Social Butterfly

Tell Us About Your Indoor Plants! Pictures Would Be Awesome 🍃

• This discussion was created March 25, 2021.
  • We would luv to hear about your plants.
  • Pictures are welcome. 😁
Angela
Recognized Social Butterfly

Musa 'Truly Tiny' (a type of dwarf banana, edible)

TrulyTiny1-25-19.jpg

musa 'Little Prince'  (another kind of dwarf edible banana)

LittlePrince10-26-18.jpg

Social Butterfly

💥Monday - June 14, 2021💥

@aruzinsky lovely!!! Do the miniature bananas taste just like the larger version? I luv bananas (hope I spelt it correctly/lol).

Angela
0 Kudos

Yes.  But, I have another variety, dwarf Namwah. that tastes slightly sour.

An interesting fact about bananas is that the sap, which is colorless, produces a brown stain on clothes when it dries that is impossible to remove by conventional means such as laundry bleach.

Nepenthes is a genus of tropical carnivorous plants.  Insects are caught and digested in pitchers at the end of tendrils that are also used for climbing.  Here is an unidentified species shortly after I bought it at Home Depot, for $12.99, in 2018:

Nepenthes10-26-18.jpg

Here is its flower in 2020:

NepentheseFlower1_2-23-20.jpg

Recently, I rooted four cuttings and did an experiment in which I applied a gibberellic acid solution to developing pitchers.  The largest pitcher in the following was thus treated:

NepenthesGA3_4-10-21.jpg

A relative of banana, Musella Lasiocarpa flower is 14 inches wide:

MusellaLasiocarpa.jpg

It took me 2.5 years to grow from a small plant.

I grew these clivia hybrids from small seedlings.  The company that I purchased them from said that the flower on the left would be red and the one on the right would be double. Years later, I find that I was ripped off.

clivia3-28-21.jpg

Community Manager
Community Manager

here are a few of my indoor babes 🌱 i'd love to see how yours grows @EnjoyingMyLifeInVA! share photo updates periodically, if you can 😊

monstera ginny (also might be a philodendron? i dunno - it was labeled as a monstera ginny)

monstera ginny (2).jpg

golden pothos (fairly new, very excited for her to start vining!)

pothos.jpg

spider with plantlets and an air plant

spider and air plants.jpg

Conversationalist

@EnjoyingMyLifeInVA 

I have an orchid (currently in bloom), a jade plant and I’m not sure what the large one is; but I do know it is 24 years old! It started as a small plant, among others, in a dish garden.

5628EA1F-FA09-4926-81C9-B77A68638A8D.jpeg

@EnjoyingMyLifeInVA wrote:

20210325_110019.jpg

I would luv to see pictures? 😀

Social Butterfly

@LindaB671 wrote:

I have an orchid (currently in bloom), a jade plant and I’m not sure what the large one is; but I do know it is 24 years old! It started as a small plant, among others, in a dish garden.

5628EA1F-FA09-4926-81C9-B77A68638A8D.jpeg

💥💥Lol, found it @LindaB671 🤣😂 Any UPDATES or pictures? No pressure as usual 😉 💥💥

Angela
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@EnjoyingMyLifeInVA I almost forgot about this little guy who lives in one of my bathrooms. Also, I like to keep a little vase or two of fresh flowers on my kitchen windowsill.

CB275780-7A3D-45B0-B581-3369D74D2DA8.jpeg

BA96D5BA-04E8-47EF-8627-ECB49ED328B0.jpeg

Conversationalist

@EnjoyingMyLifeInVA Surprisingly, the orchid is STILL in bloom! I also have a yellow dahlia and pink begonia from Mother’s Day to plant outside. 

313754E3-22E1-4C40-AB07-FCB05FD16BDA.jpeg

D57B3F4B-AF6A-4FAA-A0C8-B2425760AD2E.jpeg

Social Butterfly

💥May 20, 2021💥

@LindaB671 those are AWESOME!!! Angela

Angela
Community Manager
Community Manager

that orchid is gorgeous @LindaB671! i see lots of roots - do you have it in potting medium? also, 24 years is incredible! i hope i have plant that old someday. i don't have kids, i just have plants and a dog 😁

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

@AARPRachelA I really like your plants, especially the climbing one and the air plant. No, I do not have the orchid in a planting medium. I just water it occasionally. 🌱

Social Butterfly

💥May 25, 2021💥

Oh my goodness, beautiful @LindaB671 !!!! 24 years old, wow 😱 Angela

Angela
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Members Can Earn Cash Back

Earn 3% cash back rewards at gas stations and drug stores with AARP Membership. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Join Us For a Concert!

Celebrate Black Music Month and learn more about the powerful connections between music and health during an AARP virtual performance featuring R&B singer Raheem DeVaughn on June 28, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. EST. Register Here.

AARP Concert Series