Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Best Exercise for Aging Muscles

Message 12 of 21

I do walking around my pool in the wintertime and in the summer, begin to swim laps, jump, whatever suits your fancy.  I do sit-ups, leg stretches, arm wind ups and reverse, hugs galore and the doctors also told me I have osteoporosis, which can result in fractures ( so they say, as well).  

I have already fallen down, missed my back and head, hit my ribs on a end table, >, that point and my arm hit the table with a loud thud.  I kept telling myself - It didn't Happen- till the pain subsided.  Did I break anything?- NOTHING!!  So, believe in yourself and keep on exercising, you can do what ever you want.  Try 2 days then build it to 3 days and yes, do breathing exercises- it makes your mind at peace.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21
Every morning, I do a mix of strength exercises, including "hard" pushups, and some yoga asanas - cow/cat, bridge, boat, plank, downward dog, warrior. That is followed by fast walking about 2.5 miles outdoors, no matter the weather.
Twice weekly I teach a one hour Tai Chi for Health class, and once a week take a yoga class.
Nightly, before bedtime, I do a 5-6 minute Tai Chi form.
Proper breathing, posture, balance and strength are key elements of all.

I'm 70, have osteoporosis with high risk of fracture (so they say), and have been exercising daily since my mid-twenties.

How do I persevere? It's like brushing your teeth - you do it regardless. If I have to, I'll modify and do what I can, as long as I can.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

I was a fitness instructor as a second job for many years.  I taught "tricks" to keep a person moving even if they "didn't have time".  At age 78 I still run, but now I mix walking with the running and it keeps my leg muscles strong.  When I'm waiting for my bathtub to fill up, I do wall pushups for both my biceps and triceps.  I do squats and toe raises near the stove when I'm waiting for my oatmeal to cook at breakfast.  Isometrics for the stomach all the time and I don't even need to get down on the floor.  I hold in my "tummy" and make sure I keep breathing.  When I pass a mirror or window where I can see my reflection, I make sure I stand up straight - "taller" I tell myself - and hold in those abs.  I keep a small rubber ball near the phone and when I'm talking I sqeeze the ball, alternating hands, to strengthen my hand and finger muscles.  And the best exercise of all - I smile a lot to keep those facial muscles from drooping.  It's interesting, but when I do that other people return the smile, so we're exercising together!    C'mon - try it with me.....smile!  Smiley Happy Thanks.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

I saw the availability of this article elsewhere, but the site demands payment to view it.  Sadly I'm too poor to access the article.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

Is it that more women are involved in life-extension and healthier life styles than men are? Or are sites such as this designed for men as well? As an aging septuagenarian with several debilitating joint and surgical issues (rotator cuff, spinal fusion resulting in neuropathy, radiation for prostate cancer , as well as arthritis etc etc), I find that motivation becomes much more difficult, although I have maintained a healthy weight, I fear I'm tending to a far more sedentary life style - and the "use it or lose it" bird is roosting on my shoulder.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

I’m 69 and have been working out since I was 39.My workout is lifting weights 3 days a week also for cardio I walk 7days and do the elliptical machine. I do not feel my age and hope to continue my work out for many years to come.It is the best way to grow older.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

I am 61 years old and have been an big fan of the Elliptical for the past 15 years averaging 20+ miles per week. About three months ago, I purchased a high-quality rowing machine. I have added 15000 meters of rowing to my weekly elliptical training. 

The difference in my body is just incredible!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

We share hundreds of exercises for those over 50 on our YouTube channel  - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4CF2GiDg1QacnaUtY1OvGg

Actively Yours,
Alexandra
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

>It seems as if the decline in the cellular health of muscles associated with aging was “corrected” with exercise, especially if it was intense, says Dr. Sreekumaran Nair, a professor of medicine and an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic and the study’s senior author. In fact, older people’s cells responded in some ways more robustly to intense exercise than the cells of the young did — suggesting, he says, that it is never too late to benefit from exercise.<

Now if I just felt like getting up off the couch..  LOL

OK  not really funny.  Sometimes you do get tired and don't feel like exercising but if you look at the results of not doing it..  well there is the motivation.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors