Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led to Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 1 of 97
Most definitely yes. I have known about the dirty dozen for many years.
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 97

From my 40-year career experience in EPA's Pesticide Program, I disagree with your perspective of EPA being "excruciatingly slow to update regulations."  EPA was/is constantly updating scientific methods and policies to be consistent with current with the science community, works closely with that community in the US and other countries.  When credible new information becomes available on a broad science issue or a specific pesticide chemical EPA promptly initiated work to thoughtfully consider the information, consult with other agency and external experts.  Some new issues such as endocrine disruption did/do are extraordinarily  complex and take years to work through, but most others are dealt with quickly. Regarding new regulations, developing new regulations and putting them through required governmental and public review for reivew and comment is our democratic process which leads to better results. Can you provide one example of a pesticide chemical for which EPA did not act quickly when it became aware of new credible scientific information that when considered with all other available credible information would significanly increase the chemical's risks to humans or the environment?  Not in my experience.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 97

The EPA and the FDA are excruciatingly slow to update regulations regarding safe levels of toxins, not to mention the fact that review of previous “safe limits” are far to infrequent. I suggest that you look into the controversy over safe levels of exposure to lead to get a clearer picture. Additionally, even when they do get set to propose a stricter “safe limit,” they often encounter extreme pushback from both the industry and the lawmakers whose constituents will face a negative economic consequence as a result of implementation of the new standard.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 97

The "standards" EPA sets ("tolerances") for each pesticide and all of its proposed or approved uses are routinely reevaluated to ensure they accurately reflect all available (required and other) scientific studies and meet currently safety standards. The EPA scientists that evaluate the studies and make decisions are the same ones employed under previous administrations.  All standards are first proposed to industry, environmental orgs, academics and the public for review and comment.  EPA makes adjustments based on new credible information.  When EPA becomes aware of new credible information that suggests current standards are inadequate, EPA takes regulatory action to remove the pesticide use(s) or amend the requirements for legal use.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 97

Foxes in the henhouses! 

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 97

I'll say!

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 97

YES!! THEY TASTE MUCH BETTER! ESPECIALLY ORGANIC CHICKEN!

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 97

Keep in mind that the EPA standards being talked about have been in place for years. Under Obama and prior administrations. Your point is well made but not applicable to this years Dirty Dozen list.

Another thing to factor in is that EWG has been fear-mongering for years. Administrations come and gone but the one constant has been unfounded fears stoked by the EWG.     

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 97

Not only because they have no pesticides, but the taste is so much better.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 97

I believe Greatly in the DIRTY DOZEN! I'LL NEVER BUY POTATOES THAT AREN'T ORGANIC!  I ALSO BUY ORGANIC CHICKEN AND EGGS TOO!