Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: TOP 10 REASONS TO START WALKING TODAY

Message 1 of 22

Butterfly,

My prescription for lyrica came in the mail today.  Starting low.  Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

Finding money.  I once found a $100 bill lying in the street while I was walking my dog.  No lie!  Some little rich kid lost his lunch money.  Friends said it was a drug deal gone bad.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

@nyadrn wrote:

Why should you start walking? Walking for 30 to 60 minutes each day is one of the best things you can do for your body, mind, and spirit. Here are great reasons to start walking.

The Honolulu Heart Study of 8000 men found that walking just two miles a day cut the risk of death almost in half. The walkers' risk of death was especially lower from cancer. Other studies have had similar findings - if you keep walking, you improve your chances of a longer and healthier life.

More

https://www.verywellfit.com/top-reasons-to-start-walking-3435095?utm_campaign=fitsl&utm_medium=email...

No, no, no. #1 is:

Find money lying on the sidewalk.

Proof:

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/AARP-and-Walgreens-Will-Pay-You-0-01-Per-Mile-...

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

For the neuropathy pain in the feet, have you tried alpha lipoic acid?  Start with 100 mg twice a day.  If that doesn't work go up to 300 mg twice a day, and finally 600 mg twice a day, if necessary.  Be sure to get a brand that does NOT contain vitamin B6, as too much of that can actually cause symptoms of neuropathy.  Alpha lipoic acid shouldn't have any side effects, but if you're taking lots of medications, it's best to check them against alpha lipoic acid to make sure your meds and the alpha lipoic acid don't interact.  I hope it works for you.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22

@MartinG987436 wrote:

I don't have much choice.  I quit driving 6 months ago.  Now it's all by foot or by bus.  I've battled neuropathy over 2 years in my foot and every step is agony.  I've tried EVERYTHING.  A laser scam (guaranteed) and accomplished nothing but left me $3400 poorer. Lyrica is a choice but weight gain is possible and I tried too hard to take off 40 lbs. 3 years ago.  I'd rather put up with the pain than gain that back again.

Did "EVERYTHING" include opiates?  I take an opioid before walking and it works wonders. 

Also, did you try a topical cream containing lidocaine on your foot?  You can buy 4% lidocaine over the counter and I suspect stronger with a prescription.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

Activity is Longevity of external and internal body parts. Walking and swimming two great choices for movement. Legs, knees and feet carry the rest of the body. Walking strengthens bones, veins, arteries and muscles and enhance heart, lung and brain function. I salute you and your husband! You are champions at your age.You put some young people to shame.

God bless you two to continue sojourneying on for many more fruitful years walking together!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

A year after hip replacement and I feel great. Keep walking!  Especially if you work at a desk, get up and around through to out the day.  So important.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

Three miles every day average 5 days per week lowered cholesterol significantly, daily quality of life discussions with partner, relieve political anxiety.  Highly recommended!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

My husband and I recently started walking in the evenings because we both wanted to look and feel our best.  We have also modified our diet with healthier food choices.  After three weeks he is 8 pounds down and I am 5.  We plan to keep it up.  I find that we also talk to each other more than we have in a long time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

Getting outdoors, 1 hour outside, the exercise is secondary to me, I walk after work every day, I work from a home office, so I need to get out.

The exercise part is secondary because I 'exercise' first thing in the morning in a workout area in the basement. 

Kudos
Views