involved, whether it's donations, earnings, salaries and where politics, doctrines, isms, religions are involved, one ALWAYS has to look at all the information very closely and with a certain amount of skeptisism.  Education and knowledge is always in one's best interest, the more and the more diversified, the better.  Personally, I don't buy much organic, mainly because of finances.  At the same time, I have grown tremendous amounts of food in my life that I would consider about as organic and natural as it gets.  Everything in life is a give and take and if pesticides don't kill you, something else will.  I at least wash all fresh stuff I put in my mouth, even the stuff I grow, usually.  I do snap off asparagus stalks from my front yard and chew them down right there without washing.  Almost nothing attacks asparagus.  Many things I soak in a water vinegar solution.  But then again, when I drop food on the floor, it quickly enters my mouth.  We each have to decide what's best for ourselves in our own mind.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 86 (1,168 Views)

People who think organic and locally grown food is just a ruse to get you to pay more money obviously have never had a home-grown tomato, or fresh picked lettuce, or a cucumber.  People tell me they cannot eat cukes because it repeats on them.  And I tell them taste our garden fresh cucumber and tell me later if it repeats on you.  It never does!  I'll stick with my taste buds.  Every single organic fruit or veggie I have tased always tastes better than the conventional.  And let's not even go into milk.  I purchase grass-fed milk.  Wow, now there is a taste difference.  

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 86 (1,157 Views)

The Environmental Working Groups is run by and funded by a bunch of activits who specialize in scare tatics.

I guess that that leaves us with pick your poision. Neither group is a "disinterested" source. But at least Safe Food and Veggies is up front about what the USDA standards (a disinterested source) are and compare the data on pestiside residue to those standards. The EWG just leaves you in the dark.

I'll take transparancy over a hidden agenda any time.

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/113-environmental-working-group/

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 86 (1,176 Views)

Hmm..the sources that you cite are pro-industry, Monsanto-funded groups.  It comes down to who do you WANT to believe?  Me, I'll go with my gut (pun intended) and my taste buds -- my locally grown organic fruits and vegetables that I purchase in season just simply taste better.  Droppin' the mic...