ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: The Great Awakening: Cheryl Cherry, Breast Cancer Survivor and Senior Athlete

Message 1 of 3

Another fine example of how a person can go from flab to fabulous through exercise.

Note that she talks about how hard she works out. 

Note that she used the Senior Games as inspiration, as a goal to keep her moving through those tough moments.

Now note this: You don't have to aspire to compete. You don't have to race. You don't have to think of yourself as an athlete. But to go from flab to fabulous, you will need to get moving. Best wishes on your journey! I will cheer your every step. Smiley Happy

"All the standard disclaimers apply." --Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Re: The Great Awakening: Cheryl Cherry, Breast Cancer Survivor and Senior Athlete

Message 2 of 3

One of my fave bits of her story: 

"To go from being overweight and feeling uncomfortable on a bike to where I am now, going an average of 23 miles an hour in a time trial, that's an accomplishment. But if I can do it, anybody can do it. Yes, I was a dancer and had done running, b ut I'm not a star athlete. I would have laughed at you if you had told me three years ago I could get on a bicycle and race."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

The Great Awakening: Cheryl Cherry, Breast Cancer Survivor and Senior Athlete

Message 3 of 3

The Great Awakening - Cheryl Cherry, 67, Clermont, Florida

Cheryl Cherry, senior cyclistCheryl Cherry, senior cyclist

To watch Cheryl Cherry cycle in competition, one would not believe she only took up the sport less than four years ago at age 63. But there she was, at the top of her game, winning a gold medal in the 10K and silver in the 5K time trials in the 2015 National Senior Games presented by Humana.

To meet Cheryl, you would not know from the smiling face and upbeat personality that she has endured challenges that include a harrowing battle with one of the deadliest forms of breast cancer. But here she is, loving life and spreading enthusiasm to others about the benefits of being highly active at any age.

At age 43, she was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. A then-experimental procedure for a modified radical mastectomy requiring a team of surgeons was recommended, and the surgery lasted eight hours. Cheryl applied positive thinking to fully recover, and has remained cancer-free.

However, as you will read in the following conversation, the weight problem continued to affect her wellness until she had what she calls “The Great Awakening” in 2011. It was then that she decided she was going to become trim and fit again. With the help of her husband Tom, a former physical education teacher and football coach, and her son, who introduced her to resistance training, Cheryl transitioned from spin bike to road cycling and has gradually melted off 50 pounds. The competition bug bit again when she entered her first time trial in 2013, and the National Senior Games became her “carrot” goal to keep training. Her husband also joined in and the couple rides and trains together.

Tidbits from the interview:

We were told you’ve been raising money for charity with your smartphone. Can anyone do that?

Yes! Charity Miles is an awesome phone app you can download. It's free and tied into GPS. You can bike, walk or run. You choose from a list of several charities, and then you raise 25 cents a mile for walking or running, and ten cents a mile for biking. When the miles are recorded they tweet back an appreciation. Unfortunately, you don’t get miles when you are on a stationary trainer or spin bike, but it is a big motivation to get in as many miles as possible outside.

Over the past two years we each put in over 7,000 miles training before the Nationals and our goal was to hit 10,000 by the end of 2015. We reached that goal after training for the Florida State Senior Games last December.

It's really a nice thing to know every mile we rode was raising money for charity while we trained. If we got to 28 miles on a day, we would decide, 'Let's ride until we get 30.' We put in a lot of hours of hard training. I hoped all the extra training would pay off, and it did!" [Laugh]

I can really thank Charity Miles for giving me the extra motivation to train harder. I've been promoting it since I started with it because it's a phenomenal and healthy way to contribute.

Cheryl Cherry uses Charity Miles to raise funds for charity while she works out.Cheryl Cherry uses Charity Miles to raise funds for charity while she works out.Sounds like you are paying it forward with a desire to share the fitness benefits of Senior Games.

Oh yes. The Senior Games is my carrot, my motivation to keep going and work harder. I spoke to a Silver Sneakers class recently about all the things they could do in Senior Games. I told them if you can just gain control of your mind, you will conquer your body. I tell people "Look, it's not as hard as you think it is. You don't have to sit on the couch. You don't have to be depressed. Get out there and find someone to help you get going."

Read on to pick up a little Personal Best sunshine from this Florida native.ead the complete interview with this inspiring senior athlete here: http://nsga.com/health-wellness/2016-04-20-13-52-56/personalbest/the-great-awakening